11K Display For A Smartphone? Why Not, Says Samsung

Ever since Apple debuted the marketing ploy of Retina Display, which was meant to identify displays that had a pixel per inch figure of around 300, other manufactures have been busy cramming more pixels on smartphone than it is humanly distinguishable. Notable competitor and alleged plagiarist, Samsung has done more than enough to win the pixels war. On the recent flagship, the Samsung Galaxy S6, the Korean electronics giant managed to stick a 1440 x 2560 pixels Quad HD display which meant we got 577 pixels per square inch. Now though the company is ordering its display division to do something mind boggling. They want a smartphone display that has 2250 pixels per inch which means creating an 11K display within the constraints of a 5.75inch screen.

Samsung Galaxy S6

While people across the world are admiring commercial 4K TVs and experimental 8K ones, Samsung has set the year 2018 as the deadline to build an 11K display (11,264 Ñ… 6336 pixels). This is probably not going to be a one-off experimental project because Samsung is collaborating with as many as 13 domestic and foreign companies and the South Korean government is planning to invest 26.5 million US dollars on this project that has been titled EnDK. The government hopes that the company will be able to build the prototype just in time for a public unveiling by the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

So let’s address the elephant in the room, why does Samsung think it’s a good idea to make an 11K smartphone display considering the fact that the human eye cannot tell the difference between most high resolution displays? Well, the folks over at Samsung say that such a humungous about of pixels will be able to create a 3D-like effect for the viewer without the use of those contrast reducing glasses. While the folks at Samsung is making a 11K resolution (2250ppi) mobile display, and is dead-serious about it - PhoneArena are quite sceptical of the claim, the fellows of #-Link-Snipped-# think that this could be possible. They cite the fact that with the right kind of content on quad-HD resolution screens like the ones on Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S it is actually possible to feel a hint of 3D.

Since we are not getting this display technology on our hands by 2019 or even later, all we can do is wait and watch and discuss the feasibility of an 11K mobile display in the comment section below.

Source: Samsung Develops ‘11K’ Super-Resolution Display Along With 13 Companies…Putting 26.5 Mil USD For 5Years - ETNews

Replies

• KSHITIJ MAINDARKAR
    KSHITIJ MAINDARKAR
    We are waiting for this.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Whoa. Not sure how I missed this post. But whoa.
    This part, right here:
    Well, the folks over at Samsung say that such a humungous about of pixels will be able to create a 3D-like effect for the viewer without the use of those contrast reducing glasses.
    Hoping to witness this soon. 2018 isn't too far I guess.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i really want to work on a project that deals with electronics telecommunication and any programming language at the same time .... please help me on that project ......
every solution will be given to your query and try to forward you satisfy answer
With the last Nubia phone i.e. ZTE Nubia Z9 launched just two months ago, ZTE has announced the next Nubia phone already. The phone is called ZTE Nubia My Prague...
I have 3 years work experience as a java developer....but my framework is a outdated legacy framework...but i am interested in working on a cutting edge technology...so i am interested...