Active low- high

I wish to know what is active low and active high in electronics?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Where in Digital pulses ?

Then High refers to 5V and Low to 0V

That also depends on the devices we use in the configuration

Active high in general refers to the triggering Voltage level of the device and Active Low is the voltage at which the device turns off
  • prashanth463
    prashanth463
    active high is the voltage where the circuit switches on and all the voltages lower than that voltage is considered as active low(where the device does not turn on)
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Active high of any circuit means the circuit will get activated only when there is high signal (this is the normal, straight operation). Active low is opposite i.e. the circuits which are active low will get activated when you supply low signal.

Eg. of active low mechanism is reset signal. The reset signals are generally active low. Under normal condition, you apply logic 1 to reset signal & when you wish to reset you supply 0. This is done to avoid false reset in case if its kept active high.
  • pikachu1994
    pikachu1994
    [Prototype]
    Active high of any circuit means the circuit will get activated only when there is high signal (this is the normal, straight operation). Active low is opposite i.e. the circuits which are active low will get activated when you supply low signal.

Eg. of active low mechanism is reset signal. The reset signals are generally active low. Under normal condition, you apply logic 1 to reset signal & when you wish to reset you supply 0. This is done to avoid false reset in case if its kept active high.
    This is exactly what i want thanks

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Which is better and why ? Just going to be using it for normal purposes and no complex tasks are going to be performed But I want some advice in...
i don't understand how a capacitor(however small its value might be) can hold the peak value of voltage supplied to it
I was thinking of trying out Windows and decided to download a copy on my Mac. Now, as soon as I head over to Microsoft India website and click on...
Hello everybody! It's so nice to see e books if they are new.
Hi ! everybody, this is aditya om , i'm a 1st year student at NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, RAIPUR...... PURSUING a b.tech degree in electronics and telecommunications engineering.