Amazon Cloud Drive - Is 'Unlimited Everything' Worth The Price?

Amazon's announced the pricing for its online private cloud storage service 'Cloud Drive'. The unlimited everything plan is being offered at $59.99 (~Rs. 3751 per year). With that subscription you will be able to store almost everything you have on your machines - from files, photos, videos, important documents, music etc. Lot of people are calling this service disruptive in terms of its pricing (typical Amazon!).

Compare the pricing with the competitors:-
  • Dropbox: 1 TB : $100/year
  • Google Drive: 1 TB: $120/year
  • iCloud: 1TB: $240/year
Also note that Amazon's offering 3 month free trial of the service so nearly half the price of its closest competitor you get 15 months of subscription to store unlimited number of files. There are several advantages of it if you compare it with the portable USB drives or external HDDs.
  • Access it from anywhere without having to carry the drive with you
  • No fear of loss of data through physical damage
  • No limits on storage [your pen drive or HDD can store ~1TB]
Noteworthy Constraints: The mobile app for the cloud drive will limit the file uploads to 2GB. However, the desktop version will allow you to upload files of any sizes. That's storing your 4K videos shouldn't be any problem.

I'm tempted to give this service a try. What's your take?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    OOPS!

I totally missed two serious competitors: The OneDrive from Microsoft which offers 1TB (and existing customers are already being promised unlimited storage) for just about the same price and the subscription also comes with Office35 (HUGE +) and Skype's 60 minutes every month (HUGE ++). Will have to give it to Microsoft.

Then there's BlackBlaze that offers unlimited backup space for about $5/month ($60/year). They too seem to have a reliable product. I've not used any of the above so can't comment on the quality of the service. But there are several good reviews of all the above services.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I need help in making this project which wil be compeletely in C languagae..the concept is like suppose I have a .iso file and inside this file I have some...
After launching a series of phones, Asus is back to what it does best. One of the largest PC vendor in the world Asus launched the Asus Transformer Book T300...
Any one pls tell me how we can extract the exact data from the csv file in java
Hello everyone, I thought of starting this discussion so that there should be a place where people can find out about intern-ship opportunities. Please contribute
Google Glass was a product meant for researchers to find out the possibilities of wearable tech. Well, it seems, its competitor Sony has taken a step forward and launched the...