30 Billion W energy (90% wasted) Industry? Internet Data Centres!

It has been estimated that the servers for internet consume 30 Billion Watts of energy of which 90% is wasted.
“This is an industry dirty secret, and no one wants to be the first to say mea culpa,” said a senior industry executive who asked not to be identified to protect his company’s reputation. “If we were a manufacturing industry, we’d be out of business straightaway.”
Dirty Secrets of Internet Data Centers - Neatorama
Data Centers Waste Vast Amounts of Energy, Belying Industry Image - The New York Times
What are the opinions of CEans on this?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Is there a way of reutilising this power lost sir for i think the world will stop without Network but power lost has to be minimised in some way
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeffrey samuel
    Is there a way of reutilising this power lost sir for i think the world will stop without Network but power lost has to be minimised in some way
    Unfortunately this is lost as heat. Even more energy is spent on AC for cooling the data centres. I am afraid that so far there is no simple way to recover this heat.
    Here is some info on the energy needed for one Google search:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    We can chanellise this heat and use it for generating power or any other use,but that will be costly solution,unfortunately data is more important and companies find this loss to minimal compare to important data which these servers maintain.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    That applies for all major DCs across the world and that seems mostly the reason why reasearch work in 'green technologies' for SAN/datcentre networks are being suggested. Currently Green research on DCs include, good ventilation techniques, cooling techniques, efficient power utilisation techniques and virtualisation techniques .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    durga
    That applies for all major DCs across the world and that seems mostly the reason why reasearch work in 'green technologies' for SAN/datcentre networks are being suggested. Currently Green research on DCs include, good ventilation techniques, cooling techniques, efficient power utilisation techniques and virtualisation techniques .
    Seems that most power is wasted on servers that are idle or comatose in terms of tasks. The article states on average 6-12% utilization on DCs, most of the power is for running back up resources in case of traffic surge or failure, or maybe more redundant processes. Not a surprise considering service providers that need like 99.999% uptime 😛 So while we can make some progress in terms of green research, increasing the computational utilization would probably decrease the wastage more effectively.
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    Well anybody remembers a 3 year back invention called 'bloom box'...A compact fuel cell designed to generate pollution free energy at corporate campus.I remember the news said it is operation for few corporate parks.
    check out : en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_Energy_Server
    👍
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    DARPA to the rescue?
    An update:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Ig-Nobel prizes are awarded by the American humorous magazine the Annals of Improbable Research, are an annual parody of the Nobel Prizes intended to "first make people laugh, and then...
Interface Methods have inbuilt functionality of being abstract and public (ie we do not neccessarily have to declare them Abstract / Public) Similiarily Interface Variables are Public, Static and Final!!...
can any one suggest me the best book for metal cutting and machine tools...
Need of the hour for India is strong leadership,unfortunately present corps of Politicians (so called leaders) motives are self-interest rather than development which always REMAINS in back-seat.Each and every scheme...
plz tell me about SAP (Systems Applications and Products in Data Processing)...which one MODULE is better...