3D printed chemically active structures to help mitigate pollution

Researchers from the American University in Washington D.C. have effectively 3D printed a structure with an active chemistry that could help break down pollutant particles. The handheld sponge-like structure manufactured using a 3D thermoplastic printer, was designed by dispersing chemically active titanium dioxide (TiO2) nano particles through ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene) plastic filament.

3dprinted-chemically-active-structure-to-fight-pollution

The peculiarity of the chemical formula is its ability to break down pollutant particles when it interacts with natural light, which means it could potentially be used in controlling and mitigating pollution in the air, water, and in agriculture.

The project, led by chemistry professor Matthew Hartings, successfully demonstrated pollution mitigation, when the matrix placed in water was added with an organic molecule (pollutant) and the pollutant was destroyed. TiO2 nanoparticles hence were proved to remain active even when they were 3D printed with plastic filament into a structure.

American-University-Logo

Prof. Hartings while explaining the potentials of 3D printing chemically active structures, quoted that indeed there are a variety of nanoparticles one could add to a polymer to print. However the limitations galore too, as the study quips that the concentration of nanoparticles of the active ingredient needs to remain below 10% of the total mass structure of the object to be 3D printed. To be most chemically effective, however, the structure would need a higher concentration than 10%. The researchers are hopeful though to ultimately discover an optimal geometric structure to use in breaking down harmful environmental pollutants; which is the need of the hour.

The study was published in the journal #-Link-Snipped-#

Source: 3ders.org - Scientists 3D print chemically active structures that could help fight pollution | 3D Printer News & 3D Printing News

Replies

• Dhananjay Bhai
    Dhananjay Bhai
    Fantastic Discovery. I have been thinking about carbon absorbing bolls which could be spread and removed along with roadways .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Amigos😀😀 I have joined with crazyEngineers before sometime. But Actually i have take a look through the stuffs in this site just now only. Its Really cool and I...
The advanced communications satellite - GSAT-11 set to provide coverage over Indian mainland as well as Islands is all set to be launched by ISRO in December this year. The...
A hands-free selfie-stick concept sounds cool, and while I was about to label ROAM-e as your stick's potential alternative, the hefty price tag made me opine otherwise. Selfies have caught...
In an effort to regain it's dwindling popularity, Blackberry has decided to open up BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) and ditch a premium subscription plan. It is a move which helps the...
Hailing from a small town in a middle class household, Surya Sankar has been a day dreamer. With a dad who is a banker and mom, a housewife, Surya grew...