A Breakdown of IE6's Slow Walk Out

[​IMG]

Bangalore: With the usage of IE 6 finally dropping below 1 percent in the US according to statistics from Net Market Share Applications, everybody is happy, including Microsoft, as said by Roger Capriotti in the Windows Team Blog. Microsoft in fact launched a countdown site that had an info-graphic of IE6’s prominence around the world, to celebrate countries that joined the list of less than 1 percent IE6 usage. The “Champions’ Circle”, as Microsoft calls it, consists of Austria, Mexico, Ukraine, and another 9 countries.

The reason for celebration with cake and 'Good Bye IE6 ' banners is attributed to the fact that most developers and IT pros have had to limit their potential in order for their applications to be compatible to IE6. Moreover, IE6 does not conform to current web standards that make browsing a safer and enjoyable experience.

CNET’s Larry Dignan thinks that some of the factors that made IE6 stay long after it had served its purpose, were that of the slow growth of corporations and their tight budgets. “A few companies still don’t value modern Web standards and may never upgrade their PCs again till employees walk out.” said Dignan in an article on CNET. Moreover, he said people, especially those who build companies, often resist change.

India’s usage of the ten year old browser is still charted at an average of 5.4 percent, according to Microsoft’s info-graphic on the IE6 Countdown site. On the whole, around 7.7 percent of the world is still on IE6, pointed out statistics from Net Market Share.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Come on guys!!! Lets celebrate! 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The last I checked ~ 25k visitors to CE every month use IE 6 😕. But chrome is the top browser followed by FF.
    The_Big_K
    The last I checked ~ 25k visitors to CE every month use IE 6 😕. But chrome is the top browser followed by FF.
    The main reason is, chrome is lightweight for each tab and altogether, it gives a bang... If one tab is hung, data loss doesn't happen in other tabs in case of Chrome! 😀
    FF is a stable one! 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    The main reason is, chrome is lightweight for each tab and altogether, it gives a bang... If one tab is hung, data loss doesn't happen in other tabs in case of Chrome! 😀
    FF is a stable one! 😀
    That's true. I used to be a big fan of Firefox. But I noticed that it takes up lot of memory when you have 5-6 tabs open. At times, it'd even hang my machine. Chrome has remained a consistant performer.
    The_Big_K
    That's true. I used to be a big fan of Firefox. But I noticed that it takes up lot of memory when you have 5-6 tabs open. At times, it'd even hang my machine. Chrome has remained a consistant performer.
    Leave Chrome 16 with 4 - 5 tabs open for an hour or so... Then come and get a mega surprise! 😛
    All the tabs will be displayed like as if you are shaving... 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Leave Chrome 16 with 4 - 5 tabs open for an hour or so... Then come and get a mega surprise! 😛
    All the tabs will be displayed like as if you are shaving... 😛
    What's that?
    The_Big_K
    What's that?
    Yeah, when you have the Chrome window open for long time, it becomes less responsive and very slow. Another problem with Chrome I faced was with Windows 7 alone.

The performance in Windows 7 with Chrome 16, I had 7 tabs open, and Windows 7 has taken 10 minutes to respond for bringing up the task manager, when one particular Chrome tab used 12% of CPU. And that was of Facebook's Home Page and upon killing the tab, everything went to normal. The system is Intel i7 with 8GB RAM and 1GB nVidia 8400GS Graphics Card. I have not experienced this in my Windows XP SP3 with 2GB RAM and 128MB Graphic Card.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I think something's totally wrong with Myntra - once a leading online custom t-shirt vendor. Myntra.com gradually shifted to selling branded merchandise online but I'm shocked to see this new...
Anusodhana 2K12 is a Technical Symposium organized by Acharya Nagarjuna University College of Engineering and Technology, Guntur. This fest is open for the students of all branches in Engineering. The...
Introduction to Computer Graphics was neatly explained by Dr. Prem Kalra, Department of Computer Science & Engineering , IIT Delhi Feel free to ask your questions and please contribute your...
Raster Graphics in Introduction to Computer Graphics was neatly explained by Dr. Prem Kalra, Department of Computer Science & Engineering , IIT Delhi Feel free to ask your questions and...
Hello Friends, I am working for a company into the design and development of automobile systems like Window regulators, latches and seats. We often need to deal with production engineering...