An insect with functional gears on hind legs

There are no examples of wheels in biological systems. One would think that gears would be even less likely. However, researchers have discovered a gear mechanism in a jumping insect.

Coming to think of it, this is not as incongruous. gears help modify speeds and need not always rotate all round. There are many mechanisms in which the gears move through a fraction of 360 degrees.

Here is more:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Nature always has a answer for our questions.
  • Merle Lurry
    Merle Lurry
    Thanks for info.

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

IgNobel Prizes are given for whacky research. This years prize goes to a truly whacky invention any CEan can be proud of. It is for an antihijacking device. What is...
When Apple introduced the iPhone 5 Touch ID, we went ga-ga over the innovation that the company had brought to smartphones. Well, here some news that is sure to baffle...
GM Guys, Today after reading the newspaper, i was a bit disturbed. There is a launch of Drinking Water Bottles by TN Govt @Rs 10/ litre. In comparison with the...
Nokia, the Finnish mobile manufacturer has unveiled two new feature phones, the Nokia 108 and Nokia 108 Dual-SIM. Both the phones have been given a price tag of $29 (Rs....
During training in BHEL somehow I know that recently Indian railway is replacing DC traction motors by induction motors but I failed to know how the speed control is done...