About Job of a Mechanical Engineer

Dear all..

Il start by my introduction : I am a a mechanical engineering graduate, with average passing marks. I am currently working as a manager, and have no hands on practical experience.

My question is to all the Mechanical engineer's out there. On payroll, on the job, working, partime, maintenance, HVAC, sales, etc... anywhere in India.

I want to know what's the job of a mechanical engineer, in a manufacturing facility? After learning a plethora of information on Designing, how can i add up to a unit in manufacturing? how to boost production targets, how to apply what ive learnt.
How many of you remember exactly everything you learn in college. and if you do remember everything, how do you apply that into practical uses? could anyone state any examples?

Let me start by stating one :

Our company hired a consultant to design the HVAC system in the manufacturing facility. I joined a few months back, so i was not updated on the current scenario of the design. But he had all the designs of the facility and layout of the facility on paper. I understood parts of it, and parts of it were unclear. nevertheless, i didn’t give it much importance, cuz that would be something i had to sit and discuss with the person. what hit me more badly was a simple decision that had to be made regarding the Pump selection.

We wanted the chiller water to be received from pipes, which are installed and ruining inside a false ceiling, But, it required a higher pump capacity. Picture this : the pump is installed at ground level. it has to go 20m above ground level, and then though the falls ceiling, the chilled water is supposed to flow into the machine at around 5m from ground.
So not only capillary action wood play a role here, there would be sufficient loss of pressure at the topmost position, and who knows, and careful attention had to be paid to the Flow-rate.

Now i had learnt all this back in college. But now in practical application, I forgot what the formula was. Even if I remembered the formula, this was not a normal situation. The Bernoulli’s equation could have played a role here. But what was the Bernoulli's equation again? I think you all understand what I mean. Even if try really hard to remember the Bernoulli’s equation, it would be a waste, cuz by the time, I searched through the internet, the consultant would be gone, and I would be stuck at another problem... this time it was Motor Drives. I wont discuss that in detail, but that led me to another failure.

All working mechanical engineer's, fresher, professionals out there... please help me to understand , what is the job of a mechanical engineer, in a plastics manufacturing unit. As a manager.??

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    Re: To all Mechanical engineers

I am not in India however I have been working for some time managing engineers so I think I can address your concerns. Welcome to CE (be sure to post in the introduction forum) and welcome to ther work force. This will be a long talk so we should break it up into several posts. =)

These are all normal responses to someone with limited practical application, no worries. You'll forget all kinds of stuff from school. Some won't matter much, some will require refreshing your knowledge and continuing education. Right now, the most important thing is the "real world" application of all that you learned. Your role will vary from company to company and also industry to industry. Your supervisor/HR can help supply you with job descriptions. Ask lots and lots of questions from everybody there with experience, including the consultant. If you are unclear or disagree with something, say so. If you need time to research for a critical decision, say so. Keep in mind though not to get bogged down in too many details. Also, remember "you cannot win every fight" as the saying goes. Express your thoughts, colaborate with the team, make a collective decision and move forward. OK, more later! What are your thoughts?
  • ronvieky
    ronvieky
    Hi. Thanks for replying.

Something i missed out here- we never had an HR. For obvious reasons, there was a major strike at the company some 5 months back. About the same time when i joined in. I joined in a month late. And situation just got worse later on. The management declared a lockdown for 15 days. Even before i could realize what i was supposed to do, i was given instructions not to indulge with the labour or supervisors for the time being. Er- my dad's one of the management heads, who controlls the planning and operations. So i did get a lot of help from him in understanding about the manufacturing facility.

He expects me to get something new. Do something new. Innovate. During these times- i couldn't mix with the labour. I cannot work on the machine. There's plenty of workload, planning and production targets required to be met, and it will not let me experiment with the machines at all.

Finally dad asked me to do some hands work at one of the assembly processes so i try and pick some pace- since he could see that i was not doing anything apart from researching on the internet. And i tried to do that as well. I did it for a couple of days- but then there was another labour outbreak, and i couldn't do that any further. A few days later, i tried setting my hands on injection molding machine- another labour outbreak. I got too frustrated. Even before i could even think of innovation- which i seriously doubt- i have to first set my grounds and prove my worth. But its just far too complicated than that.

I landed up looking for machine manufactures in india and abroad- for applications to our company. And started correspondance with them. Hoping to gain some more info from them. But it was mostly either a sales person at the other end, or a marketting personnel. All they could tell me would be- sir we have STATE OF THE ART SERVO DRIVE SYSTEM. Wow! Thats so informative. The rest of the servo drive manufactures must be losers. I'm Thrilled!

Gradually i lost interest in that part too. Not because i didn't understand. I want to be in the team to select a machine. But there's still so much to learn before even beginning to think what machine i need.

My dad was mostly busy during that timeframe. And he tried to indulge me in different operations too. But either i lost interest, or the situation demanded me to take a step back.

My communication was stand still. The only learning i did during that time was through the internet. Learnt new things, revised a few old chapters, and applied for a distance learning course in MBA.

This was 3 months back. What followed was more despair, careless time management, anxiety, stress, depression, failure, and a complete mute behaviour.

This is my First Post to any forum in the last 3 months. And you are probably the only person i'm discussing this in such detail. Not cuz i'm an introvert, but i know they wont understand.

Every man for himself. So if i cannot perform, its not anyone's fault. Its my own. Now i realize my fault- that i bunked my practicals and hence don't understand much- but i can't change whats happened. How to create what's going to happen. Right now i can only see i full blank page in my life ahead. I just can't picture what i'm supposed to do.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Ok, couple quick points on what you said for now, then I'll post more in-depth later.

First of all, it does not sound like it is much of a condusive working environment if there is no HR dept and frequent labor issues that cause the firm to "lock down". That does not sound like a place to be.

Secondly, you state that you are a mech. engineer however by your work description of being a manager in charge of planning and meeting quotas at a plant. That is the job description of a production manager, not an engineer. I can understand your frustration at wanting to do hands on work with the complex machinery, I enjoy that a lot myself, however that is yet another postion's responsibilty, the plant engineer/plant maintenace manger.

All three are great careers, It just sounds like first and foremost you need to have your job duties outlined by your superiors on what your role is. Then focus on that and do it well, do not get sidetracked into the duties of the other two postions. If you should decide that you would be happier doing one of the other two positions, you will need to begin to organize a plan to study, obtain certificates and then some real experience in that field (maybe at a smaller facility).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CISC and RISC .. Which one has different register size? and why Reduced Instruction Set Computer and Complex Instruction Set Computer which one has different register size ? and why
Hi guys, i'm new to both the forums and electronics. the only technical knowledge i have is from doing GCSE resistant materials product design, so i kind of know what...
I m a student of 3rd year ECE , and like all others , i do have the same query how to get a decent summer internship. Do i need...
which electronic device/gadget/appliance acts as a purely capacitive load?? normally most loads practically existing are close to pure inductances or pure resistances... can anyone please give some examples of purely...
Find the number consisting of 9 digits in which each of the digits from 1 to 9 appears only once. This number should satisfy the following requirements: a). The number...