555 Astable Siren

hey, guys. i've just built a siren for a project i'm doing and i'm kinda stuck.basically what i've done is use 1 monostable 555 to control the output of the 2 astable 555's by using a switch button. to turn it on and off (with variable longevity of siren noise). where i'm stumped at is... if i'm going to control this thing using a PIC, i have to replace the switch button because we're going to send a signal to the siren in order to fire it. so...

1) How exactly do I do that? It's been a while since I last messed with micropressors!! I honestly have no idea for this one... I need something that'll act as a switch... I know that much...

2) If I want to amplify the output to say... 50-60dB, how would I do that? Anybody know of a amplifier chip + schematic that could help me achieve that?

Thanks in advance! I hope you guys have loads of ideas! 😁

Replies

• djkross
    djkross
    no replies?
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    From what I have understood of your short explanation -

1) You can use a transistor as a switch and use a controller port to drive the transistor.

2) Transistor amplifier again !!

I suggest that you share your schematics so that we all can get a better idea.

Karthik
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Hi...you can use a simple relay and connect them to your switch or replave it with a relay,as for amplifier you can definately go for op-amp,i can help u with the schematics,but were shud i e-mail u.....and giveme a weeks time for that!!!

djkross
    hey, guys. i've just built a siren for a project i'm doing and i'm kinda stuck.basically what i've done is use 1 monostable 555 to control the output of the 2 astable 555's by using a switch button. to turn it on and off (with variable longevity of siren noise). where i'm stumped at is... if i'm going to control this thing using a PIC, i have to replace the switch button because we're going to send a signal to the siren in order to fire it. so...

1) How exactly do I do that? It's been a while since I last messed with micropressors!! I honestly have no idea for this one... I need something that'll act as a switch... I know that much...

2) If I want to amplify the output to say... 50-60dB, how would I do that? Anybody know of a amplifier chip + schematic that could help me achieve that?

• djkross
    djkross
    is there a siren/speaker i can use with an amplifier already installed in it?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Dude,there are lot of ways u can control your 555,which is suitable for your application can be determinrd only after seeing ur ckt diagram,u may have to make changes in your code too

djkross

• djkross
    djkross
    [​IMG]

diode 5 is an LED.
    R8 is the speaker.
    R11 is wired to RB7 of the PIC.

we have the code working to trigger the siren. all i need now is a speaker with an amplifier built in it 😔
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    hey buddy,hope ur doing well,as for ur prob.Do one thing use ULN 2003 IC which is CMOS to TTL converter,use the output of ULN 2003 to triggre the base or Transistor,which can be used as a switch for your 555,do ask me if u have any issues...good bye

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, Thanks for taking the time to look. I have an idea for a product and like open software development I would like to form a group of individuals to...
The foremost priority for any Outsourcing company is to set an offshore center which has the best of technology and talented manpower to execute software development. In this context, India...
I figured the kids could use a computer in their room - looks like a good deal Quasimo Entertainment PC Seems worthwhile if they will actually ship a desktop -...
Anybody working on builidng your own jet engine ?
If you're looking for a list of project ideas in electronics and electrical engineering, here's a big list of ideas collected from various sources. I hope you will enjoy it...