a train passes two cars moving in the direction at 45km/hr and 50km/hr in 36 sec and

a train passes two cars moving in the direction at 45km/hr and 50km/hr in 36 sec and 54 sec respectively. What is the length of the train?

Replies

• smart kid
    smart kid
    a train passes two cars moving in the direction at 45km/hr and 50km/hr in 36 sec and 54 sec respectively. What is the length of the train?
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Re: a train passes two cars moving in the direction at 45km/hr and 50km/hr in 36 sec

Here we have two unknown variables of train : 1. Speed of Train , 2. Length of Train.

Say we have Car A running at 45km/hr & Car B at 50km/hr.
    So basically train covers the following distance is both case,
    Car A case => Train covers total of 450 + xm distance in 36 sec,
    Car B casr => Train covers total of 750 + xm distance in 54 sec.
    where x is the length of train.

So taking the difference of these two equantions, we are able to derive that train covers 300m distance in 18 sec, so speed of train is 60km/hr.
    So now we can say that distance covered by train for the period of 36sec and 54 sec respectively is 600m and 900m.
    And from that solving any of one equation we will get the length of train, which is 150m according to me.
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Re: a train passes two cars moving in the direction at 45km/hr and 50km/hr in 36 sec

Let us assume::
    the length of train is x km.
    the velocity of the train is v km/h.

Case A:: Car A.
    Velocity is 45km/h.
    Time is 36 secs = 36/3600hr = 0.01 hr.
    Since train crosses the cars, v is greater than velocity of car.
    so the net velocity is (v-45)kmph.
    Distance=speed*time.
    Here the distance covered is nothing but length of train.
    Therefore
    x = (v-45)*0.01 ...............................(1)
    Similarly from car 2:
    x = (v-50)*0.015...............................(2)

Divide and solve for v,from the above equations,
    v=60 kmph.
    put in (1).
    x=(60-45)*0.01
    x=0.15 km
    Hence x = 150 m
    Therefore the length of train is 150 m.
  • Prachi Verma
    Prachi Verma

Plz solve this question

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello this is simplycoder, and welcome to the series of C programing tutorials. I request not to post questions or anything in this thread, as it will only disrupt the...
When science goes bad: how impossible is too impossible? | Opinion | The Engineer
If I was a college student, I wouldn't be asking for CS help here, but I'm not a college student, now am I? I need some help with programming theory....
Starting from 20th August, from evening 6 pm to midnight, there will be 10 quiz/logic questions everyday. They will be really easy, but the catch is to answer them quickly....
Name:Sagar Rathod Location: Nagpur Occupation: Student Branch: Information Technology Year: 3rd Work Experience: Working with VPN service and part of a team NUTS Hobbies & Interests: Hacking is in my...