8 vs 12 hour work shifts

I'm curious, what do you think are the positive and negative points of them? Which would you prefer in then end?

From what I gather, 8 hour shifts are not so tiring, but 12 hour shifts will get you more days off. Of course, its up to the discretion of the company.

It'll be interesting to read your opinions πŸ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    I'm curious, what do you think are the positive and negative points of them? Which would you prefer in then end?

From what I gather, 8 hour shifts are not so tiring, but 12 hour shifts will get you more days off. Of course, its up to the discretion of the company.

It'll be interesting to read your opinions πŸ˜€
    It entirely depends on what kind of work is being done in those shifts. Overall, 8 hour shift looks like a better option because its about lesser work per day.

I guess in construction business, most of the shifts are 12 hour shifts. Sometimes its not possible to achieve deadlines without putting in 12 hour shifts.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Yes BigK is right it is much dependent on the type of work the company is into..

There are businesses that need the former and there are some who can't survive without latter
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, I understand its job dependent. But which would you guys prefer if given a choice?

I'm sure there are CEans who have worked in either types, and sometimes wish they worked on the other one.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've worked in both shifts as a software engineer. I had a regular 8 hour shift which was enough for regular job.

However, for weeks we'd work for 12 hours just to get the job done.

Given a choice, I'd prefer 8 hour shift. πŸ˜‰
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Ya me too probably will prefer 8 hour shift
  • gohm
    gohm
    I prefer 4/10s
  • kumar_nitin
    kumar_nitin
    I will surely prefer the 12 hours per day job schedule.. as it'll give me more days off per month..
    Iam always so excited to spend time with those whom I love very much.. my family..
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    I will prefer for 12 hr.
  • sookie
    sookie
    ash
    Well, I could never see any positive points of both 8 hours and 12 hours work shifts. Positive points lie in flexible timings which allow me to work only for 2 hours if it is 2 hours work only in a day. There is no point in sitting uselessly for rest of the 6 or 10 hours if my work is done in 2 hours right? So flexible timing shifts is best. If I have lot of work, I wouldn't mind to sit for 12-15 hours shifts but I can't tolerate sitting uselessly without work for even a single hour.

Conclusion : At the end I wouldn't prefer any of the given choices but I would love to work if someone give chance to work in flexible timing shifts.

πŸ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Before Marriage I could have given choice to 12 Hr shift as office was the best mdeium of time pass. However, now my choice will be 8 Hr shift, as this way I will able to give more time to my family.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I would opt for a 12 hr shift as I can complete my work in less number of days and can concentrate on other tasks in the holidays I get.
  • djnachi
    djnachi
    8 or 12., number of working hours should not matter so far you show consistency. Flexibility is another aspect to be kept in mind. Moulding yourself according to the work load requires a lot of mental as well as physical stability.

The key is to love what you do & to do what you really love!

Enjoy your work.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I would opt for flexi timings and flexi days. As 8/12 hrs wont be making sense when I have to support 24/7 for 15 days in a month. So given an option i would rather take comp offs πŸ˜€
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I will go for 12 hours ..if it will be morning duty
    otherwise 8 hours for night duty
  • Guttu
    Guttu
    I prefer 8 hours. gives enough time for rest and to spend with friends and family. I would burnout with 12 hours shify
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Interesting views! Keep them coming!
  • sookie
    sookie
    djnachi
    Moulding yourself according to the work load requires a lot of mental as well as physical stability.
    :shock: May be matter for dudes like you.

djnachi
    The key is to love what you do & to do what you really love!
    Not applicable everywhere. If sometimes you need to do what you don't want to do then? By the way, dude your views were not at all reflected in your post. Share your views also. πŸ˜‰
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Office is not a place for time pass folks. Its a place for achieving a specific purpose, the organizational goal. If you share the purpose, then you wont notice the hours ... if you dont, then please move out in 8 hours or less ;-)

But try to see the purpose and work towards it. That way you will be recognized at work, and be rewarded more often.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good point. Though, organizational objectives needs to be balanced by productivity and efficiency of the workers. Does the number of hours in the shift affect how well one performs?

As some have already mentioned, assuming a fixed total number of hours per week.. a 12 hour shift compared to an 8 would allow for an extra day off. Might this effect the motivation of workers?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The DNS or the Domain Name System is like the switchboard operator that takes easy-to-remember Web address - such as Google.com and links them to their more complex IP addresses...
I want to create table sales_master and I have already table customer see below but why it give me error see: / Name Null? Type ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------------------------- CUST_ID NOT...
Automatic spelling correction Starting this week, when your query was misspelled, Google goes a step further than asking "Did you mean..." by automatically showing results for the corrected query, saving...
In a tugoff war to capture the internet Microsoft has announced some great enhancements to its search engine Bing being touted as Bing 2.0 The features are: * The beta...
Microsoft revealed some information about what’s coming in Internet Explorer 9 and Silverlight 4 Internet Explorer 9 IE team is about three weeks into the IE 9 project. Microsoft is...