1,00,000 CEans Counter

Soon we would be 95,000 CEans community.
I think we should create a counter for the last 1000 CEans and display it above the forum. It would be fun to watch it decreasing...till it hits the 6 digit number.

Plus, the new CEans will be aware that we are very near to the 1 lac mark and might join us on the 1,00,000 CEans Day (or Night) Celebration. ๐Ÿ˜’

What say everyone? Need your ideas and feedback.

@CS/IT Engineers: Could anyone make such a script that can be embedded on the forum page?

Replies

• Neema Ambhurkar
    Neema Ambhurkar
    Yes, that would be great!
    Awaiting for the CEans Day (or Night) Celebration! ๐Ÿ˜
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Good Idea ABKD.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    By the time I am writing this post we are 94,996 member strong community. Just 4 more to go to reach 95K figure. That is really a nice idea. Let us make counter to measure up to 100001.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am looking for making it a cool looking counter. Something that will start with 99000 and end with 1,00,000. Each time a member registers, the digits will flip animatedly.
    Anybody with experience on how to do it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Alright. We will need to fetch the internal data about registrations to do this.
    Should we set up a different page altogether for this?
  • synergynext
    synergynext
    whats the current count btw
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    synergynext
    whats the current count btw

It's 96,339 at this instant.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I have seen counter in goyal site and indianguitarist site!

So it must not be very hard.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    hey AKD,
    check this out. These links should help
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Show all - Members lists

use javascript, jsp etc to fetch data from the table which stores registration count. counters may be placed in different parts of the site as required.

I am not too good at coding and I guess there are other CEans who can do much better. Try and get this done by others. I guess you too could try this one. The code snippets are already given in the links above, just need to customize them as required.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @opti: Thanks man! I will go through it as soon as my exam ends and ask Biggie for the right permissions.
    Till then, all interested CS/IT engineers can try it too.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @opti: Are you giving it a kick start? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    now 97,030 little away from our target!!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    How about assigning numbers to all CEans? Like I am 67,987th member and something like this? It may be possible that such data may not be available with CE. In case it is we can assign it to members. I can be displayed below the number of posts on left side. ๐Ÿ˜€

What say?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    What will be the use of giving numbers to CEans?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The same use as that of the counter. Won't it be good, if people say that I was the 100000th CEan? In this way, people will be regular on CE.

Of course we can implement this idea only if we have the required data/way to do available.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    OK we are very close to 99000. is the counter ready for last 1000 counts?
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    I think we can implement the counter easily with Ajax/JavaScript. On first thought, we can keep track of the number of users in a file or variable at the server, so as to avoid querying the database every time.

Normally, is there a way to see the member count in CE? I see that in above posts members are mentioning the exact count.
    Is there any page in CE where we can actually see this count?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Well people, I am not having a lot of programming knowledge. But do you know what I am thinking?

There is actually a counter counting the number of CEans which is currently showing the number as 98961. So I am thinking of applying the same algorithm for another counter but with just a little change. We will count reverse from 1000. What say?

To write a simple algo,
    j=1000- i where i= 10000- number of CEans displayed by existing counter.

We can arrange for graphics too cannot we? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    @Ishutopre ~
    If you want a count down from 1000, just 100000- number of CEans displayed by existing counter would be enough, right?
    But where is this existing counter showing number of CEans? Pardon my ignorance
    ๐Ÿ˜
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    No problem ET, you have actually seen it. ๐Ÿ˜€ Go to forum. Press (ctrl+f) and typr "welcome to our newest member". -> you can easily find it by ctrl+f. Just above that welcome line, you will see members-> It is currently 98, 984.

P.S: Hurry ET, you have only a little time to implement it! Come on buddy you can do that.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    We have still one chance to have 500 CEans back word counter,

If this idea is to take up, we need to do something faster, else this thread is of no use. Just a time waste as usual.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Just 920 more to go now! So guys speed up.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Oh there it was! Thanks @Ishu for pointing that out. I'll try to come up with some working example very soon.

On a rough estimation the 1,00,000 limit will be reached in the next 3 weeks.
    So I hope we can put up a good counter atleast 2 weeks before the moment of glory, in worst case.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How many are familiar with vBulletin code?
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Not me. But I do want something like a counter should be their. It would be great. If any help from my side, do tell me.
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Hey, I have made a test counter. It works on a dummy data and not on the actual CE member count.
    See it here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Open the Join page link in a new window. Click on Join button and see how the counter gets updated in real-time.

The idea is this:
    > Member count is stored in a text file
    > It is loaded every second by the counter
    > Every time a member joins, the count is incremented in the file (to be done by the php code at actual join page)

It is implemented this way, so that the whole counter thing doesn't touch the CE database. So it avoids a lot of COUNT(*) queries every second!

Questions:
    * My first doubt is whether there is some ready made count value stored in CE. Or is it just a COUNT(*) done every time the Forum link is clicked?
    * The style of the counter, and what is to be done on The Count need to be finalized
    * Any issues regarding the correctness of the counter need to be discussed
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    This is nice one... This can be implemented, which is far better than MySQL Queries... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    Some notes:
    There are a number of other methods all of which involve querying the database somehow. So after some thinking, this is one design I thought, would completely isolate the counter as a separate process.

The periodic querying for the text file is a necessity anyhow. Here some assumptions can be made:

* The text file should be altered by the same code which finally registers users to CE.
    We can assume that too many users are not signing up at once, within a few seconds, ie. Correct me if this assumption is wrong.

* For the same reason as above, the counter might seem more or less static most of the time. So the main purpose of the counter's existence in this universe pretty much sums up to: Notifying all the online CEans of the glorious moment just when it happens!

* The life of the counter would be 3 weeks or slightly more, from now. So even if we're implementing this concept, or not, we better finalize our decision soon ๐Ÿ˜€
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hey, what about the deadlock mechanism? I guess using MySQL will be better now! ๐Ÿ˜”
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    If CE server won't mind querying the database every second or so for every online user, MySQL way is surely the most straightforward; We can always assign a php file just for that, right?

In the previous method, there IS, the issue of exclusive access. But how probable is that situation in CE, practically? (multiple users signing up within a second)
    There is always some way to introduce exclusive access to the file, but we can also consider whether all the extra code is worth it.

Also, 680 more to go. It'll already be a hundred thousand users by the time we decide upon how to implement the counter ๐Ÿ˜›
    As the number of required members dwindle down, I think the exclusive access issue will get less significant (yet another strategy!) ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why don't we simply update the counter manually after every 100 until 100000 from 99500?
  • eternalthinker
    eternalthinker
    May be implement realtime counter for the last 10 or so?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    We have crossed the mark, I guess we will close this thread!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello, Can anyone please help me out in this problem related to communication.... how can i transmit a message signal (mostly sinusoidal..eg from signal generator) of freq ranging from 100hz...
Engineers at TU Delft in the Netherlands have unveiled a luxurious battery-powered vehicle at the World Exhibition of the International Association of Public Transport (UITP) in Dubai. Read more: Luxurious...
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Introduction To Internet in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions...
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of Review Of Network Technologies in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your...
Prof.I.Sengupta, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Kharagpur explained the concept of TCP/IP Protocols in Internet Technology. Please contribute your ideas and feel free to ask your questions here......