Absolute Zero: Interest Levels in Engineering Curve

Our interest levels in engineering don't remain constant. From dreams of finding new proprietary methods of producing aldehydes and oil exploration to a steady stream of CAT books while learning rote answers to give the software interview guys, it's a trip.

Some of us slog it out and become true engineers. Salute to you, chaps!
The rest of us can refer this handy-dandy chart.

AZ10

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think I was always interested in Engineering ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Final year, but still at the pH=7 stage! ๐Ÿ˜•
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The curve is a little different for me. It was "Who cares? the worst decision ever" in III year. Now my interest has peaked!
    Good comics #-Link-Snipped-# ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜ Frankly, I am so confused that I have no idea where do I plot my interest level in that chart.
  • Deepak Gopalakrishnan
    Deepak Gopalakrishnan
    It's too bad that interest levels in engineering have to dip. To my mind, it's because of two reasons:

1. Lack of clarity when applying: I've seen a lot of people, and I'm one of them, who is unaware about career choices and just goes along with engineering, and decide by their 3rd year what they really want to do.

2. The pedagogy itself: Like much of our school education, the emphasis seems to be on getting the subjects done with (faculty) and cramming 2 days before the exams to pass the exams (students). How much learning is imparted and how much is taken in? Zilch.

What can be done for this to change?

1. Have a clearer career choice: even if this means debating with your parents who want you to be an engineer. The loss of sheen of IT companies should help in the long term in this regard (I'm not even getting into how IT has killed traditional engineering interest... Another comic for that).

2. More industry exposure: In a BSchool, there is so much emphasis on interacting with industry. Not just through the internship program. It's important students get out there in the world and see for themselves what engineering actually is - vats, drums, floor people, machines and NOT diagrams. Which brings me to my last point...

3. Kill rote studying: The emphasis placed on rote studying in higher education is shocking. Who has time for concepts when all one can think of is mugging formulae? What, you think your supervisor is going to let you use the Darcy-Weishbach equation from memory while handling a mechanical flow worth crores? Give me a break, get real. In this age of technology and references, engineering should learn to embrace rather than to use archaic methods. Get students out for more internships. Let them see industry, and do things hands-on. These are the most exciting parts of engineering, not faking values in the lab so that your graph is of the correct shape.

Sorry for a long post!

Chuck
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    My levels and the chart levels looks completely differs ๐Ÿ˜• Anyway Nice work, chuck ๐Ÿ‘

And #-Link-Snipped-# - You can also mention the options like 'Before Coming to CE' and 'After Coming to CE' in the TIMELINE. Or for Normal Engineers and Crazy Engineers ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Reminds me of : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Nice comic ๐Ÿ˜€ I dont fall into any section up there ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    English-Scared
    Nice comic ๐Ÿ˜€ I dont fall into any section up there ๐Ÿ˜€
    Then you are either God or Devil ๐Ÿ˜

#-Link-Snipped-# Concepts are important. While people explain mugged up definitions and formulae. Me and my friends, make it a point to explain answers in Hindi/ Marathi to external examiner. I had my Viva and I fared well in it. That is because I was able to explain answers with PEN, PAPER and in my FLUENT MOTHER TONGUE. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Brilliant post, Chuck.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    One of my classmate is now in diamond business, Seems you have plotted his chart. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    chuckofalltrades
    It's too bad that interest levels in engineering have to dip. To my mind, it's because of two reasons:

1. Lack of clarity when applying: I've seen a lot of people, and I'm one of them, who is unaware about career choices and just goes along with engineering, and decide by their 3rd year what they really want to do.
    Since past 100 -150 years we Indians are used to just going with the flow when it comes to career choices.

In the days of our grandfathers everyone applied for post office jobs.
    Then in the age of our uncles everyone wished to get a job in a nationalised bank.
    In the days of our fathers everyone started aiming for Engineering.
    Now the buzzword is MBA.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    ๐Ÿ˜...Hmm nice post Chuck! - ๐Ÿ˜จ What!?? ๐Ÿ˜ก Mine is a cosine wave.

@Chuck you must consider everyone! ๐Ÿ˜
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    true to an extent.........but once you have done a project whose result is a robust piece of machinery, then the curve rises back to"great to be a b.tech" point
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Mr.Don
    ๐Ÿ˜...Hmm nice post Chuck! - ๐Ÿ˜จ What!?? ๐Ÿ˜ก Mine is a cosine wave.

@Chuck you must consider everyone! ๐Ÿ˜
    He wants to draw a generalized graph. Imagine if a graph for everyone is drawn, how would it look? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Issue
    He wants to draw a generalized graph. Imagine if a graph for everyone is drawn, how would it look? ๐Ÿ˜
    hmm, hard and odd but if it's - draw it in 9-D ๐Ÿ˜ view. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The graph reminds us that an engineering degree holding fresher has lost his interest in engineering when he needs his passion the most. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    What a misery.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Looks like the much awaited Android 4.0.4 firmware upgrade is now rolling out over the air for Motorola Xoom WiFi version. The owners of Motorola Xoom WiFi should quickly head...
CEans, if you face any issues with the system keeping you logged in; please post them here. Please make sure that you can repeat the issues and provide us detailed...
Our Ex-mod-squad member and CE-Star MaRo celebrates his birthday today. We wish you a very happy birthday MaRo. ๐ŸŽ‰
Rainmeter Supported: 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows XP (SP2+), Vista, 7, and 8. Rainmeter displays customizable skins, like memory and battery power, RSS feeds and weather forecasts, right on...
I want my login.jsp to take the principal and password and authenticate against KDC, I hav written the code for login module but when i deploy my war file ,...