A Pixar Toy Story 2 Tale Shows The Importance Of Data Backup [Video]

A cautionary tale from Pixar in the form of a video reveals how it had lost Toy Story 2 altogether. The video was available as an extra on the Blu-ray disc for quite some time, but resurfaced on the internet last week, with a horrible story that revolves around the dangers of digital movie-making, while also stressing over the importance of up-to-date backups.
[​IMG]
Thankfully, Galyn Susman, movie's Supervising Technical Director, did have backups of the files at home, and the movie could be completed. Dramatic as the story may seem, I'm pretty sure the drama would have sucked the life out of the creators when they discovered they had unknowingly deleted 90% of the files required in the project.

Watch for yourself  the video below, as the creators share their experience:

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

They told me I could be anything, so I became an inventor. Yes, you can now say that with pride. The Makey Makey Invention Kit designed by two MIT Media...
A team of computer science engineers from University of Nevada, Reno comprising of Kostas Bekris and Eelke Folmer combined human-computer interaction and motion-planning research to develop a cost effective indoor...
Use of biometric authentication technology is a common now-a-days. The engineers from Fujitsu Labs have brought innovation to this technology with the use of vein patterns in a user's palm...
Sarbajit Banerjee, PhD, an assistant professor, and Robert Dennis, a PhD student at University Of Buffalo have made a significant progress in making steel rust proof by using graphene based...
Using a touchscreen from the front as well as the rear - the concept in itself is quite intriguing. Well, NTT Docomo, the japanese carrier company has showcased a prototype...