AMD vs Intel

Let me make it simple. Need a laptop. Not sure whether should i go for AMD or Intel? Suggestion?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    For job or for processor?
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    What do you mean by for job or for processor?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    prabakarnaidu
    What do you mean by for job or for processor?
    I guess you had not mentioned that you need a laptop in your original post. Anyways.

Go with INTEL.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I hate to admit it, but most applications (including engineering ones) and games run better on Intel Core2Duo chips than on AMD's equivalent. In addition, they have less heat dissipation (things have improved much since P4), and longer battery life. So what you get in the end is a good performing laptop that is quiet and run on batteries for long.

Of course, AMD's are much cheaper though, and they are still a formidable force in the desktop segment. My next build will have an Athlon X2 chip 😉 I can't wait till the Deneb chips come out next year.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Ok, i thought AMD will perform better than Intel. Based on Ash review, Intel will be a better choice. Any particular model or some help in configuration? Prefer a 14.1''
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Confused between HP and Toshiba!!!
  • krishniha
    krishniha
    go for Toshiba
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    krishniha
    go for Toshiba
    Any particular reason?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Write down your purpose behind buying a laptop. That will help us answer your query better.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    1. Replacement for my current laptop which is with me for the past 4 years
    2. Engineering applications (VHDL, Matlab and so on)
    3. Games (not 24/7 but sometimes)
    4. Multitasking applications

What do you think about this model --> HP Pavilion dv4-1028us 14.1" Widescreen Laptop
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Budget will be around USD1000/-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    prabakarnaidu
    Ok, i thought AMD will perform better than Intel. Based on Ash review, Intel will be a better choice. Any particular model or some help in configuration? Prefer a 14.1''
    For Laptops, Intel is reigning king at the moment, especially with their centrino stuff. AMD's Turions are not cutting it. Even in the desktop segment, Intel played their ace with the C2D technology. Many commercial software are being optimized to C2D multicore technology such as MATLAB, CAD, etc. I've recently seen an ad when NI's Labview explicitly takes advantage of Intel's quad core technology. I'm not sure why the "hate" against AMD, but perhaps its similar with the situation of Microsoft and Linux apps 😉

However, in a year or two, AMD will come back with some nifty tech of their own. The K10 will become matured after a while and more people will start to accept it. When Deneb and Shanghai showcases, it should be an interesting time for us consumers (and engineers)!

What do you think about this model --> HP Pavilion dv4-1028us 14.1" Widescreen Laptop
    Are these the specs?

Product Name dv4-1028us Product Number FE741UA#ABA Microprocessor 2.00 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P7350 Microprocessor Cache 3 MB L2 Cache Memory 4096 MB Memory Max 8192MB Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 Video Memory Up to 1795 MB Hard Drive 320 GB (5400 rpm) Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support Display 14.1” diagonal WXGA High-Definition Brightview Infinity Display (1280 x 800) Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN Wireless Connectivity Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN Sound Altec Lansing speakers Keyboard 101-key compatible Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad PC Card Slots
    • One ExpressCard/54 slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
    External Ports
    • 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
    • 3 Universal Serial Bus USB 2.0
    • 3rd port shared with eSATA
    • 1 VGA (15-pin)
    • 1 HDMI
    • 1 RJ-11 (modem)
    • eSATA + USB 2.0
    • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
    • 2 headphone-out
    • 1 microphone-in
    • 11 notebook expansion port 3
    • 1 Consumer IR
    Dimensions 13.15 in (L) x 9.45 in (W) x 1.34 in (min H) / 1.57 in (max H) Weight 5.08lbs Security
    • Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
    • Power-on password
    • Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
    Power
    • 65 W AC Adapter
    • 6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
    What's In The Box HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

Mobile Stereo Earbud Headphones (1 pair)

HP Mobile Remote Control
    The CPU is great, better than the mainstream T5XXX series in laptops. It's a 45nm process with 1066MHz FSB! The large 3MB cache size will help in compiling as well. The 4GB memory is MORE than enough!

One issue is the integrated gfx chip. Usually this is not a problem with many applications, but gaming might suffer a little. Also, HP's are notorious with their problems with Linux OSes. I'm not sure if things have changed now.. but you better check out linux forums to see who this model fares.

Why don't you also check out the Dell XPS 1530? It's quite a powerful laptop with a very decent gfx chip. But at the same price range (of USD 1000 I assume), it uses a less powerful CPU chip.

#-Link-Snipped-#

I believe Big K has a Dell XPS laptop 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I own XPS m1210 😀
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    ash
    One issue is the integrated gfx chip. Usually this is not a problem with many applications, but gaming might suffer a little.
    How bad could it be? How about in terms of NFS Undercover, Prostreet?

ash
    Also, HP's are notorious with their problems with Linux OSes. I'm not sure if things have changed now.. but you better check out linux forums to see who this model fares.
    It comes with Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1, so i don't think so I'm going to change to Linux

ash
    Why don't you also check out the Dell XPS 1530? It's quite a powerful laptop with a very decent gfx chip. But at the same price range (of USD 1000 I assume), it uses a less powerful CPU chip.
    Have checked out XPS1530, first thing I prefer a 14.1" inch display, much more lighter. The configuration seems to be lower than HP dv4-1028us and price goes up when I customize it the same as HP dv4-1028us (USD830=RM2925)
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Sorry for troubling with too many doubt.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    prabakarnaidu
    How bad could it be? How about in terms of NFS Undercover, Prostreet?
    If you don't mind running games at very low settings and resolutions, then it should be alright 😉 I expect the CPU will take the brunt of software based graphic processing (like HDR). Expect sub 20 fps rates! Notch up the settings and you'll get down to 10 or even less.

It comes with Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1, so i don't think so I'm going to change to Linux
    Be careful with the 64 bit OS. The brunt of issues from Vista come from the 64 bit edition 😉 Hopefully SP1 has fixed a majority of the holes. In addition, most applications are still 32 bit, so they wont run as optimized as on a native 32 bit OS (sorta like emulated). Of course, you'll still get good security and protection. You should try Linux distros as well, they are quite cool.

Have checked out XPS1530, first thing I prefer a 14.1" inch display, much more lighter. The configuration seems to be lower than HP dv4-1028us and price goes up when I customize it the same as HP dv4-1028us (USD830=RM2925)
    XPS build quality (and warranty) is very good, a reason for it's sort of premium pricing. This is an important factor when you take the laptop around frequently. Try checking out Dell Studio 15 which is cheaper but still got some XPS quality in it.

The HP laptop should be fine if you don't rough it up much, or block the ventilation ports too often! Regarding warranty and servicing, I'm not too sure. I have an old compaq (now taken over by HP) laptop, and I called them up to ask what was the price for servicing some components. Despite me telling explicitly the issues, they told me send my laptop there before they can give a single quotation. The servicing place is far man!

You better ask around others who currently have HP laptops. Experience is a far better way to judge than assumptions 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tip: Use uBuntu. It rocks.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Having headache now deciding what should i go for! Running out of time, need to place the order by tommorow
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    HP dv4t

Operating system
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

Processor
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.0GHz)

Display
    14.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1280 x 800)

Memory
    3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)

Graphics card
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

Hard drive
    FREE Upgrade to 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit

Personalization
    [For BrightView Infinity Display] Webcam Only

Keyboard
    HP Color Matching Keyboard

Networking
    Wireless-G Card with Bluetooth

Integrated WWAN
    No Integrated WWAN

Modem Port
    No Modem

Primary DVD/CD drive
    LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support

TV & entertainment experience
    No TV Tuner w/remote control

Primary battery
    12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

Productivity software
    Microsoft(R) Works 9.0

How about this?
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    This is the site (below). Maybe you can help me decide.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Ok i have fixed myself with XPS 1530, now there are various config.s

What do you guys thinks for the spec below?

SYSTEM COLOR
    Tuxedo Black

PROCESSOR
    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.1GHz/800Mhz FSB, 3MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1

PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARE
    Microsoft Work

WARRANTY AND SERVICE
    2Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

LCD AND CAMERA
    Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera

MEMORY
    4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)

HARD DRIVE Size:
    320GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE
    Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)

VIDEO CARD
    256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

WIRELESS CARDS
    Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card

BATTERY OPTIONS
    56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

SOUND OPTIONS
    High Definition Audio 2.0

FINGERPRINT SCANNER
    Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    prabakarnaidu
    Ok i have fixed myself with XPS 1530, now there are various config.s
    I think the specifications you chose will go beyond the $1000 budget, yeah? If you don't mind that, then thats a very good laptop to go for.

The 8600M GT gfx will be really great for games! 😀 You can even run Crysis with it with medium settings.
  • prabakarnaidu
    prabakarnaidu
    Usd 1039/-

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was trying to solve this problem but got stuck.the problem goes like I have a string of 0's and ones which is to be inputted by the user .....
what is the principal for vacuume pump?
in my project i require bcd at port 0 and 3 of microcontroller 89s52 since there are three 7447 connected (i.e p0.0-p0.3 to 7447(1) lsb, p0.4-p0.7 to7447(1), p3.0-p3.3 to7447(3)msb) which...
Hello i want the use of delegates especially where exactly they use delegates and how .
i hope it is ok for this forum. may i invite all capricorns to join - it is a forum site for all capricorns. thanks.