A list of simple devices/machines I can make during the school holidays?

Hello everybody.
I am a first year engineering student! And I'm looking for some simple machines/devices or anything hands-on that I can make at home during the holidays ๐Ÿ˜€

Why am I doing this? You may ask.
Well, because I am itching to apply the new things I've learnt in physics and my other science subjects, and I want to well, make things, I am curious about how things work and I would love to start building machines and contraptions and what not! Concepts are best learnt when applied ๐Ÿ˜›

When I talk about simple devices/machines, I don't mean your average levers, or pulleys, I mean something like a popsicle catapult (which is the only thing I can of right now - so you can see how little ideas I have right now). But not a robot either, because I don't think I'm up for that just quite yet.

Feel free to share your suggestions, the more original (yet practical), the better ๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks!

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# We love thy spirit. This thread is itself a mark of a true crazy engineer. Welcome to CE community. Be an active member and keep posting.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# here.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Hey Pandamon! ๐Ÿ˜€

During my First Year, I had devised a mechanical vehicle which had a fan on top, and as the vehicle moved- it rotated the fan along. I thought this would keep me cool during summer! ๐Ÿ˜› If interested, let me know, I'll share the trick with you! Have fun! ๐Ÿ‘
  • pandamon
    pandamon
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Hey Pandamon! ๐Ÿ˜€

During my First Year, I had devised a mechanical vehicle which had a fan on top, and as the vehicle moved- it rotated the fan along. I thought this would keep me cool during summer! ๐Ÿ˜› If interested, let me know, I'll share the trick with you! Have fun! ๐Ÿ‘
    Hey there Punch_a_Tantra! ๐Ÿ˜€

Wow, in your first year? You must have been a whiz kid ๐Ÿ˜›
    And that sounds like one hell of a funky contraption! I would love to give building it a go ๐Ÿ˜€
    Could you share the trick with me ๐Ÿ˜›?

Thanks alot Punch_a_Tantra! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • pandamon
    pandamon
    AbraKaDabra
    #-Link-Snipped-# We love thy spirit. This thread is itself a mark of a true crazy engineer. Welcome to CE community. Be an active member and keep posting.

Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# here.
    Thanks for the CrazyEngineers Welcome AbraKaDabra ๐Ÿ˜€
    I really do feel I will find my place here ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Ok, so here goes-

This is how your vehicle will look. You may design it to suit your aesthetics, I'm just giving the idea. ๐Ÿ˜€

20120603_102926

Now, on the rear wheel axle, place another wheel(make sure it has got a good number of teeth and is a bit rubbery, else use the normal tyre) at the middle as shown. Now over this wheel, mount another wheel HORIZONTALLY, so that there is a proper meshing of their teeth(note that this wheel's axle will be supported ONLY at the top).

20120603_102943

20120603_102954

20120603_103123
    Once this is done, you may drive this vehicle using pedals( like in a cycle), or if it's small scale, you can just push it around with your hand. As the vehicle moves forward, watch the fan move. Have fun while saving electricity! ๐Ÿ‘

P.S- 'Xcuse the bad drawing!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Good thinking #-Link-Snipped-# But I think there are lot of technological loopholes in your design. The biggest is that, you will have reduced speed and no "Fan effect" as you are imagining.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Issue
    Good thinking #-Link-Snipped-# But I think there are lot of technological loopholes in your design. The biggest is that, you will have reduced speed and no "Fan effect" as you are imagining.
    I've built this device, and the fan does rotate with the slightest of push. ๐Ÿ˜€ But yes, my model must've been the size of a shoe-box. Actual working model shall require a hell lot of effort.
  • pandamon
    pandamon
    Punch_a_Tantra
    Ok, so here goes-

This is how your vehicle will look. You may design it to suit your aesthetics, I'm just giving the idea. ๐Ÿ˜€

20120603_102926

Now, on the rear wheel axle, place another wheel(make sure it has got a good number of teeth and is a bit rubbery, else use the normal tyre) at the middle as shown. Now over this wheel, mount another wheel HORIZONTALLY, so that there is a proper meshing of their teeth(note that this wheel's axle will be supported ONLY at the top).

20120603_102943

20120603_102954

20120603_103123
    Once this is done, you may drive this vehicle using pedals( like in a cycle), or if it's small scale, you can just push it around with your hand. As the vehicle moves forward, watch the fan move. Have fun while saving electricity! ๐Ÿ‘

P.S- 'Xcuse the bad drawing!

Hey Punch_a_Tantra!
    Thanks for the pics and instructions ๐Ÿ˜› Your pics are simple and clear (I like them!) I will be sure to give building this vehicle a go during my school break ๐Ÿ˜€

Do you know by any chance know if there is a site I could visit for more ideas on simple machines that I could build?

Thanks a bunch Punch_a_Tantra ๐Ÿ˜€
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    maybe you can also couple an alternator to that fan , which can charge a battery, but for that you have will to redesign the fan blades so that it can provide enough torque to the alternator. but anyways everything is possible with a little effort.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    zaveri
    maybe you can also couple an alternator to that fan , which can charge a battery, but for that you have will to redesign the fan blades so that it can provide enough torque to the alternator. but anyways everything is possible with a little effort.
    ๐Ÿ˜€ well, the above device has no electrical/electronic circuit. That's the best part, the fan revolves as the gears move. It's too simple to construct, try it out!๐Ÿ˜‰

And pandamon, I'll have to look for such a site. I myself rely on the MAD kids' show on POGO. ๐Ÿ˜› If I do get to know of such a site, I'll let you know for sure! Cheers! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    hey dude what about the differential
  • pandamon
    pandamon
    zaveri
    I have a question, if you place the fan on top of the vehicle, wouldn't the vehicle essentially... fly up? Much like a helicopter?
  • pandamon
    pandamon
    Punch_a_Tantra
    ๐Ÿ˜€ well, the above device has no electrical/electronic circuit. That's the best part, the fan revolves as the gears move. It's too simple to construct, try it out!๐Ÿ˜‰

And pandamon, I'll have to look for such a site. I myself rely on the MAD kids' show on POGO. ๐Ÿ˜› If I do get to know of such a site, I'll let you know for sure! Cheers! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Okay ๐Ÿ˜€
    Thanks Punch.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    pandamon
    I have a question, if you place the fan on top of the vehicle, wouldn't the vehicle essentially... fly up? Much like a helicopter?
    no it wouldnt , because the fan will not produce the required upthrust, to lift up the vehicle.

if you are thinking , that this will end up in the making of a pedal-powered helicopter, then let me tell you that helicopters use an engine , which has a nozzle to provide the thrust, and this vehicle does not have any such thing.

however if this vehicle is driven at high speeds, then the front wheel might lift off occassionaly.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Punch_a_Tantra

I am not asking you to "use" electrical energy, but to create it. using the alternator you can power a headlight without the use of a battery. with this you can use the vehicle at night easily.
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    zaveri
    I am not asking you to "use" electrical energy, but to create it. using the alternator you can power a headlight without the use of a battery. with this you can use the vehicle at night easily.
    +1 for this. ๐Ÿ˜€ This could indeed be done! Self-efficient vehicles are quite sought after!
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Punch_a_Tantra
    +1 for this. ๐Ÿ˜€ This could indeed be done! Self-efficient vehicles are quite sought after!
    go ahead dude, lets see you build this vehicle.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Punch_a_Tantra
    I've built this device, and the fan does rotate with the slightest of push. ๐Ÿ˜€ But yes, my model must've been the size of a shoe-box. Actual working model shall require a hell lot of effort.

now that you have mentioned that it was a shoe-box sized model, let me tell you that i built such a device too when i was a kid using the "mechanix" construction kit.

except that i did not use gears or toothed wheels to couple the fan to the axles, (since there weren't any provided in the kit) , but i used pulleys and belt.

but the belt tension was so high that even the axle wouldn't rotate let alone the fan.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can I go for MS in Us without any research experience ? Done by B tech from NIT nagpur .. I can get good gre score .. I am worried...
??? Error using ==> evalfismex Illegal parameters in fisGaussianMF() --> sigma = 0 Error in ==> evalfis at 84 [output,IRR,ORR,ARR] = evalfismex(input, fis, numofpoints); Error in ==> myfuzz1 at 28...
Computer Science and Engineering Student 3rd Year Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology Sikkim Hello Everyone..!! I am really new to a community of this kind. Of course, I am into...
Name: SHYAM PATEL Location: gujarat Aim in life: want to do job in BMW's R&D department
Hi everyone, There's a foam tank used in a firefighting system and i want to protect the foam from the outside temperature. So what I want to do is insulate...