a month for GRE?

Hi, I am a software professional with an experience of 7 years and I need to give the GRE because I am applying for a course at IIM.

I need to fill the application form of the course and submit the form by end of January. For that, I am keen to give the GRE asap. I think, at best, I am left with 40 days in which I can prepare for it.

I would seek your suggestions on 1) which book to use for this 2) info on how early people have got their online result scoresheet. I need to have my scoresheet when I submit the application forms at the IIMs.

I have bought Barrons but based on what I read here, It isn't that great a choice. Also, I noticed that the book has no vocab/wordlist section. Is there another book for that?

It would be great if you can advice me. I come with high hopes. I need to prepare for this, despite my hectic schedule here in Bangalore and need to have a decent score.

This looks a great community. Please help! Thank you much!

- aditya

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Hi aditya,

Regarding Books, these threads might be useful -

#-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

The wordlist has been removed from the new Barrons because synonyms, antonyms & analogies have been removed in the new GRE.

But if you still want to go through it, the best choice is go for an older edition of Barrons.

Regarding scoresheet, I will have to find that out.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    For the new pattern of GRE, word lists won't help much. You just need to be able to infer the meaning of words in based on context.

As for preparation, I think 40 days of good preparation is certainly adequate, even more so if you are strong in maths. The quants section of GRE will be a cakewalk if you are good in maths.

And about scores, if you take the exam after November 29, scores should be available in about 10 - 15 days.

#-Link-Snipped-#

A#-Link-Snipped-#ll the best!! 😀
  • adityeah
    adityeah
    Thank you AbraKaDabra! I am now going through the threads that you mentioned. I do realize that the new pattern does not have synonyms etc but I felt that even to go through the questions in the current pattern, one should know what the words actually mean, no? I checked at flipkart though and there is this separate book of Barrons for wordlist. Don't know how good it is though...
  • adityeah
    adityeah
    Silverscorpion, thank you for your reply. I am motivated after reading your message! I did some initial walkthrough in Barron's Quants section and I felt it was relatively easier than the verbal section. What beats me in the verbal section isn't the RC but it's the meaning of some words itself, which I do not know!
  • adityeah
    adityeah
    Also it would be great if someone can tell me on what resources to look at for vocab/words.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @aditya: Check the 18th edition of Barrons.

Here : Amazon.com

You can see that it has complete word list along with the high-frequency words & all (starting from page 157.)

You can use it to remember the meanings of the words that are less common in usage.
  • adityeah
    adityeah
    Hi AbraKaDabra, I am looking at buying this book: Amazon.com. This is Barron's essential GRE words. I really don't want to buy too many books especially considering the fact that I have just over a month left and I am to seriously start the preparation only now. What do you think of this? Also, is the new Barrons OK to go ahead? Please do let me know!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Aditya: It doesn't matter which book you refer since all you want is to go through the word list.

If you really don't want to buy too many books, ask a friend for an older version (like 18th edition) & copy down the difficult words.
    That's about it.

The new barrons is sufficient.

Plus, you can find plenty of material on CE-forum & other websites for solving.
    All the best.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A simple definition of Query Optimization can be efficient execution of the query such that it results in minimum cost. Can somebody explain this in detail with example? How can...
Let's use this thread to understand the concepts of atomicity and aggregation in DBMS. Try to explain in simple words with examples.
Let the creative juices flow.. Come up with a script of your own, direct your friends to act and produce a film with your mobile camera on site- the DSK...
CEans, We're in the final phases of CE Grand Quiz. The following one shouldn't bother your heads for long time. Go! Crack It & Win 20 CE Coins 😀 Image...
Ng Beng Kiat's Min7.1 Blazes Through 2011 All Japan Micromouse Competition - and following video shows how you will have hard time believing your own eyes. [video=youtube;CLwICJKV4dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CLwICJKV4dw[/video]