About finger prints

A few days ago i was watching CRIME PATROL and came to know from it that finger prints cannot be lifted from clothes or any fabric material, but it can be lifted from the skin of human beings. why is this so ? any ideas ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A rougher surface like skin or other surface which can with stand the strain caused by a touch holds your finger print.

That is why clothes which easily gets disturbed on touching cannot be used for getting a complete finger print or even a partial one. The finger prints left in them can not be used for analysis as well cause of the maze created in the clothes.

That is why finger prints are generally searched on harder surface then softer things like cloth and napkin.

PS: On looking closer one can and will find skin epithelials in clothes But since the Human skin's outer most layer is mainly of dead cells they cannot be used further for analysis
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    A few days ago i was watching CRIME PATROL and came to know from it that finger prints cannot be lifted from clothes or any fabric material, but it can be lifted from the skin of human beings. why is this so ? any ideas ?
    There are some studies in forensic science on this.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

It appears that it may be possible to get usable prints from skin, though it may have to be done not too long after the marks were left.
    The problem with fabrics is that they are made of threads, which do not hold any pattern. It is not possible to get any prints from them.

Here is the story of the most famous forensic image from a fabric: The Shroud of Turin with what is purported to be the Holy Face of Jesus:

Shroud Of Turin

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

How many of you love reading Tintin ,by Herge ? which are your favorite titles in them ? well i don't mean the movie at all, but just the books...
Hi everyone, My name is ahmed hassan, undergraduate mechanical engineering student, taibah university, saudi arabia. I join you here to gain expertise and exchange it if possible, it seems exciting...
Can anyone have SOP's of working/ maintenance of STP (sewerage treatment plant)
We are all familiar with the barber pole optical illusion where one sees the stripes go eternally up or climb down and never rotate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barberpole_illusion There is a similar auditory...
Graffiti is the annual techno-managerial fest held at the Symbiosis Centre for Information Technology. The 2-day annual event to be held on 2nd & 3rd February, 2013 invites students from...