7.0 quake hits Haiti; 'Serious loss of life' expected

A major earthquake struck southern Haiti on Tuesday (12th Jan 2010), knocking down buildings and power lines and inflicting what its ambassador to the United States called a catastrophe for the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation.

Several eyewitnesses reported heavy damage and bodies in the streets of the capital, Port-au-Prince, where concrete-block homes line steep hillsides. There was no estimate of the dead and wounded Tuesday evening, but the U.S. State Department has been told to expect "serious loss of life," department spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters in Washington.

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    This is major folks. Please, please do what you can to help with your time or donations and of course prayers/thoughts. Even if you only have 5 cents. Biggie, do we have any forum members from Haiti?
    Homepage | IFRC
    Home | Doctors Without Borders - USA
    The Humane Society of the United States| End suffering for all animals yes, animals need help too!
  • engineer1
    engineer1
    If any of you are interested in donating go to: #-Link-Snipped-# . I think this horible event will inspire more civil engineers to design buildings that can stand in an event like this and build them so third world countrys can afford them.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Its horrible, very sad.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can i know about ATM cards and ATM machine sensors please. I am B.Tech student in ECE field
It is the book written by Robert T. Kiyosaki. And for...:smile: *People who are ready to mave beyond job security and begin to find their own world of financial freedom....
Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can't buy more time.Scientists can't invent new minutes.And...
Wishing all Crazy Engineers a very happy Lohri to all of you ceans 😛 . Have a wonderful day.
Hello friends i just read these riddles and thought that i should share with you. 1. Two fathers and two sons went duck hunting. Each shot a duck but they...