An online paper presentation contest on CE.

CEans,

This idea (details included below) struck my mind sometime early this morning ๐Ÿ˜. We have a huge base of students from various parts of the world. Most of them participate in paper presentation contests. Why not conduct our own paper presentation contest on CE?

Idea explained :-

We'll announce the contest on CE Forums. A list of 5-10 topics will be published. Students can then work on these topics and come up with their own papers/power point presentations. We'll have a panel of judges [senior members of CE from various engineering disciplines] who will select 3 winners. The winners will received gifts & certificates.

Let me know your thoughts on this idea or any other free form ideas/ suggestions you may have in this thread. I bet this is going to be a lot more interesting ๐Ÿ˜€

What say you? ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Great Idea Biggi!!!

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    *Waiting to participate *
  • Differential
    Differential
    Nice Idea !.....
    But, I have a doubt. Paper presentation, as its name suggest includes presentation part as well. How are we gonna judge a paper without it being presented.

How about asking contestants to record a video of their presentaion? Not appealing to me even as it involves lot of costly efforts to contestants.

What do you say?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Differential
    Nice Idea !.....
    But, I have a doubt. Paper presentation, as its name suggest includes presentation part as well. How are we gonna judge a paper without it being presented.

How about asking contestants to record a video of their presentaion? Not appealing to me even as it involves lot of costly efforts to contestants.

What do you say?
    Awesome idea. Let the contestants load it on youtube! A paper presentation alone would be too easy ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good point, Differential.

There could be various ways.

1. Users upload their presentations on SlideShare and share the link.
    2. Users record their videos and send them to us.

What would be the best time to conduct this contest?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I guess the best time woud be after their examinations ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Differential
    Differential
    Frankly speaking, in India, the exams are taken on wide speard time schedule for diff colleages and universities. But still let us target the time when most of the folks are exam-free.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    wait, wait.
    Now, mine is a slow connection and I will find uploading on youtube difficult. It'll be difficult even for very small sized files. So, what do people like me do??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Don't worry, we'll work out a solution that works for all !
  • Black_Rose
    Black_Rose
    That's cool Big K, great idea. If it's after two weeks, I'd love to participate too!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Not very soon. We'll have to spend time getting the sponsors. It's not happening in next two weeks, for sure.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yep Biggie but i think we can not Set the date which suits to all the members so let we select Members First which are going to present the paper or Ppt presentation then we will set the date... and of course we must have Sponsors.. i am trying here in my company if i got something from them.
  • slashfear
    slashfear
    Paper presentation hmmmm sounds good bigiee ๐Ÿ˜!!!! bring it on we are ready to participate ๐Ÿ˜‰

As godfather said, its better to select the members who are going to participate then fix a date, i think it would be better ๐Ÿ˜’
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Me no student. me too old to be student. but will help any way I can.
    Idea is pretty good, yes. biggie keep us posted, you must.
  • enthudrives
    enthudrives
    Great idea. I would like to participate. But the dates and topics should be announced earlier. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @enthudrives: We'll announce the competition well in advance. But be sure to check CE forums daily ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • enthudrives
    enthudrives
    Ok sure. I created an account long time back. But going through the forums only today. I'll check out everyday
  • ultimo
    ultimo
    Hey sure, thats a great idea.Waiting for it......When are you planning to host it???? Instead of the video, why not record our voices and merge it with the presentation and post it??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why do we need video / audio? Let's only collect papers. This activity needs deep planning.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think a video or audio will add some fun into it. I think submitting just a paper is a bit too bland for a forum like us ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm game for video/audio presentation. I was only concerned about the participation it'd receive.

Such a competition will need bigger prizes (I believe) to generate interest from members.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have a suggestion here , We can have a section called CE - Press
    Where all the papers are placed and general press releases about our CE can be placed.

How is it?
    if already planned /placed let me know ๐Ÿ˜€
    if not check the usefulness/feasibility to implement the same..

Thanks
  • smita89
    smita89
    yeah.. great idea biggie!! rolling up my sleeves already!

Although the video idea seems really cool, it might be difficult adding it on youtube for people who have a pitiable internet connection (moi included). So yeah PP format is ok for the presentations and maybe the can have a LIVE chat with the top 5 participants and get some Q/A done.

After all, no PP is complete without that. ๐Ÿ˜ so what say?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. I've had a different plan earlier. I'll share it with you -

1. Call for Power Point Slides from the participants.
    2. Select the top 10.
    3. Have a telephonic chat with the participants (the selected ones) to ensure the didn't copy the ideas from some place.
    4. Select top 3. All presentations can then be shared on CE through SlideShare shows.

Audio / video will add jizz; but I'm afraid, it will affect the participation.
  • smita89
    smita89
    telephonic chat sounds good!! Who's going to pay for all those calls i wonder ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Incoming calls are free, Smitzy. Don't worry.
  • smita89
    smita89
    Incoming calls are free, Smitzy. Don't worry.
    Oh yes.. totally forgot about that.
    *dumb moment*
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hint: Skype is totally free (incoming & outgoing ๐Ÿ˜‰ )
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Now this is a good idea. It appeals to me..

Let's do this. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • smita89
    smita89
    oh brilliant.. i forgot about skype too!

I think that is the reason why I'm a mere mortal, whereas biggie is the ADMIN ๐Ÿ˜
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    I can't wait to participate ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    This contest needs planning and I brainstormed this idea with few people who'd help in organizing this contest.

The proper time to launch such a contest would be around August, I guess. Say what you? ๐Ÿ˜
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    any date after 26th June would be great and giving something like 10 days for preparation also, mid july or august whatever suits you the best. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    The_Big_K
    Why do we need video / audio? Let's only collect papers. This activity needs deep planning.
    I agree with BIG_K, writing a paper needs extensive research. A presentation is just a cherry on the cake. Maybe a Poster design contest relating to the paper will be easier to implement. ๐Ÿ˜

Anyway Im GAME.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, surely. I'm currently involved in 3 big projects that need my total attention. In the mean time, can few of the volunteers design the contest. I"ll chip in at the right point.
  • kashish0711
    kashish0711
    I will try to propose a format by midnight. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    hello BIG_K

This topic almost drifted into oblivion. Are you still thinking of organising this contest, then I have a format ready, If you'd like to have it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Share it with folks here!
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    STEP I: Online submission of abstract.

STEP II: Selection of 10 best entries by judges.

Step III: Submission of complete papers by the top 10 entries.

STEP IV: Publishing the papers as THREADs in CE for questions from s and judges

STEP V: Selction of top 3 winner papers based on Q&A on threads by judges.

Hows that sound BIGGIE? Is this Cool with you?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm. Sounds good. What say you, folks?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Good plan. Let's do this!! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Nice concept but rather than questioning here as a post i suggest to make a conference in which judge will ask question and candidate have to answer them at a time.

First of all can we decide the seminar or poster presentation topic or let them coming from candidate's side.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I will help in managing this contest.
    Guys its time to find out judges? ๐Ÿ˜€ yes we have great minds here on CE. Time to make them post for judges.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    LEt's not limit the number of papers by pre definining topics. Innovation knows no bounds...
  • wassup
    wassup
    This is cool. I guess we need to classify the topics so right people can judge it. Cleantech enthusiast bring it on ๐Ÿ˜€ Lets see if we can get some real stuff out there.
  • shashank734
    shashank734
    i m waiting like this comptition............

hey topics must be latest and best.........
  • oaskanta
    oaskanta
    yes thats quite true sir....... audio/video will increase expenses and it will also not let members like me who have a slow net connection from uploading the videos..... we can any time give paper or slide presentations easily..... that will also portrait one's knowledge in the field..... besides queries can be asked here and minimum time alloted to clarify them....won't that work out????
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    I am ready to participate mate...
    Please note that i am a diploma candidate mate and please give topics for we guys too else give use freedom to select our own title mate...
    Thanks
  • safwan
    safwan
    i tooooo ready to participate. but i am not soure i will be able to meet the requirements.
  • arjunoids
    arjunoids
    good idea.
    i would like to give one suggestion.
    make a separate section in the website with only text content (since image take more time to load) & no images. and most of the web browsers(older versions) load images first.
    so, the contest pages will open very quickly.
    or, you can even make a separate website for the contest (just a temporary one).
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    ๐Ÿ˜•hi ,
    but i have a doubt.will all engineering disciplines be grouped together or will there be different categories.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CIVILPRINCESS
    ๐Ÿ˜•hi ,
    but i have a doubt.will all engineering disciplines be grouped together or will there be different categories.
    The details are yet to be worked out. I'm guessing that general engineering topics is the way to go.

Otherwise, we could ask members to submit presentations on their own topics and then evaluate the entries based on the depth of knowledge, ideas presented, level of understanding etc.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    ok!
    i cant wait to get involved with this paper presentation
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Biggie, when this competetion will be ?
  • ankur verma
    ankur verma
    this seems to be exciting. i am eager to participate in it.
    thank you big k for giving us such a new platform.

i am waiting for the topics and date to be announced.

and please let me know that whether any preferences to undergraduate/ postgraduate is given or this is an open event.

thank you.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We've zero discrimination on CE. Anyone will be able to participate.
  • sandhiyabalraj
    sandhiyabalraj
    ITS A GOOD IDEA .iam waiting for the topics...
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    @Sandhiyabalraj - Welcome to CE, Online paper presentation final date is gone now. We all are just waiting for the results to be announced.

For your reference you can read all the selected papers at this location: #-Link-Snipped-#

-CB
  • kkumar9989
    kkumar9989
    nice idea.
  • Vinothmathaiyan
    Vinothmathaiyan
    Hi Guys,

How is this going. We are working on similar concept for presenting paper. This was started in helping students.
  • KAMAL MANDAL
    KAMAL MANDAL

Sir but when it will held can you tell the date and the link or where to send??

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#รข€ - The contest was held back in 2009. Please look at the date of the first post.ร‚ย 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-#รข€ , what exactly is being attempted?

Technical domain knowledge and writing skills, or presentation skills?

If the former then then a paper/ powerpoint /poster should suffice.

This would put all on a level field.

CE can have a separate competition for presentation skills.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

This is an old thread, sir. We had a contest back then. We'll come up with more such contests in near future.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I noticed that only after I posted a reply.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone.... i want to ask wat is the best antivirus software now? and where can i download it? ๐Ÿ˜€
Is it allowed to post a job in this forum.
Does anybody have any experience width Ciena DWDM equipment? How is it? My company is engaging multi million dollars deal with them. What I have to prepare for? Do I...
It's been awhile since we've heard of any major advancements in the world of quantum cryptography, but at long last the silence is being broken by a squad of jubilant...
Intuit Technology services, Bangalore is looking for Senior QTP Engineers (6+ years). If anyone is interested please send your profile to Regards, Sowmya