29,000 CEans - Discussions

Discuss the announcement - #-Link-Snipped-#

in this thread!

Replies

• raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Another milestone. Congratulations everyone.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Congratulations to all ๐Ÿ˜. New members if you are reading this Please try to be more and more active user here.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Everyone, take a look here - #-Link-Snipped-#

That's an old thread which was titled "100 Engineers - United" ๐Ÿ˜ , for a long time, I kept on changing the thread title to show the count of CEans.

I'm nostalgic!
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    Well, I would call it an accomplishment if most of the users actully posted once in a while. Kinda dead around here even with all the members. although I've noticed that things are picking up again. Let's keep the momentum gaining, the more good posts that are made the better this place becomes, spawning more posts.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lock-Os
    Well, I would call it an accomplishment if most of the users actully posted once in a while. Kinda dead around here even with all the members. although I've noticed that things are picking up again. Let's keep the momentum gaining, the more good posts that are made the better this place becomes, spawning more posts.
    I know. The trouble is that most of the traffic comes from India where people just come here looking for free stuff and project ideas. I hope we get traffic from countries where engineering education is not just a short-cut to securing jobs.

We need good discussions topics from our active members. I see most of the regular members post in existing threads than starting new topics. How do we make our regular members start new threads?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Let me add.

The more the numbers, the more are our chances of finding talented engineers. The numbers will help us attract partnerships and advertisers. With some revenue, we'll be able to set up our own labs to carry out innovative projects.

Any ideas on how can we make CE popular in countries other than India? [Especially: USA (#2 on CE already), Canada, Germany, France, Australia, Malaysia, Japan etc.]
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    The_Big_K
    I know. The trouble is that most of the traffic comes from India where people just come here looking for free stuff and project ideas. I hope we get traffic from countries where engineering education is not just a short-cut to securing jobs.

We need good discussions topics from our active members. I see most of the regular members post in existing threads than starting new topics. How do we make our regular members start new threads?

Let me add.

The more the numbers, the more are our chances of finding talented engineers. The numbers will help us attract partnerships and advertisers. With some revenue, we'll be able to set up our own labs to carry out innovative projects.

Any ideas on how can we make CE popular in countries other than India? [Especially: USA (#2 on CE already), Canada, Germany, France, Australia, Malaysia, Japan etc.]
    Well, Big K, as I've said before, I've noticed personally that many of my engineering classmates seem to be doing it either for the cash, because they are pressured by parents, or it could easily be that all the med-school drop outs transfer in. Maybe it's something else, but it seems the spirit of inventing is waning. I know and accept that one can pursue engineering for any reason they like, it just bothers me in the back of my mind that a good chunk of people seem to be so dispassionate about it.

Anyways, I don't really know of any good way to incite people to post more topics, but I think that we could easily expand our reach if we try to include machinists in our group. Their are plenty of machinists out their that love to build things, so that would be of great help in boosting activity as well as adding more experienced people to our team. Other than that, maybe if we can all get together and do some kind of open source prodject we could use the prodject to help people and gain attention.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lock Os,

Our moderator Ash and I had a brief chat on the same topic. Its difficult to motivate people to come forward and share their ideas. Running contests is one way; but I believe it keeps the spirit live only for the duration of the contest.

I've personally wrote emails to university professors to join and guide us, ask questions and challenge us. But the response isn't good.

However, I'm very optimistic about our growth. As I said before, for every 1000 members we add, we'll find 5 value adders. Its somewhat on the lines of Pareto's 80:20 law. CE's growing member base helps us connect with universities and establish partnerships. We'll continue to hunt for the gems ๐Ÿ˜€ Of course, each one of us can ask our friends, seniors, juniors to join and contribute. I personally want to see our engineers discussing problems and finding solutions.

There are ways to make CE popular around the world. I am trying for sponsors so that we can host meets in different countries. When CEans connect offline; the world will begin to change!

Be assured, we've exciting times ahead.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    29k! Nice, nice.. at least the trend for activity is somewhat positive. It's like the economy, always going through it's peak and troughs ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hopefully we'll have enough value adders soon to reach the "critical mass"!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Have you all noticed that we have been getting lot of quality posts lately. 2009 is a great start! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    Maybe we could make some open source engineering software. CAD and similar tools are expensive, so we would gather a lot of attention if we were to make our own open source CAD program.

I know of an open source 3-D modeling called blender. Since it's open source, we can try to modify the program to transform it into a basic CAD program. Nothing fancy of course, but the fact is that it will defiantly be popular. Heck, the college professors and their students you contacted would defiantly appreciate the free software. Maybe even professionals might start to use them to cut costs.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Blender is complicated (as far as I know). We have been thinking about making a smaller software that can be widely used.

Of course an open source CAD software would be great!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Man, some users of Blender have cried out for a CAD version for a loooong time.

But, an open source project needs really dedicated programmers and organization. I've seen a lot of projects our Sourceforge being neglected over time, which mirrors a bit of our own predicament with some CE projects ๐Ÿ˜‰

We can definitely fit it in the pipeline, though. Remember CE Linux? I think that has potential to be used by many engineers around the world if we could pull that off!
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    Maybe it's because we bite too much off at one time? If we focus on smaller projects and build up from there we might be able to come up with something.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lock-Os
    Maybe it's because we bite too much off at one time? If we focus on smaller projects and build up from there we might be able to come up with something.
    You are right. That is our plan. Successful completion of smaller projects will boost our confidence.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, thats what we are trying to aim for, starting with the Robotic Arm one.

.. though, I'll believe we can still use it for the CE Bot project *grin*

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i 'm new to this forum..., i need some crazy projects.., if any come to know ., plz help me
Lot of our new members have been asking for project ideas & seminar topics. May I request all our members who have worked on projects or delivered a seminar to...
hello frinds? if any one interested in VLSI & Embedded Domain and require final year projects then contact me. my E-mail id if any one interested then mail me...
hey guys/gals i'm a t.e. student of E&TC department.i want to organize techfest in my college.i want you all people to suggest events that can be used.for e.g we hav...
hi mates private Sub Command4_Click() Dim N As Integer N = Val(InputBox("enter the regno:")) rs.MoveFirst Do Until rs.EOF If N = rs!Regno Then Call disp Else MsgBox "no record found"...