A mouse for left-handers - Do you need it?

All the mouse (input device 😛 ) that come with desktops are by-default designed for the right-handed people. This is a question for all the left-handers on CE, do you think you need a special mouse? Will it make your usage more comfortable and help you in designing?

If you are using windows, there are settings that you can do to make it more user-friendly for left-handers. Have you tried them?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    AbraKaDabra
    If you are using windows, there are settings that you can do to make it more user-friendly for left-handers. Have you tried them?
    My brother in law had a mild stroke that has affected his dexterity (literally. Dexter in Latin means right). He has reconfigured his mouse for left handed use. He also arranged with his bank to accept vhis left hand signature for transactions.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    My brother in law had a mild stroke that has affected his dexterity (literally. Dexter in Latin means right). He has reconfigured his mouse for left handed use. He also arranged with his bank to accept vhis left hand signature for transactions.
    Good to know. Here are the simple steps that Windows users can use to make their mice left-hander friendly -

1. Enter “mouse” in your Start menu search, and select the first entry.

2. Check the “Switch primary and secondary buttons” box to make your mouse more left-hand friendly. Now your primary select button is your right button, and the secondary button (commonly referred to as right-click) is the left button.

3. But, it can still be awkward to select items on screen with your left hand using the default cursors. MSDN has a free set of cursors designed for left-handed users, that can fix this problem for you. These cursors are exactly like the default Aero cursors in Windows 7 and Vista, except they are reversed to make them better for left-handed use.

The cursors are available in 3 sizes: normal, large, and extra large. The normal ones are the same size as the default ones in Windows 7; feel free to choose the other sizes if you prefer them.

4. Click “I Agree” after selecting the cursors to accept the license agreement and download them.

5. Once you have all 6 cursors downloaded, select the Pointers tab in the Mouse Properties dialog. Click the cursor to change, and then click Browse to select the new cursor.

6. Browse to the folder you downloaded your new cursors to, select the correct cursor, and click Open.
    Do this for each of the 6 cursors to be changed. Strangely, the Busy cursor (the spinning blue orb) is a static cursor, so you may not wish to change it. All the other ones look and act like their standard counterparts.

7. Here’s the cursors to be changed, and their equivalents in the default cursors:
    Normal Select:
    aero_arrow_left.cur
    Help Select:
    aero_helpsel_left.cur
    Working in Background:
    aero_working_left.ani
    Busy:
    aero_busy_left.cur
    Handwriting:
    aero_pen_left.cur
    Link Select:
    aero_link_left.cur
    After changing all the cursors, click Save As… to save this mouse scheme so you can easily select it in the future.

8. Finally click Ok to close the Mouse Properties dialog and accept the changes.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is nice! will try this out today at home 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    How many left-hander CEans do we have here? #JustCurious
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Some off topic info:
    Too frequent ultrasound checking during pregnancy seems to lead to a higher rate of left handed children.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    bioramani
    Some off topic info:
    Too frequent ultrasound checking during pregnancy seems to lead to a higher rate of left handed children.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    According to that report, In an average population, around nine per cent of men are left-handed! 😲Bemused!

#-Link-Snipped-# is a left-hander too. What do you think Biggie? Do you need a new mouse? 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nope, I don't need a new mouse. I'm happy with the right handed ones and I feel they're just made for myself.
  • gohm
    gohm
    As a left-handed person I am fine using items designed for the right hand such as a mouse or guitar, etc.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I play guitar right-handed. It just seems perfect 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anyone please tell me the cutoff for iits nits and other good colleges
Hi to every one!!!😀 I am Anbarasu studying final year mechanical engineering.. I wanted to be a part of the crazy engineers..
i am an trainees in College of Science and Technology at Bhutan pursuing B.E. in Civil Engineering. by this site i have full hope to gain a support and knowledge...
One my friend's brother got 3183 rank in GATE. He is from EC branch. Which college he might get? Someone said that he can get admission in new IIT's or...
Hi CEans, I am thinking of buying a new laptop and doing some research on the products available. It would be great if you can share your experiences/views. My requirements...