Need capability to use subscripts and superscripts

Admin:

I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.

I strongly suggest that you consider making that capability available to users of this forum.

Perhaps, the easiest thing to do is to turn on HTML as well as vB code ... because HTML has that capability.

Regards,

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Thats a good idea, hope Biggie makes the change. I still have to learn how to use these features for their full capabilities.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm aware of the problem that Mr. Beychok mentioned. For an engineering forum, ability to have subscripts & superscripts. However there is a big problem with HTML or VBScript enabling - It makes the site vulnerable to attacks.

I've not yet toyed with the BB code. Will try it out and update soon.

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Oh yea.. thats a good idea. Things like integral and differential signs, Fourier transform stuff, etc. One alternative is to use that Microsoft Equation object in Word and insert as a picture. But that involves so many steps.
  • mbeychok
    mbeychok
    Admin:

You might want to look at these forums:

(1) Eng-Tips Forums at Chemical process engineering Forum - Eng-Tips, scroll to bottom of page and click on "Process TGML" and see their extensive list of tags.

(2) Chemical-Engineering-Forum at #-Link-Snipped-#and see their [sup] and [sub] tags.

(3) CR4 Forum at [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]#-Link-Snipped-#[/FONT] and see their
    X2 and Xร‚ยฒ tags.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...anyone here doubts why the Administrator calls himself 'Good Administrator' ๐Ÿ˜‰

A warm Welcome to everyone[sup]2[/sup] ! ๐Ÿ˜

How are you?

I just drank a glass full of H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] & then ran at a speed of 1.5x10[sup]2[/sup] m/sec!

Have fun!

-The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Forgot to explain how to add superscripts & subscripts to your text.

For subscripts, use the "sub" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.
    For superscripts, user the "sup" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yay![sup]2[sup]2[sup]2[/sup][/sup][/sup] Can we add some maths symbols too?
  • mbeychok
    mbeychok
    Admin:

Thanks very much for your very prompt provision for using subscripts and superscripts!!

May I suggest, that for the great many users of this forum who may never read this thread, you include an explanation of how to use subscripts and superscripts in the message editing/posting box?

Regards, Milt Beychok
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Right now, we cannot use mathematical symbols in posts. But we'll see if we can develop such utility.

For subscripts, use following tags around the text-
    "sub" text "/sub" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )
    For superscripts, use following tags around the text-
    "sup" text "/sup" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

So, to write H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] , I will type -

H "sub"2"/sub" SO "sub"4"/sub" ( Of course, replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

#-Link-Snipped-#

It'll be awesome if we could use it! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Awesome response time Biggie ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

#-Link-Snipped-#

It'll be awesome if we could use it! ๐Ÿ˜€
    You guys are just great ๐Ÿ˜ . Give me some time to understand the LaTex system. I'm bit too busy traveling around.

kidakaka
    Awesome response time Biggie ๐Ÿ˜€
    <- that's what I am! ๐Ÿ˜ Thanks a ton!

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Cool, thanks Big K! If you need some extra help finding out how to implement, i'll do some extra research if you want ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Going on a roll with looking through vb addons, I found this one that can add LaTex symbols.. but as images, however.

[latex][/latex] bbcode - vBulletin.org Forum

Its for vb version 3.5.. I wonder if it is still compatible, biggie?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yep, I guess there is compatibility issue.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Once upon a time at a grocery store.[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Shop Keeper: blah[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub] blah[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Customer: NOOoo[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]O[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nice creativity, xHx. The problem is that members don't use the subscript & superscript facility.

Therefore, any add-on, won't be added unless the 'need' is felt. Otherwise, its difficult to battle with the compatibility issue that's common with all the plugins.
  • ForexGuides
    ForexGuides
    I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a retired Chemical Engineer living in Newport Beach, California, USA. I enjoy participating in many online engineering forums ... and I spend a great deal of time writing...
this is vamsy
Hello all engineers and potential engineers out there. This thread is to give the new members a clear direction on how to post their questions to the forums and get...
hi in my pc the RAM is 512mb but the processing is very slow my operating system is windows xp .and i used avast antivirus plz help.๐Ÿ˜Ž
Hello everybody! I'm a newcomer, of course. I'm an automotive enginneer. I've just graduated from university. I live in Viet Nam. I'm glad to be a CE's member. And I...