The great MBA / MS / M.Tech Dilemma

Online & offline, I've handled the most frequently asked question by engineering students -

" Post engineering, what should I go for: MBA, MS or M.Tech? "

I invite all CEans to throw in their opinion about it. The aim of this thread is to come up with guidelines that will help confused students decide the right path.

Awaiting your comments!

Replies

• GrimReaper
    GrimReaper
    I believe the choice is a personal one. every individual would know by the end of his graduation whether he can take any more technical knowledge. if he feels he can then M.s/M.tech it is. else if he has more of a managerial mindset and always loved having a crowd around him. MBA it is. personally i felt engineerin was not my cup of tea :sshhh:. so for mba it is. it certainly depends on the individual.
  • kittu
    kittu
    I think one should look for an experience of one or two years nd than go for MBAor MS
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Grim & Kittu: Both of you have good points.

I believe for most of the engineering students, post graduation is a short-cut to high-salary jobs. So, most of them are not sure if they want to go for MS/MBA or M.Tech. The choice is not liking-based, but 'job prospects' based. That's why the confusion between MS/MBA & M.Tech.

So if you are a student confused about going for MBA/MS or M.Tech, I suggest that you should get in touch with your seniors and ask for their experience. Ask them if it was worth all the investment (time+money). Then think how it applies to you.

But that's step#2. First decide what you want to do in your life. MBA/MS/M.Tech might be just the means to get there in shorter time. Comments are welcome!
  • zapp_u
    zapp_u
    hi all,
    I am also one of those caught in the dilemma. But i have decided to go ahead with M-Tech (whatever happens) through th BIG GATE (hopefully IIT) due to interest. But ya i am also worried about placements --"pay package?"
    One thing that bothers me is that there is "no exclusives" for MTechs. I mean wherever i saw M-tech , I saw b-techs were also called for the same job, then where is the "advantage" of doing spending so much time and money on m-tech.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zapp_u
    hi all,
    I am also one of those caught in the dilemma. But i have decided to go ahead with M-Tech (whatever happens) through th BIG GATE (hopefully IIT) due to interest. But ya i am also worried about placements --"pay package?"
    One thing that bothers me is that there is "no exclusives" for MTechs. I mean wherever i saw M-tech , I saw b-techs were also called for the same job, then where is the "advantage" of doing spending so much time and money on m-tech.
    Would you be offended if I say, please go for M.Tech for the love of 'technology'? Jobs, money will follow if you love what you do.

Let's get real. No one knows how the job market will be two years from now. One thing is sure - its all about survival of the fittest. The world needs technical people and if you are good at technology, you'll get a job.

It doesn't get simpler than this.
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    i would recommend cean zapp to go to the following link
    Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005

Look at Steve Jobs: "Stay hungry, Stay Foolish"

Steve Jobs Stanford Commencement Speech 2005 - YouTube

[youtube]D1R-jKKp3NA[/youtube]
    because biggie has mentioned about love for technology (rest will follow).this video may help you making a strong and determined mindset

"IF YOU HAVE GIVEN YOURSELF FOR THE ONE PAYING YOU BIG MONEY ,THEN YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST THE GAME"
  • zeba
    zeba
    Go for M. Tech. if you are really interested in research, wanna explore things, have patience needed for research work, if earning money doesn't matter that much.
    If u have the managerial capabilities and money is a high priority,then MBA is the thing.
  • krimkash
    krimkash
    @the_big_k..thanq you very much for starting this thread....i too had the same dilema bt now decided to go for Mtech.( i evn started a parallel thread)..and as far as i know this is true that if u r looking for a good pay packet then MBA shld b ur choice and if u want to do research or any tecnical job...Mtech/MS is best...

but there are some disadvantages with both d courses...like for MBA u will have steep rise and steep fall ...bt wen we come to MTech..the line takes much longer time to travel nothwards...

but as Mr.Zapp_u said,there are NO exclusive interviews for Mtech ppl...bt i guess anyone with a PG will hold more value than jst a graduation candidate...๐Ÿ˜
  • rebel
    rebel
    i think the course choosing is depends on person if he is intelligent he can do any choose any group .if the person has more money to spend on studies and want to earn more it is better to choose MBA IS TH BEST ONE ------------- ur well wisher
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    We are talking here about MBA and M.Tech. Some are interested in technology and some in administration and likewise choose their courses. Some even quit after B.Tech/B.E. Mostly people choose MBA thinking it will pay more and this is the typical mindset. Get your degree, get a good fat paying job. 15% of the people take science in school and later do B.Tech so that the admission to MBA is easier(B.Tech student is given a preference). It is like an investment to them. They don't care about technology or research. For those 15% I have another suggestion. Take a course in patent law. It is even more paying than an MBA and only a person with a science background can do it as you will have to deal with technical stuff.
  • zapp_u
    zapp_u
    You know , everyone has some wish or longing for something but sometimes lacks the confidence to go ahead and do it. At such times guys like you inspire a lot. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I have made my choice.

<-----This may Help You----->
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Click here(Power to INSPIRE) :>#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zapp_u
    You know , everyone has some wish or longing for something but sometimes lacks the confidence to go ahead and do it. At such times guys like you inspire a lot. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I have made my choice.

<-----This may Help You----->
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Click here(Power to INSPIRE) :>#-Link-Snipped-#
    Feels good to hear those words!

The bottom line is - Go with what you like. Don't just follow the crowd like an clueless soul. ๐Ÿ˜€

MBA/MS/M.Tech (in my humble opinion) are avenues to take you where you want to go - but you have to know where you're going! [โ€‹IMG]
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    Hi i am also in the same dilemma. I have been to the field and feel that there is no real engineering going on only some form of maintainance(especially in africa). I am very curious and want to know how things work and even develop new technologies, i am also very good in doing business and managing things that is i can handle both paths well. problem is that i find courses at my university wanting(technology wise, they are very behind) and would opt for Mtech if i were to find a scholarship abroad and MBA if i were to remain in my home country. I therefore need advice on how to obtain a scholarship, my grades are excellent and i am entering my fourth yr in sept. I also welcome advice on my choice of paths bearing in mind that i have both the interest and capability to take either path.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Any suggestions here, CEans? Our friend from Nairobi needs an advice!
  • the rising sun
    the rising sun
    hiiiiiiiiii frds.. iam doing btech. 3rd year... and iam worried.. of thinking... what course to take for my PG. is M/S best or , M-tech best????? and the important thing is .. iam very much liked to join a hardware electronics company.....as a technition.... so... is there any jobs in INDIA... or i should . try to board to abroad??????????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    the rising sun
    hiiiiiiiiii frds.. iam doing btech. 3rd year... and iam worried.. of thinking... what course to take for my PG. is M/S best or , M-tech best????? and the important thing is .. iam very much liked to join a hardware electronics company.....as a technition.... so... is there any jobs in INDIA... or i should . try to board to abroad??????????
    Rising Sun - did you read the posts above? Read them and tell us what you think.
  • amay_ms
    amay_ms
    Hello, I am a Computer Science engineer working as SE with MNC, I am also in a great confusion over M.S. or M.TEch, Can anyone help in choosing over M.S from USA or M.Tech from IIT? Which one have better opportunities?

Thanks.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    amay_ms
    Hello, I am a Computer Science engineer working as SE with MNC, I am also in a great confusion over M.S. or M.TEch, Can anyone help in choosing over M.S from USA or M.Tech from IIT? Which one have better opportunities?

Thanks.
    Each one has its own opportunities. Your answer depends on your expectations from your career. Share them with us and we'll help you make a right decision! [โ€‹IMG]
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    it depends on individual interest....i though of leaving my engg and go for study of languages.....i treid but failed in entrance exams
  • amay_ms
    amay_ms
    The_Big_K
    Each one has its own opportunities. Your answer depends on your expectations from your career. Share them with us and we'll help you make a right decision! [โ€‹IMG]
    Actually, I want to shape my career in research work in the field of Computer Science. But my friends says that master degree in computer science from india is for those who are poor in B.E. and to support their degree. Rather do M.S. from US. What do you think? Is it true?๐Ÿ˜•
  • sud007
    sud007
    zapp_u
    hi all,
    well so its been an year ...........now wot r u doing..???
    well i m the one now ..with the same dillema!!!
    so how is it going???
  • sud007
    sud007
    well so its been an year ...........now wot r u doing..???
    well i m the one now ..with the same dillema!!!
    so how is it going???๐Ÿ˜’
  • phoenix1618
    phoenix1618
    I'm glad some one has strtd this post. can anyone here help me. I'm currently doing my third year in Engineering Electronics & Telecomm. I'm into graphic designing a lot. I haven't done any professional course in it. But I'm pretty good at it. I'm really not that into the technical stuff that engineering offers. I'm confused about what to do after BE. whether i should do specialization in graphic design, MS or do an MBA. also i always wanted to do something in advertising & media. Also will doing an MBA allow me to pursue my career in graphic designing. Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
  • ritankar_sarkar
    ritankar_sarkar
    [FONT="]I am right now under the dilemma. I know this much for sure that at heart I will always remain an engineer. I am creative, innovative and a modifier.

I never have been an excellent student in terms of marks neither I am a big time memoriser. I never used to study hard either. All I used to do is understand the thing then give whatever I know in the exam. But in my early engineering days precisely in my 2nd year I had an accident and the very same semester I lost the year because of attendance shortage. This was the first time I failed. I went into a state of depression and anxiety as the psychologist once told me. And subsequently I lost another 3 years all due to attendance shortage. After all this, I left the college and went for work in a call centre. Over there I pulled back my lost confidence and attitude to become an engineer and went back last year to the college and cleared all the pending papers totalling 18 which I didnโ€™t appear in the semester earlier because of the fear โ€œI would failโ€. Though, now I have cleared all in 1 year, my cgpa in the end became 2.20/4.00. With a 4.0/4.0 in the last Sem that has project work, industrial training and seminar.
    Now I am 27 and will become 28 this year. My dream was once to do ms/mtech in aerodynamics and then PhD. but as you can clearly see I have aged a lot. I have to counter lost years even if I go for ms or mba or job right away. I can't sit idle and prepare for exams and think of future as whatever I have to think I have to do it within this month of March to select what I have to do. I have to earn money as well as soon as I can. Many people told me mba gives you money and many people also told me ms give you money too. Itโ€™s not that I can't study ms and do PhD, the question now always comes down to age, and the time that I lost. My dream job was to design aerodynamics of aircrafts especially supersonic ones with high pay scale which automatically excludes Indian NAL though I donโ€™t keep any obsession of getting a greencard. It is facts that if I go for ms/mtech/me I would most definitely try to go for PhD. The main question is that what happens after that. Will I be able to earn or save a lakh/month with ms / PhD in the end of the day after 6 years after completing studies or the same with a mba?which one?its dream vs reality now๐Ÿ˜”
    [/FONT]
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Philosophically (idle world) If I were you i would stick to my dream.
    Saying that, how bad do you need money? and if you end up doing anything without passion , i dont believe it will reap best results.
    Yes, understood you are little old, but there are people very old or people who realised what they need at a very laet stage, I have seen people moving from complelety different streams ( like frm IT to rocking climbing guide) et al, so dont loose heart .

Yes, a PHD necessarily doesnot impose you to be a professor, but many industries need PHD . Let me give you an example. IEEEE taks ages to standadised standards. but commerical groups like CISCO and others need to be improving thier techonlogy all the time so they invest in their own research. So you see, PHD does fetch money.
    Its a very layman perception that only MBA fetches. and MS, let me tell you, there are many out their with thier MS degrees in hand who are searchign for job.

again, this is all if I were you. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • freakygal
    freakygal
    Hi
    I also have the same confusion on my mind.
    Can anyone plz elaborate on the career profiles of all the three careers mentioned, ie, what are the skills reqd, what work I will be reqd to do, what should be my interests to continue that job(so that i can decide which suits me best).
    Thanx.
  • thanu_shree
    thanu_shree
    @#-Link-Snipped-#

Thank you very much for sharing this video.. Its Really Amazing... very encouraging... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    freakygal
    Hi
    I also have the same confusion on my mind.
    Can anyone plz elaborate on the career profiles of all the three careers mentioned, ie, what are the skills reqd, what work I will be reqd to do, what should be my interests to continue that job(so that i can decide which suits me best).
    Thanx.
    I strongly advise thinking about post graduation only after spending two years in corporate world, unless of course you are absolutely sure about what you want. The biggest advantage is that you get a clarity of thought on what you want - technical field or management field. MBA can give you a lift if you are interested in management and MS/M.Tech may give you a lift if you're interested in technical track.

Are you currently a student or working somewhere?
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Thanks you guys now i am more strongly concentrated about what i have to do.

So i decided to break the gate.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    anyone suggest like that first i complete m.tech. & then MBA
    or other like any course
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    anyone suggest like that first i complete m.tech. & then MBA
    or other like any course
    If you go through the entire discussion; you'll realize that one must first understand the purpose of opting for higher education. What do you want to do and what are your career expectations? Don't look at MBA or M.Tech as 'Just another course to get higher salary'. It just doesn't work that way.

Obviously, unless you just need more alphabets after your name, you need to go for M.Tech and then MBA or vice versa.

Above All - Don't ask others to take a decision for you. You will have to take efforts to understand what lies ahead after investing two years of your life and money in these post-graduate studies.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Above All - Don't ask others to take a decision for you. You will have to take efforts to understand what lies ahead after investing two years of your life and money in these post-graduate studies.
    That is the main problem
    Thanks for this helpful post
  • SAGAR SOLANKI
    SAGAR SOLANKI
    can anyone tell me what to do MBA or m.tech????
  • BCA_GIRL
    BCA_GIRL
    I think M.Tech is the best option.But finally it depends on the particular student.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    SAGAR SOLANKI
    can anyone tell me what to do MBA or m.tech????
    BCA_GIRL
    I think M.Tech is the best option.But finally it depends on the particular student.
    Have you read all the earlier posts?
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    This basically depends on individual choice, but in my view if you have wasted 4 years of your life in doing technical stuff and obviously you are interested in it then its the best to go in technical field. I think this is the best way you can use your knowledge which you have earned in 4 years of your graduation. I was also a victim om this dilemma but now i have decided to go for M.tech.....:smile:
  • SAGAR SOLANKI
    SAGAR SOLANKI
    thnx 4 ur suggestion...
    bt i heard that m.tech and b.e student almost get same placement...
    and tell me abt GATE preparation plz???
  • SAGAR SOLANKI
    SAGAR SOLANKI
    so u r doing m.tech
  • dolphin
    dolphin
    I am a 3rd year btech IT student and was very confused earlier, but after reading all the previous posts i juiced out the real(ie prepare for worst hope for best). but the problem is still there at one question, i want to study abroad in Mtech as i feel i should innovate something as i have creative ideas for technology as my each day mostly goes one realizing what could be the next in Information Technology and i don't find any scope here in India as after all i will have to work in a company based on the company profile(as a techno mazdoor)which is mostly infosys is doing.I either don't have money to study abroad and i can't pursue MBA, as of interest .Doing Mtech in India will make me same as of Btech ie.working same in Indian or MNC company as mazdoor unless my luck pulls me to US through MNC.
    Please clear up the fog and please tell how those students get money to study abroad which can't affoard(is there any scholarship given to a good score at GRE via top Universities of US).
  • nehapatil
    nehapatil
    I'm in my third year of mechanical engineering. I went through all the previous threads but to get all the more confused. MBA or MS i just cant decide. Somehow i feel my interest lies in the technical field but the other day i came across this branch of MBA called operations management which was closely related to mechanical engineering. so somebody pls help me in clearing my confusion...๐Ÿ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    nehapatil
    I'm in my third year of mechanical engineering. I went through all the previous threads but to get all the more confused. MBA or MS i just cant decide. Somehow i feel my interest lies in the technical field but the other day i came across this branch of MBA called operations management which was closely related to mechanical engineering. so somebody pls help me in clearing my confusion...๐Ÿ˜•
    You're in third year and yet to graduate. My advise is to work in the mechanical industry for about 2 years after you graduate and find out whether you want to go for MBA. It's always better to go for post-graduate studies once you've some experience in the corporate world.

If that's not possible, why not find out the course contents of Operations Management and decide whether it's interesting or not?
  • nehapatil
    nehapatil
    Thanks...will keep that in mind. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Hey Raj,
    What more do you know about patent law.I was thinking about it.Is it working with patent department and checking if the claims of researches are true or not?
  • TinaT
    TinaT
    The only problem I see with "work for 2 years then decide" - is once you start getting a steady paycheck, you won't want (and some won't be able) to go back to being a student full-time. That doesn't mean getting another degree is not possible, just harder to fit it in with everything else.

I went straight for my MSME after my BSME, and it has worked great for me.

I did consider going back for an MBA (evening and weekend classes) after 10 years of working, but couldn't afford it - and the company I was working for didn't offer any support. So, I didn't get it. I haven't missed it. I have friends that worked for 5-10 years, then got their MBA's, and they've been doing well with them. In both cases, the company they worked for helped support the classes, both with time-off and helping pay tuition.

But, I also have friends who went the no-degree route, worked hard, and are doing even better than some of my MBA friends... so hard work and the ability to get things done still is the key to a sucessful career doing what you love.

I see the MS or M-Tech as a good degree to start with, and the MBA as something you might want later as you enter more management or even C-level (CFO, CEO, CIO) roles.

But, it's a personal decision. Do what you love and you can't lose.

I hadn't heard of the MBA for Operations Management - that one does sound very interesting to me, too (as a fellow ME).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @TinaT: You've a point there!

That's the core of all the discussion, I suppose. However what I see is that most career decisions are made by what 'other people are doing' or 'what market wants'. It may lead to immediate success but failure in the long term (and it'll come in various forms) is guaranteed.

Few of my friends studied VERY HARD during their initial two years of employment (while managing work/studies balance and giving up on social life). I could see their commitment to studies and work as well and finally they got into their dream schools. Yes, they are doing fine in their lives and have achieved what they initially set out for. However, I'm sure that not everyone can study with that dedication while being employed.

I'd also advise CEans to look for sabbatical related policies company offers while taking up employment with them.
  • confused_Er
    confused_Er
    @The_Big_K:
    I am interested in doing MS but i also want to earn more money. So why should i limit myself to a choice like MBA or MS? Can i do both?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    confused_Er
    @The_Big_K:
    I am interested in doing MS but i also want to earn more money. So why should i limit myself to a choice like MBA or MS? Can i do both?
    'More Money' needs to be quantified. A degree alone won't fetch you more money. You should first figure out whether getting both degrees (which are totally different in terms of course content) will really help. More Degrees = More Money does not hold true anymore. If you're interested in MS - then go for it. Then get a job and figure out whether your expectations of 'more money' are realizing. By then, you'll have your own answer whether you need MBA or not.

I always oppose choosing education with 'money' in mind. The best way is always to opt for something that you like. Money follows those who love their work.
  • Suyash89
    Suyash89
    Hi guys, i am a new CEan. Just joined this community today after I looked up (what else) "ms or mba" and this thread came third in google search results
    After reading some insightful and thought provoking stuff from members here, I thought i would also take a drink from the fountain...so here I am.
    About me: Computer Engineer, 1.5 years "huge" Indian MNC, working as web developer
    Currently thinking: *sigh* MS or MBA
  • Vishwanath J
    Vishwanath J
    If you are not aware where to reach then you guys will be in dilemma, even after selecting u may be in dilemma! Situation Matters. The one question one may get in mind after doing M.Tech/MS is: Whats Use!!!!
    This happened because no exact guideline...But you all have here lot of resources to go on with.

I suggest one and all to get Placed in some companies, small or big doesnt matter, but the work you do must be liked from you. So thereafter you will surely come across where the next path you need to pick. MS/MBA/M.TECH.

Dont be in hurry and waste time and money...

Plan well, Discuss the benefits and loops in the course. Then Execute it...
  • N.Gowtham Raj
    N.Gowtham Raj
    raj87verma88
    We are talking here about MBA and M.Tech. Some are interested in technology and some in administration and likewise choose their courses. Some even quit after B.Tech/B.E. Mostly people choose MBA thinking it will pay more and this is the typical mindset. Get your degree, get a good fat paying job. 15% of the people take science in school and later do B.Tech so that the admission to MBA is easier(B.Tech student is given a preference). It is like an investment to them. They don't care about technology or research. For those 15% I have another suggestion. Take a course in patent law. It is even more paying than an MBA and only a person with a science background can do it as you will have to deal with technical stuff.
    Can you please post some more info on the PATENT LAW Course?
  • BharatiChaudhari
    BharatiChaudhari
    Hi.. i have completed BE IT and now working as software eng in good IT firm..i wanted to do PG..bt confused in MTECH/MBA..many of my friends are doing MBA..and i was thinking that i will do MTECH..bt they are suggesting me that now a days MTECH & BE are on same level and not point in doing MTECH as you will become either professor or will get job in Research and all...and by doing MBA only i can earn more..but i think that i will clear MBA bt its not my intrest but money is also important... and i love coding bt dont know about what level i am good in coding as i have not done any work in java c++ .net langs..i am working in AS400 cobol..so i am very much confused please suggest me..
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I see a lot of people equating higher (PG) studies to more salary. The PG degree won't offer anything except more knowledge; but salary is determined by the company you are working with, the level in the hierarchy and the skills you posses. It's wrong to say that MBA degree will earn you more than M.Tech or any PG degree would earn you more than just the engineering degree.

The first thing to work out is to find out where your interest lies. Is it in the technical field? Then narrow down on it. Find out the field of your interest and then make sure you excel in it. That's the best way of earning more money and being happy in professional life as well.

I can tell you a number of people who went for an extra degree and ended up wasting time and money. If you're interested in coding, I'd strongly recommend discovering the languages/tools/technologies that attract you the most and get certified in it. Once you master the skills and 'prove it' [Open Source world is a great place to prove your capabilities], start applying for a new job and you'll get the desired salary hike. That can be done in less than 2 years, which is the time required to complete a PG degree.

The biggest challenge is in determining the field of your interest.
  • BharatiChaudhari
    BharatiChaudhari
    thanks for your views..what do you want to say by ''narrow down it''...and can you please help me out of this confusion..i would also like to do certification but i will not get any additional degree..i will remain graduate only..and i think its not enough in this competitive world..
    I am expecting more from you..please help..
  • YashBhatt
    YashBhatt
    I have completed my BE in Computer Science from Mumbai University
    And i'm very much interested in going for M.Tech(Preparing for GATE)

I do understand that doing a M.S in a foreign university has its own perks but for me,it's financially not possible at this point(I don't wanna take any loans) ๐Ÿ˜›

Now,i wanna know what is the scope after completing M.Tech here in India apart from being employed
    Can we move into research in one particular field(I'm interested in AI or Nano Technology)

And,are there any major differences between M.E and M.Tech apart from just the names being different ??
  • Igneta D'Souza
    Igneta D'Souza
    I want to know what is the main difference in doing MS in USA and M.Tech in India. How differently does these courses influence our career in future?
    I am working as SE.๐Ÿ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    igneta
    I want to know what is the main difference in doing MS in USA and M.Tech in India. How differently does these courses influence our career in future?
    I am working as SE.๐Ÿ˜•
    Most of the people who opt for MS typically look for job in the country they got their MS degree from. The reasons could be different, but for most of the people; it's the education loan that forces them to choose a job that pays in dollars. It makes it easier to pay the EMIs back in India.

Be aware that the MS degree is not easy on pockets for most of the people. M.Tech degree on the other hand is typically preferred by those who want to get into advance technical degree for very specific application.

If you're looking to opt for either of the course; I'd strongly recommend that you should first concentrate on figuring out what goal you wish to achieve in your career and then decide which is a better option.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    TinaT
    The only problem I see with "work for 2 years then decide" - is once you start getting a steady paycheck, you won't want (and some won't be able) to go back to being a student full-time. That doesn't mean getting another degree is not possible, just harder to fit it in with everything else.

I went straight for my MSME after my BSME, and it has worked great for me.

I did consider going back for an MBA (evening and weekend classes) after 10 years of working, but couldn't afford it - and the company I was working for didn't offer any support. So, I didn't get it. I haven't missed it. I have friends that worked for 5-10 years, then got their MBA's, and they've been doing well with them. In both cases, the company they worked for helped support the classes, both with time-off and helping pay tuition.

But, I also have friends who went the no-degree route, worked hard, and are doing even better than some of my MBA friends... so hard work and the ability to get things done still is the key to a sucessful career doing what you love.

I see the MS or M-Tech as a good degree to start with, and the MBA as something you might want later as you enter more management or even C-level (CFO, CEO, CIO) roles.

I hadn't heard of the MBA for Operations Management - that one does sound very interesting to me, too (as a fellow ME).
    I completely agree with the points mentioned by TinaT. With my personal experience, I can say that after some yrs of industrial experience we hardly get the chance to get back for regular studies again (It may sound as excuse). hence doing the Masters immediately after Graduation is my cup of tea.
  • yogita_169
    yogita_169
    1. if you enjoyed your graduation (b.tech) n would like to continue the same then choose M.tech .
    2. If you are expressive and generally a confident guy then choose MBA.
    3. OTHERWISE give some more time to yourself n find out what interest you.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    Once you start working you realise degrees are just pieces of paper. What you learn, and consequently your success in life, depends on how you use your time and the resources available to you.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I was wondering if students still suffered from the dilemma and I guess the answer is still a resounding 'yes'. It really is interesting to see that final year engineering students are googling stuff like 'what to do after b.tech civil engineering' or 'career options after b.e. electrical' - the options always have and always will be the same -
    Learn or Earn or do both at once.
    Doing a MBA, or M.S. or M.Tech are just boats to take you to your destination. Fix where you want to get to in the next 5 years and the answer should bubble up to your head without having to google anything. Use Google and all other resources you have to really understand the steps required to 'excel' at whatever you choose. Never out-source your career decisions, because each person's circumstances, his situations and background, skills, IQ, dreams & aspirations differ. It is only you who can pull yourself out of the dilemma.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Engineering students and professionals who are wondering, I've added a few important points here: What should I do after Engineering?

Though the question is about what to do after engineering, it's got some important points that you might want to consider.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I overheard the discussion between two young engineers about Credit Cards & Debit Cards. Starting a thread where we can discuss credit cards vs debit cards. If you have any...
Let's say I've about 1,00,000 bucks spare in my bank and I want to invest them wisely. What investment strategy do you suggest and why?
CEans, Now you can blog directly from iPhone using SixAparts' BlogIt! Check the details here - TypePad - Features - Blogging on the iPhone
hi, guys i really need iDeas regarding my Project in mEcHaNiCaL Engg...
hi guys. I am working on a project which requires me to determine whether a given image is an original camera ouput or it is morphed in any which way....