100 floors and 2 eggs.

Again a famous question , similar to ones discussed by Google people and MS people when they are not working.

You stand before a 100-story building with two eggs. Using only these two eggs, you must figure out the highest floor from which you can drop an egg such that the egg won't break when it hits the ground (we'll call this the "highest safe floor"). Every floor is equally likely to be the highest safe floor, including the top floor, and it's also just as likely that the egg will break from every floor. You can assume that if you drop an egg and it doesn't break, its shell is just as strong as it was before you dropped it.

If you want to minimize the expected number of drops you have to perform, what strategy should you use for picking which floors to drop the eggs from?

Apparently , the algorithm of this problem is used in many programming problems.

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    #-Link-Snipped-# 😛
  • circularsquare
    circularsquare
    But it wasn't solved satisfactorily in that thread.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    circularsquare
    But it wasn't solved satisfactorily in that thread.
    Didn't check that. 😳
    Members can refer to it. 😛
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    #-Link-Snipped-# whats the solution
  • jporter892
    jporter892
    Nice puzzle! Found the solution here:

#-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

BSNL has already launched the 'Fiber To The Home' service which promises a direct fiber cable to the subscriber's home and speeds around 100 Mbps 😲. I'm wondering whether the...
I notice that there seems to be a new craze in project fund-raising through organizations like Kickstarter. Has anybody looked through the various projects posted on Kickstarter's website, and if...
Explanation: The Rosette Nebula is not the only cosmic cloud of gas and dust to evoke the imagery of flowers -- but it is the most famous. At the edge...
Researchers at National Chung Hsing University in Taichung, Taiwan, are experimenting with the use of your heartbeat as a biometric alternative to the password. The scientists say that a key...
hi ppl..can anybody help me for basic guidelines for designing an auditorium ..i already ve gone through NBC-2005..apart from that i need information..pls help me ..