5G Awesomeness : Engineers Blast 1.59 Gbps Over Single 20 MHz Channel

While you're saving to buy your next 4G enabled smartphone, the engineers from Bristol and Lund in association with National Instruments have achieved a new 5G breakthrough. A massive antenna system deployed by the engineers demonstrated about 12x improvement in the spectrum efficiency relative to the existing 4G cellular technology. The typical MIMO aka multiple input and multiple output system used in typical 4G systems and Wi-Fi routers makes use of about four antennas. The team however created a massive MIMO system with 128 antennas deployed at the base station.

The hardware equipment required from the setup was offered under "#-Link-Snipped-#" initiative. The engineering team used a new prototyping platform developed by NI based on LabView. The new massive MIMO setup operates at 3.5 GHz offering simultaneous connection with about 12 individual antennas. Each of these antennas shared 20 MHz radio channel.

5G-University-Of-Bristol-159Gbps-20Mhz
Image Credit: Communication Systems and Networks Group​

The demonstration was set up at the Merchant Ventures Building in Bristol, and the system achieved world record breaking bandwidth efficiency of 79.4bit/s/Hz. Prof. Ove Edfors from the Lund University said that the new massive MIMO is very promising 5G technology and it's being pushed forward along with partners from Bristol and project MAMMOET.

As the 4th generation of wireless technology evades the world, the engineers all over the world are preparing for the next generation already. South Korea is planning to go 5G Network Rollout In South Korea In 2017 - Download 800 Mb In A Second. University of Surrey too achieved about "5G" Internet Speed Of 1Tbps Breaks Wireless Data Transmission Record record last year. The global 5G rollout is likely to begin in 2020. Do let us know your views on 5G and how it'll transform the way world communicates.

More information on the research is available on the source link below.

Source: March: Massive MIMO demonstration | News and features | University of Bristol

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Google has come up with a smart solution for all the photography blues of sorting after a fun filled vacation. Its services now include suggestion of a new album for...
Bluetooth headsets are available a dime a dozen. The problem with most of them is sound quality. If you have used Bluetooth headsets you know that the person in the...
The Bank of America - Merrill Lynch, in a note to its clients has said that the commercial launch of the much awaited Reliance Jio's 4G services may be pushed...
Hello Folks, I want to learn and implement REST api in my next project. Please share your ideas, articles or tutorials on REST api, how to use REST? pros and...
Hello There i can solve Rubik's cube in 2 minutes . i want to know that is it worthy to add this skill in my resume, if YES then under...