Aerospace Industry: Thin-Walled Component

hey all.

I don't know if I'm in the right section.
but I recently was assigned this project and I'm not really sure how to start it off.

I'm supposed to be doing a development of CAM & CNC machining of a thin walled component for the aerospace industry.

anyone here has any clue on this?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If the info is not classified can you get more details. Electric Discharge Milling, Electro Chemical Milling, Chemical Milling and Laser Machining can all be used where applicable to machine thin parts. There may be others here that can suggest ways if some more details are available.
    Caution: Please do not post sensitive info on open forums like this.
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    Can you please throw some more light to the project please?
  • Mahesh Pillai
    Mahesh Pillai
    A.V.Ramani
    If the info is not classified can you get more details. Electric Discharge Milling, Electro Chemical Milling, Chemical Milling and Laser Machining can all be used where applicable to machine thin parts. There may be others here that can suggest ways if some more details are available.
    Caution: Please do not post sensitive info on open forums like this.
    Real Aslam
    Can you please throw some more light to the project please?
    my main topic is development of CAM & CNC machining of a thin walled component.
    I'm not really sure what it is either. I'm really lost on how to start either.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mahesh Pillai
    I'm really lost on how to start either.
    So are we. All the methods that I suggested can be used. I have used all of them for aerospace applications.
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    Ramani sir can we use high speed water jets for machining.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Real Aslam
    Ramani sir can we use high speed water jets for machining.
    Sure. Though acccuracies are limited to about 0.15 mm. Mostly used for cut off.
  • Mahesh Pillai
    Mahesh Pillai
    I need to know some components of a plane that is thin.
    eg. flaps, landing gear, main wing.

after which I've to design them on a drawing software
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    Struts, ribs, cabin platform, propeller blades, stator blade, rotar blade.
    Are you gonna use catia for the drawing.
  • Mahesh Pillai
    Mahesh Pillai
    Real Aslam
    Struts, ribs, cabin platform, propeller blades, stator blade, rotar blade.
    Are you gonna use catia for the drawing.
    will be using unigraphics UG NX 7.5
    familiar with it?
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    Nope. I m familiar with catia v5r16 -catia v5r20 and auto cad.
  • Rahul99
    Rahul99
    If this is an Engineering College project then you could try SketchUp as well. It's a good CAD software for simple 3D sketching. Let me know if you need more help.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Rather open ended.
    Please see if any of these help:

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mahesh Pillai
    Mahesh Pillai
    Real Aslam
    Nope. I m familiar with catia v5r16 -catia v5r20 and auto cad.
    can you tell me some thin parts of an aeroplane
    such as ribs, rotor blades, fins, flaps, landing gear.
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    I think this site will be helpful for your project.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We have ample of threads pointing "must read books"/ "best books to read" etc. But can we have this thread sharing what leaders on the forum are reading/ read in...
BlueMaestro today launched a new device called Pacifi. It is the world’s first smart pacifier that monitors a baby’s temperature and transmits the data to an app on a parent’s...
Hello everybody, I was studying in my room for the semester and suddenly an idea popped out of an affordable (or cheapest) windows pc. This thought popped out for the...
So, I was reading lot of source code of various sites that are designed on Bootstrap3. I've come up with these three things: respond.js css3-mediaqueries.js html5shiv I'm having a hard...
The iOS 8.2 beta was released just 13 days ago. A Chinese based team of hackers called TaiG have already released the jailbroken versions for both, the iOS 8.2 beta...