A Look At Upcoming KDE 5 Framework Based 'KDE Plasma Next'. Beautiful!

First Beta of KDE Framework 5 is released. The final release is planned for June. Plasma Next that is built on QT5 is the first transition of codebase to KDE Framework 5 which will be lot smoother than current plasma and much more neater & attractive.
Below is few screenshots & link to video, if you want to check it out.

activities
calendar
kickoff2
networkmanager
paneltoolbox
And Linux desktops are turning out to be more & more beautiful. 😍

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is it just me or it seems to be inspired from iOS design? 😨
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is it just me or it seems to be inspired from iOS design? 😨
    I would like to know, which part of KDE do you feel similar to that of iOS ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would like to know, which part of KDE do you feel similar to that of iOS ?
    The second image after the video in your post.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The second image after the video in your post.
    So by looking at Calendar widget with translucent blue theme, you think KDE Plasma Next is iOS inspired ?

Cool one , Sir 👍
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    KDE have new fonts now called "#-Link-Snipped-#". Looks nice.
    Just to remind you, KDE Plasma Next Final Release is on 15th of July. If you're too eager to try the beta1 of Plasma Next, here's the Neon ISO available : #-Link-Snipped-#

Damn, I can't wait for 3 more months ☕
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And it's out! I just tested it. Will give detailed review sooner.

snapshot2

snapshot1 snapshot3 snapshot4
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Plasma 5 is turning out to be awesome. Using it as daily driver. Many (read most) KDE apps are not ported to QT5, but still it looks quite better than Plasma 4.
    However, option of using EGL openGL interface is great plus of QT5 KDE framework.

Few screenies :
    snapshot1

snapshot2

snapshot6

snapshot4

snapshot3

snapshot5
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Update : Couple days ago 'Feature freeze' for Plasma 5.4 took place and plasma/5.4 branch has been made. Yesterday 'Beta' of Plasma 5.4 was rolled out. The Final release date of Plasma 5.4 is 25th August.

What's new in Plasma 5.4 ?

- New Audio volume Applet :
    plasma-screen-audiovolume-shadows

- New Dashboard Alternative Launcher
    plasma-screen-dashboard-2-shadow

- More Breeze icons
    plasma10430

- Graph in Network Applet
    plasma-screen-nm-graph-shadow

- Krunner history
    plasma-screen-krunner-shadow

Source : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And, I have updated my Arch to 5.3.95 (Plasma 5.4 Beta) and everything seems pretty stable.

aaa24

aaa22

aaa23

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

ATMs or Automated Teller Machines are very prone to attacks that attempt to break and steal money. A research team from ETH Zurich is set to fight such attacks by...
Recently, Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC was in news for using metallic bodies for its phones. However, new reports suggest that the company is planning to launch its recently released flagship...
Lenovo India has launched its latest Android 4.2 smartphone in India called the Lenovo S660 at a price of Rs. 13,999. Powered by a MTK 6582 1.3GHz Quad Core, the...
Hey guys, I have completed B.Tech in Instrumentation engineering in 2013.I am planning to do post graduation (M.Tech) but I am confused .Wheather i should apply for it now or...
Soon enough, all you need to charge your laptop could fit right in your pocket. 'Dart' is a tiny battery charger developed by FINsix, a company started by a a...