What are some advantages and disadvantages of automation testing?
Automation testing is the use of special software or automation tools to control the execution of tests and the comparison of actual outcomes with predicted outcomes.
- It is reliable and repeatable-Tests perform precisely the same operations each time they are run.You can test how the software reacts under repeated execution of the same operations.By running a set of automated regression checks when the application is updated, we can identify any new bugs introduced as a result of the changes.
- Quick feedback-Provide a quick feedback on the health of the application as soon as the application is updated.
- Fast execution of checks-Automated tools run tests significantly faster than human users.
- The development team can also contribute-Automated checks are usually written in the same language as the application under test.
- Reusable-tests can be reused for different versions of same applications when the User Interface is different.
- Maintenance time and effort- In order to get the most benefit from the automated checks, they have to be kept up to date and relevant, which requires time and resource.
- Trained experts are needed to write test scripts.
- Test script debugging is of major concern. Even a small error in the script may create serious issues.
thx for the answer.
Software testing has become a part of software development.In the initial stages manual testing was used to test software.Due to several reasons this testing did not work out as this manual testing requires a lot of time to perform tests and manpower to execute the tests.so the test automation tools are invented to test software applications.so the automation tools are effective in addressing these issues.But the manual testing is not yet vanished it is still being done in several cases.
Pros(Advantages) of Automation testing:
1.Automation testing reduces the overall execution time.
2.It reduces the cost and resource requirement of the project,the script created once can be made to run any number of times,as long as there is no change in the application.
3.Helps in working with large set of input which is not feasible with manual testing.
4.chances for human errors are minimal.
5.It gives us better quality software as we can run more test in less time with fewer resources.
Cons(Disadvantages) of Automation testing:
1.In some cases, the test automation will be more expensive rather than manual testing due to higher license fee for the tools.
2.Proficiency is required to write the automation scripts.
3.success of automation testing heavily depends on the test cases chosen for automation.Incorrect chosen tests leads to wastage of resource and time invested in automation.
4.Test data files are difficult to maintain.