Explain bug life cycle or the different stages of a bug?
Bug life cycle begins when a programmer,software developer pr architect makes unintentional software defect i.e bug and ends when the bug is fixed and no longer in existence.
There are different stages of bug that can be summarized as:
- New: When a bug is found and not yet approved then it comes under the category of "New".
- Open:After a bug is detected by tester it is passed to lead tester.He approves that bug is genunie or not and changes its status to "Open".
- Assign:Once a bug is in Open category then it is allotted to corresponding developer.This is the time when status of bug is changed to "Assign".
- Test:When developer fixes the bug and allotted the software to tester for further approval and verification.Tester changes the status of the bug to "Test".
- Deferred:This is state when bug is expected to resolve in next release but not fixed yet.The reasons may be low priority or lack of time ti release.This status is known as "Deferred".
- Rejected:If developer itself found that bug is not genuine then he assigns bug to the category of "Rejected".
- Duplicate:If it is found that bus is repeated with name or concept then one of them is assigned to the status of "Duplicate".
- Verified:Once the bug is fixed then it comes under "Test" status and allotted to software tester.If software tester approves that it is fixed now then it comes under status of "Verified".
- Re-opened:If the bug still exists after developer submitted it to fixed then software tester assigns this type of bug to the category "Re-opened". Now,bug will pass again through the entire life cycle.
- Closed:When the bug is fixed,it is transferred to software tester for approval.If software tester finds that bug no longer exists then tester submits it to "closed".
Bug Life Cycle is the specific set of states that a Bug goes through from discovery to defect fixation. The number of states that a defect goes through varies from project to project.