3D Printing Technology Helps Devise Braille Maps For The Visually Impaired

An undergraduate student, with the help of his professor from Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey has designed a 3D printed Braille mapping system for visually impaired people. The complete design will help in aiding them to understand the surroundings of the Joseph Kohn Training Center in New Brunswick. Named as tactile map, this three braille based system will be embedded in each story of the local training center.

One of the biggest challenges faced by visually impaired travelers is to recognize the correct directions to the destination. Moreover, the orientation of objects in its surroundings might get in the way and indirectly interfere with his pathway. Jason Kim, a senior mechanical engineering student in the Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering in Rutgers' School of Engineering expressed that it was an uphill task to devise such a system which was nearly impossible for him to visualize but with consistent hard work, he along with his professor Howon Lee managed to create a novel braille mapping system.

portable_3dmap
A portable and durable 3-D-printed tactile map

Inspired by 3D printed educational toys devised by Korea Institute of Technology, Howon and team decided to take the help of three dimensional printing. Although it is similar to Inkjet printing, here instead of a one-time printing process on a 2D sheet, the filling material is poured upon layer by layer until the desired design is achieved. The local training center provides vocational training to the visually impaired people who lead their lives independently. Adult students get special training to continue higher studies or to find employment, which in turn improves their lives.

Kim explained that he had approached his professor Howon for a summer project which ultimately resulted in a 3D map that can significantly improve the lives of the visually impaired. Kim’s enthusiasm and Howon’s experience coupled with consistent support from the vocational training center jointly helped them to successfully finish this project last summer.

The computer tablet sized map is also cost effective. With the help of one single pamphlet, this newcomer will get a ready made picture of the building. In future, Kim would like to further develop similar products and launch it in the market.

Watch Braille Maps for visually impaired people:

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Bluetooth Message Service (BMS) is the technology of automatically collecting the data from energy meter devices via LM393 light sensor which is programmed to count...
Hello guys.. hope you're fine .. i need innovative ideas for artificial intelligence projects my final year has started i'm doing BS software engineering
a warm greetings to all CE ans .i want to present a paper on current trends in information technology.i have googled many topic but i want this paper to be...
According to Designer prospective, Engineer prospective, and Facility provider prospective. Anyone have idea about these please let me know.
I am wondering what's the easiest mode of making payments for Indian customers. When I look at various reports from eCommerce companies, it looks like people still prefer Cash on...