Advantages & Disadvantages of mirror-less digital camera?

I read some material online on mirror-less digital camera and it seems to offer two main advantages - large sensor and compact size. I however wonder whether a larger sensor would actually result in better quality of captured images (RAW image). I'm also looking to find most obvious disadvantages of these cameras, but haven't been able to find any - and I'm not sure why'd absence of TTL viewfinder will be a disadvantage?

Does anyone know?

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Image sensor size matters! And this can even be listed as the only thing which makes a DSLR capture better quality images than compact cameras and mobile phones. Well, there are many other facts, still its safe to say so.

Take an 18MP image sensor on a DSLR and a compact camera. Just as a picture is, an image sensor is made up of pixels too. Thus an 18MP sensor will have 18 million pixels squeezed in it. But a DSLR has a bigger sensor, meaning larger surface area, when compared to the compact camera. Now devide the whole surface area in to 18 million equal parts. DSLR will be having larger pixels, which means it can collect more light, which further implies better detail and quality. Besides that, a larger image sensor allows to bring more dramatic effects in the captured image like a 'boque' (fading out the background totally with keeping the foreground alone in sharp focus; though it is possible with a compact camera, the outcome is way too awesome with a digital single lens reflex camera having a large sensor). Be it RAW or Jpeg, the amount of light matters!

Mirror less cameras are provided with either electronic viewfinders or a non TTL viewfinder. A through the lens view finder is the fastest viewfinder, being not electronic but straight from the lens. An electronic viewfinder can get sluggish sometimes to show any change in the scene that is being shot. A non TTL viewfinder doesn't exactly show what the camera sees as in a TTL type. Without a mirror, only autofocus possible is contrast detection type which is too slow when compared to the phase detection type in DSLRs. Besides all these, a TTL gives a feeling that we see exactly what the camera does.

A word on image sensors
    Corner « zero
  • lal
    lal
    Happened to stumble on a post that Nikon has developed a faster contrast detection autofocus which is equally fast or faster than phase detection auto focus. Nikon claims the camera can focus equally fast as it's high end DSLR models. Well, the gap between mirrorless and SLR cameras are decreasing.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

...and that makes me wonder why Indian government can't spend all of that money in manufacturing defence equipment on its own? What does DRDO really do? Is it not just...
Bats are the only mammals that fly. They fly long distances. They do not have feathers and must have had a quite a bit of learning before achieving flight. There...
Founder of PepperSquare, Muki delivered a wonderful speech on entrepreneurship, which I believe is a must listen for every entrepreneur and wannapreneur. It's full of general stuff so even if...
can anyone tell me ebook download links of books for gate 2013 CS ??
i taught of doing hho(hydroxy) engine generator as my project! please suggest me, is it good or i should think better from that thanks in advance