Advice Required: What to choose between Bio-medical Enng and Soft Computing as elective?

On a very short notice, I found that I have to select one optional elective between biomedical instrumentation engineering and Soft computing in my 6th semester electronics and instrumentation course. I am at my wit's end, and can not decide which one to choose as both of them seem very interesting subjects to me. I have gone through the syllabus and found each one giving me full interest to study further. However both has pros and cons and for the first time I cant put one above the other. I have to decide ASAP, before 5th February. So, requesting each and every expert and generalist to help me understand my choice.
I would like to look upon this by checking the following:

1. Research perspective
2. Job perspective
3. Study time required ( I am not a person who engulfs information like mammoth,neither study hours after hours, I need time to understand every bit to store it in memory)
4. Its a question(descriptive): Whatever I take, the other one will be with me in home, I will study that in home and make sure I at least know about the subject enough to sit in exams. So in that scenario, will companies targetting that perticular subject will allow me to sit in exams? Eg: Companies like Thyrocare, will it allow me to sit for its placements if I choose soft computing instead of biomed?

Replies

• Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    #-Link-Snipped-# Ma'am if you please help me and tag people who can give full insights to the scope of both subjects, it will really save me from the dilemma.
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi all,

In our college we choose Bio medical engineering [Calicut University]. In Bio Medical we have working heart, Catheter, cathodes, other devices etc.

During the M.E. Soft computing was an elective but our lecturers said that its difficult. No one expertise is available in that college. So they choose Digital image processing.
    I think Soft computing consists of Fuzzy Logic, Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms.

Sorry to say my M. E. lecturers are only concentrating on the results. I remember when I attempted a problem in satellite communication, the invigilator mam(our first year AP) told me during the exams that dont attempt problems.

They need results and Quality suffers always.
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi all,

In our college we choose Bio medical engineering [Calicut University]. In Bio Medical we have working heart, Catheter, cathodes, other devices etc.

During the M.E. Soft computing was an elective but our lecturers said that its difficult. No one expertise is available in that college. So they choose Digital image processing.
    I think Soft computing consists of Fuzzy Logic, Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms.

Sorry to say my M. E. lecturers are only concentrating on the results. I remember when I attempted a problem in satellite communication, the invigilator mam(our first year AP) told me during the exams that dont attempt problems.

They need results and Quality suffers always.
    Hi Akhil,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I understand what you mean by less expertise in the particular subject. Even I felt teachers of my department were not confident enough to allot the subject however they introduced the subject as faculties are present who can take care of the subjects.

I would request you if you know someone who can explain every prospect I asked in the question Please tag him. If he is not in CE, Here is my email address: #-Link-Snipped-# , please pass the query.
    If any guest appears in CE who can help me out, please feel free to drop an e-mail in my inbox.
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Debasmita Banerjee
    Hi Akhil,

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I understand what you mean by less expertise in the particular subject. Even I felt teachers of my department were not confident enough to allot the subject however they introduced the subject as faculties are present who can take care of the subjects.

I would request you if you know someone who can explain every prospect I asked in the question Please tag him. If he is not in CE, Here is my email address: #-Link-Snipped-# , please pass the query.
    If any guest appears in CE who can help me out, please feel free to drop an e-mail in my inbox.
    My friend from Anna University Coimbature (For M.E. Communication system) opted this subject. I will update you as soon as possible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Less than five months after the launch of Canvas Juice 3, Micromax is planning to launch its successor, the Canvas Juice 4. The Micromax Canvas Juice 4 has surfaced on...
Project Abstract / Summary : This project is a new approach of speaking to the computer to create text documents in various Indian languages. A speech synthesizer and a speech...
Google has ventured into almost every market there is, and their new Google Fiber project is an extension of Project Fi, its cellular service backed by Sprint and T-Mobile networks....
In order to combat growing popularity of live video broadcasting mobile apps like Meerkat and Twitter’s Periscope, Facebook has now opened its live video sharing option to all iPhone users...
Hello, So it has been 2 days since I graduated from Electronics and Communication Engineering. But to be honest things are extremely depressing, I'm a guy who loves science so...