2D & 3D modelling query

Is someone out there thorough with 2d & 3d modeling software coz i have a query that needs to be solved in autoCAD and in either pro-e/catia??????

For AutoCAD can someone tell me how to make the text of an ordinate dimension in AutoCAD perfectly horizontal without exploding it?????

As for 3D can someone give instructions on how to rotate a 3D entity on both y axis and z axis simultaneously while it is fixed on the same spot. like animating it to move in relation to the above mentioned axes in pro-e/catia ????????

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    For 3D animation, I am not sure about CATIA, but you can do it in Solidworks. Use the motion study tab to switch to the animation workbench. you can use animation wizard to rotate your component about whatever axes you wish!!
  • husi8400
    husi8400
    thanks bro but i havent yet started using solidworks entirely but i will try to put your suggestion into action....when i do so
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I used to be obsessed with CATIA, till I came into contact with Solidworks!! If you can get your hands on Solidworks, then you can learn the basics using the tutorials provided in it (solid modeling, assembly, sheet metal, animation, etc). It is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What made you move from CATIA to Solidworks?

Man, I have no idea what CAD to use once I graduate. Maybe Alibre would be affordable to get ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    CATIA is a powerful software, but when it comes to ease of use, Solidworks leaves CATIA behind by a long shot. A lot of tools available in Solidworks (which make life much much easier for a designer) are absent in CATIA.

What took me 10 minutes to make in CATIA, takes me 5 minutes in Solidworks.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, I see. I've also used CATIA v5, it was pretty fun for me. Are you talking about v6?

You know, I wish the folks behind Blender would start thinking about CAD. It would be an awesome open source software for sure!
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I am talking about v5, haven't used v6 yet.

I agree, blender is a decent software, they would have to change a little bit of code to incorporate some CAD specific tools and you have a powerful CAD software!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You know, that would seriously make a great CE Project *grin*

And uh, sorry for going off topic! Husi, do update us on your progress.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    As far as the Autocad query is concerned, have you tried using leaders instead of dimensions?? You can measure the dimension of the part and then using leaders (which I am sure you can make horizontal) you can dimension your text..
  • blacrobous
    blacrobous
    Catia is a lot powerful when it comes for sheet metal design. part design , Assembly designs are better off in solid works but aerospace sheet metal design and fabrication of materials can be only done better in catia or pro-e

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm a B.Tech final yr student in civil engg. Can anyone suggest me some topics for my final yr project, preferably in structural or transportation engineering? Are there any websites...
Our CEan for Dileep's Crazyevent of the Month August is CRAZYBOY..... ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ ๐ŸŽ‰ CONGRATULATIONS CRAZYBOY..๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Hi sir, Im tejus doing my 2nd year BE in electronics. i want to do a mini project. i tried searching it on google, but all the results require the...
hi im doing my final yr. B.E.Im in need to know what are the current topics to do project in the field of renewable energy and power systems...please do help...
๐Ÿ˜ŽI am Dinesh from India; I just joined this site and found that you answer to questions of all engineers (novice to adroit) excellently and patiently. I wish to thank...