10,000 Toothpick Model of a Bridge! What Do You Think?

I hope that you enjoy my new video! Here is the description:
This is "10,000 Toothpick Model of a Bridge"

Specs

Weight: 1306.15 g
Height: 0.149 m
Length: 1.38 m
Span: 1.16 m
Width Of Foot: 0.195 m
Width Of Roadbed: 0.0615 m

I built it in the 8th grade. A project in math class was to build a 1,000 toothpick bridge over a one foot span. My group's bridge held 54 pounds before breaking. The current bridge was planned to span to span 5ft. It fell a little short, but the actual span can be found above in the specs. I had my little sister, who was 70 pounds at the time, stand on the bridge, and it held her weight. She was 70 pounds. I do not want to test it any further! I do not care if it could hold a car and then break, I do not want a broken bridge. It took me about 2 months to complete it (December 2014 - January 2015). The original arc shape was the hardest to get right. I thought about making a huge compass, but that was impractical. I decided to bend a ruler and trace to the formed arc. This turned out to be a very elegant solution. I made toothpick squares and laid them out on the arc on graph paper. From there I built it layer by layer. It slowly formed a solid triangle. I used wood glue instead of hot glue in this project. This was a very good choice.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The video is missing.
  • The Maker
    The Maker
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The video is missing.
    Thank you, I think I have got it now.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What are the materials need to be prepared for bel exam??
Hi, Not sure if question put up in correct forum. Anyways, can a research scholar become a reviewer of some journal or conference? Let's say the conference/journal is only half-descent...
I'm wondering if the 'App' mania is over and people have began realising that there's only 'ONE' real app they need; and it's installed already - it's called the 'browser'....
Bringing you the best of both worlds - a stunning display quality and a killer camera, the new Sony Xperia XZ Premium smartphone has been officially launched in India this...
The telecom regulatory authority of India has put Reliance Jio ahead of all other operators in terms of average download speeds offered on 4G technology. According to report published in...