(a+b)²=a²+2ab +b²... But Why??? Now Explained! Do Watch!

Have you ever wondered what is the logic behind equation: (a+b)²=a²+2ab +b² ? This video explains it in very easy to understand language.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    4_Tech
    Nice! 😀 Has he explained any other formulae in the similar way?
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    That is one nice way to remember.
    But the formula comes from the commutative ,distributive laws of addition and multiplication.
    Commutative Law - ab = ba and a + b = b + a
    Distributive Law - a(b + c) = ab + ac .

Thus ,(a + b)^2 = (a + b) (a + b) --- by the definition of power of 2
    = a(a + b) + b(a + b) --- by distributive law
    = aa + ab + ba + bb --- by distributive law
    = a^2 + ab + ba + b^2 ---by definition of power of 2
    = a^2 + ab + ab + b^2 ----by commutative law of multiplication
    = a^2 + 2ab + b^2

So there , I robbed all the fun out of it.

😛
    *This was a sarcastic post intended to provide humorous relief - I know everyone knows above derivation.*

Sometimes I wonder whether mathematics is anything more than a bunch of definitions and the law of identity (i.e A = A ). 😉
  • 4_Tech
    4_Tech
    9 times table on your fingers!

#-Link-Snipped-#

Mathamagic by bawa!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I tried the same for (a+b)[sup]3[/sup]

Here, of course, instead of a square, we have to use a cube. And sure enough, the total volume (instead of area) of the cube comes to be

(a+b)[sup]3[/sup] = a[sup]3[/sup] + b[sup]3[/sup] + 3a[sup]2[/sup]b + 3ab[sup]2[/sup]

You can also use it to get the formula of squares and cubes of differences, ie., (a-b)[sup]2[/sup] and (a-b)[sup]3[/sup]. Just that, in the square or the cube, instead of having the total length as (a+b), keep the total length as a, and have another segment b in it. Compute the required area or volume, and it comes to be correct.

Now, this will prove to be a little bit more difficult if we go to more number of variables, like (a+b+c)[sup]2[/sup] or (a+b+c)[sup]3[/sup], as we will have more rectangles or more cubes to compute the area or volume.

Also, when the power goes beyond 3, we will have to imagine a Tesseract or the appropriate hypercube, and it becomes impractical after that..
  • 4_Tech
    4_Tech
    I guess it prompts us to visualise our formule...if i may say so...instead of plain old cramming ...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We all wish we had such creative teachers in school.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please check if my solution is correct or not. Find the extreme values of the following implicit function: 2xy^3 + y - x^2 = 0 My attempt: 2xy³ + y...
A null-balance potentiometer indicates the temperature of a thermocouple by,,, A. measuring the current with a galvanometer. B. measuring the voltage across the thermocouple reference junction. C. making the slide-wire...
Electrostatic interference can be nullified by A. connecting the thermocouple ground to the positive side of the junction. B. twisting and grounding the thermocouple wires. C. shielding and grounding the...
I need to calculate the amount of thermal energy radiated by an oxidized cast iron surface at 100 Degree C . I need the answer to come out in watts....
According to pluggd.in flipkart.com is ready to acquire the direct ecommerce competitor letsbuy.com. This acquisition, is going to make the Indian e-shopping scene more interesting as the world online retailer...