Advantages of curved displays

hi Guys now a days the mobile or smartphone companies are introduciing the curved screen phones the lg and samsung are launced or very near to launch them but can any body tell me why these companies are so curious to do this thing i am unable to understand the advantages of this design and why it is used.
friends the plain screen mobiles are very familier to every body and gives a great experience to the people then why does this new design is developed and if it is developed then am sure that there are some limitations of the plan screen. and to overcome these limitations these curved designs are developed.
So can anybody tell me what are the limitations and how can this curved shape will be able to remove those limitations.
Guys i think that for every step there should be a great reason to take that step and the person who wants to take that step then he should know the reason. So friends pls give me the reason for this new developed design. I think the curved screen make it uneasy to take the phone in pocket and the view area is also get minimised because the curved edge will be the reason of the view blockage from the other side is this not. Give reply guys which can able to solve my doubt.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Goooood question .I think its not about features or convenience , They are trying to explore the world of possibilities and next step in engineering .They try to say that they were ahead in the race of technology .
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    Goooood question .I think its not about features or convenience , They are trying to explore the world of possibilities and next step in engineering .They try to say that they were ahead in the race of technology .
    it is only that i don't think so
  • rohanrockxxx
    rohanrockxxx
    yogi.bharadwaj
    hi Guys now a days the mobile or smartphone companies are introduciing the curved screen phones the lg and samsung are launced or very near to launch them but can any body tell me why these companies are so curious to do this thing i am unable to understand the advantages of this design and why it is used.
    friends the plain screen mobiles are very familier to every body and gives a great experience to the people then why does this new design is developed and if it is developed then am sure that there are some limitations of the plan screen. and to overcome these limitations these curved designs are developed.
    So can anybody tell me what are the limitations and how can this curved shape will be able to remove those limitations.
    Guys i think that for every step there should be a great reason to take that step and the person who wants to take that step then he should know the reason. So friends pls give me the reason for this new developed design. I think the curved screen make it uneasy to take the phone in pocket and the view area is also get minimised because the curved edge will be the reason of the view blockage from the other side is this not. Give reply guys which can able to solve my doubt.

Introducing a slightly curved cylindrically concave screen is a very important and major innovation in Smartphone display technology – very far from being a marketing gimmick as has been widely reported. The Galaxy Round screen curvature is very subtle, just 0.10 inches away from flat, which is similar to the slight curvature in a handheld magnifying mirror. But that small curvature is the key to a series of optical effects that result in significantly reducing interference from reflected ambient light by a large factor. It substantially improves screen readability, image contrast, color accuracy, and overall picture quality, but can also increase the running time on battery because the screen brightness and display power can be lowered due to the reduced light interference from ambient light reflections. To see this for yourself and understand the size and importance of this effect, turn off the display but hold your Smartphone as if you’re using it and then walk around your normal environment, both indoors and outdoors.

All of the performance enhancements that we have discussed were clearly visible by holding and comparing the curved screen Galaxy Round with a virtually identical flat screen Galaxy Note 3. The Galaxy Round is currently only available in Korea due to the limited production capability for curved OLED displays. Samsung has informed me that as the production volume is increased, it will be introduced in other countries.

While LCDs can now be manufactured with curved glass screens, OLEDs can be manufactured with entirely flexible screens on a plastic substrate. The Galaxy Round is actually manufactured as a flexible OLED display that is then bonded to a curved cover glass. Maintaining it as a purely flexible display provides even greater performance and functionality enhancements. Flexible displays will have lots of applications, but a very important one is improving screen visibility by subtly bending away distracting light reflections. Curved is great but bendable is even better…

It will take several years before flexible displays become incorporated into actual production Smartphones and then into entirely new products, uses, and applications. It’s clear that flexible displays will have a profound effect on the use of most display based products starting in the very near future. The display world isn’t flat anymore, and in a few years it won’t even have to be round…!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello friends, i am here about 4-5 months back and i like this platform so much. Guys i searching for this kind of engineers platform from so long and my...
I Have eye sight, can i do b.tech in aeronoutical engineering??
I m abhishek yadav.I am doing my BE 3 rd yr in electronic and communication.i mThinking upon going for. Either vlsi training or java cousre. Need your suggestion whether I...
The most basic question that wasn't answered by any textbook - why is the gravitational force attractive in nature and not repulsive? Tried thinking about it for some time and...
According to a new research, computers that act like brains have been made possible. Human brain has the ability to learn from its own mistakes. Mimicking this behavior is the...