6 stroke i.c.engine

6 strokes engine r used or not.why we learn only 2 n 4 stroke engine
😔

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    Many 6 stroke engine designs have been developed but they are all patented by individuals. No automobile company came up with an initiative to research on this type of engine.
    Although the much recent design developed in 2008 by the students of college of engineering, trivendrum - VELOZETA, looks promising.

VELOZETA is an internal combustion engine startup developing six stroke engines, a novel technology patended by the company.
    VELOZETA Awarded Phase-I grant of 1.2 million INR from Department of Scientific & Industrial Research under Technopreneur Promotion Programme (TePP). Jan 11, 2008
    Details of the VELOZETA Engine are currently confidential.
  • Naveen Rathee
    Naveen Rathee
    Six stroke engines are not in the market till now because of their slow pick up & danger due to bursting of engine in Fifth stroke during compression of combustion products.
    Also same engine material can not be used & special materials have to be developed which are resistive to corrosion when come in contact with water at high temperature..
  • mechky
    mechky
    Naveen Rathee
    Six stroke engines are not in the market till now because of their slow pick up & danger due to bursting of engine in Fifth stroke during compression of combustion products.
    Also same engine material can not be used & special materials have to be developed which are resistive to corrosion when come in contact with water at high temperature..
    I am unaware of any six stroke engine which has fifth stroke as the compression stroke of combustion products. Six stroke engines using water to obtain additional power stroke have 5th stroke as the expansion/power stroke. The compression of combustion products occurs in the 4th stroke, if incorporated.
    Also it is not the compression of combustion products which is dangerous, it is actually the sudden expansion of steam in the 5th stroke which poses some danger of explosion (similar to boiler explosion). However, this can be prevented by using a diesel engine and then if required it can be modified to run on gasoline. Using diesel engine will not only provide the necessary rigidity and strength but also has the fuel injector which is required for water injection in the six stroke engine.
    But I am not sure whether that the current engine materials are compatible with water or not. Actually water injection is very much experimentally researched and studied to prevent knocking in 4-stroke engines and to increase the power output of engine and I don't think they change the engine(material) for this purpose. So I think there should not be any problem with the current engine materials as far as corrosion from water is concerned. However, it may vary from engine to engine.
  • Naveen Rathee
    Naveen Rathee
    Sorry
    mechky
    I am unaware of any six stroke engine which has fifth stroke as the compression stroke of combustion products. Six stroke engines using water to obtain additional power stroke have 5th stroke as the expansion/power stroke. The compression of combustion products occurs in the 4th stroke, if incorporated.
    Also it is not the compression of combustion products which is dangerous, it is actually the sudden expansion of steam in the 5th stroke which poses some danger of explosion (similar to boiler explosion). However, this can be prevented by using a diesel engine and then if required it can be modified to run on gasoline. Using diesel engine will not only provide the necessary rigidity and strength but also has the fuel injector which is required for water injection in the six stroke engine.
    But I am not sure whether that the current engine materials are compatible with water or not. Actually water injection is very much experimentally researched and studied to prevent knocking in 4-stroke engines and to increase the power output of engine and I don't think they change the engine(material) for this purpose. So I think there should not be any problem with the current engine materials as far as corrosion from water is concerned. However, it may vary from engine to engine.

Sorry for the misprinting about stroke, but during compression in 4th stroke combustion product of the previous strokes are compressed as their temperature is very high & we apply mathematical equations pv & whatever we find out during compression stroke pressure at the end increases very much . i am not quiet sure about it but during calculations i have found out the pressure at end of compression stroke may go above 50bar. which engine can not withstand.
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Can any one explain the cycle and type of strokes that takes place in a 6 stroke engine..

In 4stroke
    1.Suction,
    2.Compression,
    3.Power,
    4.Exhaust
    like wise what the 6 stroke engine have..??😡
  • mechky
    mechky
    rkvasan68
    Can any one explain the cycle and type of strokes that takes place in a 6 stroke engine..

In 4stroke
    1.Suction,
    2.Compression,
    3.Power,
    4.Exhaust
    like wise what the 6 stroke engine have..??😡
    1.Suction
    2.Compression
    3.Power
    4.Exhaust
    5.Power/Expansion
    6.Exhaust
  • Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Thank you for your info regarding the type of strokes😉
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    The engine I read about had a fifth stroke in which it sucked in compressed air (without any fuel.. and the air had to be compressed to prevent blowdown) and the sixth stroke was your normal exhaust one. Not a bad thing to have, when the engine is idling at the red light.
  • mechky
    mechky
    Naveen Rathee
    Sorry

Sorry for the misprinting about stroke, but during compression in 4th stroke combustion product of the previous strokes are compressed as their temperature is very high & we apply mathematical equations pv & whatever we find out during compression stroke pressure at the end increases very much . i am not quiet sure about it but during calculations i have found out the pressure at end of compression stroke may go above 50bar. which engine can not withstand.
    Hi Naveen

Can you please provide the calculations you did for finding the pressure. Actually I am doing some similar kind of calculations and I need to cross-check.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai frnds,i mstuding 2nd yr mech department..pls snd the ideas of abt mini projects...wat r the mini projects in mechanical...how can i do that such kind of projects...
Hey guys. does anybody have any idea about implementation of steganography? Which programming language is the best for implementation. pls reply. Its a final year project.
Hello CEans😀, I am on my revision spree ,i.e.preparing for the interview process.Can anyone tell me what are the important subjects from which most of the questions are asked in...
I am final year electronics and telecommunication engineering student. want to do the project FIBRE OPTICS or WIRELESS COMMUNICATION.. PLZ HELP ME WITH SOME TOPICS MAINLY IN FIBRE OPTICS.!!!
Hello,sir I am a new member to ce forum,please suggest me a topic regarding electrical projects without using programmimg.