Final year computer science engineering project idea: Musical Notes Plotter

Here's a project idea our final year CS/IT engineers can work on. I'm not sure if such a software exists. If it does, there is no harm in creating a better one [โ€‹IMG] : -

How about creating a software that would receive the notes from line-in & plot the notes on staff sheet or tab the notes (or do both ๐Ÿ˜‰ ). That is, I'd plug in my guitar to my computer and play the notes. The software would go on creating the tabs in real time ๐Ÿ˜€

Extend it to cover as many instruments as you can!

Not very difficult to do; but an interesting project for sure! I hope I've explained the basic idea of the project. If you need help in understanding the concept, post your response here. I'll be happy to help you with some creative thinking ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Replies

• krp31
    krp31
    well it is indeed a nice concept but i know nothing about - "line-in & plot the notes on staff sheet or tab the notes".
    the reson for me to tel u this is i'm in search of a project for my engineering in CSc. final year. & i would prefer something web based. any thought??
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Cool. You'll need some research in sound acquisition, and determine the frequency of each notes. Once that is done, the rest should be straightforward ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Bull
    Bull
    Its Cool, dude!!!!!!!!
    Can u suggest me sm instru project for final yr????
  • wassup
    wassup
    Sound acquisition and processing needs some basic filter library (siglib DSP library should be good).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bull
    Its Cool, dude!!!!!!!!
    Can u suggest me sm instru project for final yr????
    Maybe the idea I've posted can be instrumentation project.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Super idea biggie how i missed this post.

Note down in my all time great project idea. Surely do some research on this.
  • bhuvaneswari
    bhuvaneswari
    ๐Ÿ˜€ Hi iam new to this forum.....
    Iam a final year CSE student and i was searching for a project idea...
    I saw this idea, its interesting........
    can anybody provide some more informations possible ;-)
  • Ashu2261
    Ashu2261
    Hi, this is Ashu....
    I m IT final yr student.
    I got these project ideas from net:
    Discussion Forum Website
    Peer to Peer File sharing
    Bulk SMS Application
    Skill Competence Mapping System

Can anybody give me any ideas about any of these???
    U can take these ideas for ur project too!!!
  • mayjune
    mayjune
    The idea is nice, but it exists
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Something different :- Though it exists for winamp but...check the link for details
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • mayjune
    mayjune
    The idea is nice, but it exists
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Something different :- Though it exists for winamp but...check the link for details
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • remshad medappil
    remshad medappil
    Why use pressure transducer to make corresponding electrical signal
  • Mithun.n
    Mithun.n
    Suggestion was good. I am interested doing my project work related to Digital Image Processing ... in that ...... Face Recognition. Can you help me?!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mithun.n
    Suggestion was good. I am interested doing my project work related to Digital Image Processing ... in that ...... Face Recognition. Can you help me?!
    What help do you need? Post your query in a separate discussion thread in this section ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Shriwanthi
    Shriwanthi
    Hi,

I just registered with crazy engineers.I'am a second year student doing my Software engineering degree. I have to do a project as my final year project in the next semester. I love Music and i want to do something related to music. Furthermore i want to make it something related to a search engine. Do you have any ideas? Please be kind enough to help me. I would be glad if you could advice me on this.

Thank you.

Shri.
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    Shriwanthi
    Hi,

I just registered with crazy engineers.I'am a second year student doing my Software engineering degree. I have to do a project as my final year project in the next semester. I love Music and i want to do something related to music. Furthermore i want to make it something related to a search engine. Do you have any ideas? Please be kind enough to help me. I would be glad if you could advice me on this.

Thank you.

Shri.
    Hi Welcome to CE family

On which Platform you want to do your project..
    Here are some idea
    1) music library
    2) A simple web crawler
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    @mahesh : What is a web crawler?
  • sookie
    sookie
    sarveshgupta
    @mahesh : What is a web crawler?
    Check these
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Web Crawler

A suggestion: Check the forum or google.com first before directly putting up the questions. It will enhance your interest and knowledge more in the topic.
  • jhon1986
    jhon1986
    Thanks

You can download any software from Situs Download Apk Joker Slot Poker Online Android
  • sumith123
    sumith123
    sookie
    Check these
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Web Crawler

A suggestion: Check the forum or google.com first before directly putting up the questions. It will enhance your interest and knowledge more in the topic.
    really helping guide
  • shubhamkala
    shubhamkala
    sir,
    i want the information regarding how to prceed with the project topic u suggested named as"musical notes plotter"..!!!
    can u suggest the steps to encorporate.?
    my mail id is :
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    shubhamkala
    sir,
    i want the information regarding how to prceed with the project topic u suggested named as"musical notes plotter"..!!!
    can u suggest the steps to encorporate.?
    my mail id is :
    Following are the suggested steps -

1. Understand the idea clearly and have a knowledge of how musical notes are written [SimpleTabs or Staff]
    2. Decide on the technology which you are comfortable with that will let you interact with the hardware for this project.
    3. Write algorithm, make block diagrams and try to visualize the software.
    4. Start coding, post the problems you face while working on the project here on CE.

Does this answer your question?
  • humai27r
    humai27r
    any ieee transaction base paper for this?
  • p1905
    p1905
    hey..i was thinking exactly the same..but for piano.
    can you please give me more details of how to initiate it..what layout is used?which programming language could be better?
    i am doing BE in IT.please do reply.
    thank you.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Super Idea Dear "K". How about My offering on this-->

" Musical Tone recognition and Conversion to notes: An application for Music Compression"

When you play the music, the system recognizes it , some signal processing extracts the Tabs and Notes and store them in printable text format. When you give this as input, system plays them back.

I implemented this project as my sixth semester mini project way back in the year 2000. Got 100 for that. Did many many project but, it is still hot in my memory. I used VC++ back then.. And did this with Sitar with one of my batchmate Agniswar Majumdar who was ( may still be) an Extraordinary Sitar player. Very Nice Idea Dear K.
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    can I re-post the same in my thread crazy creative Idea for final year projects?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Rupam: Sure, That will make it a nice collection. ๐Ÿ‘
  • Ahsan Salim
    Ahsan Salim
    i liked your idea of converting musical notes to tabs...so i decided to do that as my main project...

could u brief me what to do, where to start and what all things needed? i just need a base... can u pls help...

i did some thinking and got up with a method...But one prob...How can we determine which string is played when multiple strings are played? Here i am trying to create a tab...so i need the exact location where we should put our fingers in each string... is there any way to distinguish each notes when multiple strings are played?
    Pls clear my doubts....one solution is to put additional sensors in the guitar..but it is a crude method...is there any way to extract the information from the frequency distribution or something?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ahsan Salim
    Pls clear my doubts....one solution is to put additional sensors in the guitar..but it is a crude method...is there any way to extract the information from the frequency distribution or something?
    I merged your post with ongoing discussion on the topic.

I'd like you to come up with ways to go about it but I can answer the questions you've asked. When you're playing multiple strings at a time (chords, for example) then each chord would be distinctly recognized by the frequency. I know it's possible because Mac's inbuilt Garage Band and any Digital Effects processor is able to recognize chords accurately. You can then determine which shape has been used based on the tone. You could first define the standard "E" tuning and create presets for different chord patterns.

For the finger positions, I think frequency analysis should provide enough data to determine it.
  • Ahsan Salim
    Ahsan Salim
    how exactly is it possible to identify finger position from a chord? we get an overlapped sound when playing multiple strings and the resulting sound is the note of the chord...we cant know which all strings were used to produce the resulting sound(The classical KnapSack problem)...pls correct me if i am wrong...
  • Ahsan Salim
    Ahsan Salim
    please suggest an audio library that i can use....

ok i decided to use Bass as my audio library

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello friends am new to this forum... can anyone help me to prepare a seminar on advanced microprocessor... Thanks in advance...๐Ÿ˜€
Which is the ultimate place on this planet earth - Sea-shore,mountain top,dense forest or river side.........were any person on this earth will like to live and die,I think river side!!!
Is it possible to have an Automobile driven with the Steering in the centre instead of Left/Right. This would give the Driver a better view and control on both sides...
Here starting an interesting debate. The topic of this debate is - "Women reservation in politics" Speak for or against....explode ur ideas and views...
hello ,,, well i'm a 1st year student in electrical & electronic engineer its my 2nd quarter now , i had a class that i should do measurment on amplimo...