Making sound energy useful : Putting motorcycle silencer to use!

hi guys....i'm back...
i'm doing final year mechanical......
i have planned to do a project on the following....
We all know tat sound energy is one form of energy....
why cann't we convert the sound energy in the automobile silencer into some useful forms of energy and use it automobiles?????
plz help me guys.....😁😁😁

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Re: making sound energy useful....

satheesh27887
    hi guys....i'm back...
    i'm doing final year mechanical......
    i have planned to do a project on the following....
    We all know tat sound energy is one form of energy....
    why cann't we convert the sound energy in the automobile silencer into some useful forms of energy and use it automobiles?????
    plz help me guys.....😁😁😁
    I support the idea! [​IMG]

Let's say you might want to convert it into electrical energy to power the digital speedometer?
  • satheesh27887
    satheesh27887
    I'm not focussed on electrical energy alone....

But some form of useful energy.... How can we convert....

Come Ceans... help me....
  • gauravtiwari89
    gauravtiwari89
    Converting Electrical energy to other forms is easier in comparison to sound energy,so i suggest your first step should be converting it into electrical energy, and then move forward..

On the inside of the silencer try applying some piezoelectric substance and use the electricity,,convert it or as biggie said use it to run the digital speedometer..
  • satheesh27887
    satheesh27887
    K.... thanks for ur comments GAURAVTIWARI and BIGGIE....

tell me some more ideas.....
  • csr_babu
    csr_babu
    am doing final year b tech pls help to do project on the same
  • satheesh27887
    satheesh27887
    HI GUYS......
    Suggest me some ideas about how to trap the sound energy and convert it into useful energy.....
    COME ON s.......
    WHERE DO THE TALENTED CEans HAD GONE.......

THIS IS A CHALLENGE TO ALL.....
    😁😁😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thats a pretty nifty idea.. but if you are talking about the sound we hear itself, it isn't really a "powerful" source of energy. The reason why it seems that way is because our eardrums are very receptive to 4KHz pressure waves (aka sound), so it'll amplify these small variations into something we can recognize. The same concept applies to microphones.. the electrical signal has to be "amplified" from the carbon drum to be useful.

However, since the cause of these sounds are usually vibrations of materials, we should focus on that instead πŸ˜€

Guarav's piezoelectric idea is very useful, but they produce really small voltages. You'll need to place lots of them if you want some decent electrical output. Perhaps the WHOLE silencer would be made up of piezoelectric devices?

If you can model the way a material vibrates, you can attach a very small dynamo which will produce alternative current. Could work?

Come to think of it, if you can harness the huge seismic waves in earthquake prone areas, you'll bound to get gigawatts of power πŸ˜›
  • gohm
    gohm
    Great job Ash, you left me nothing to post.. πŸ˜€ laugh. Ash is right, the amount possible to generate would be very small so a LED accessory would be about it. Another mention would be a turbofan, however you are limited on that route as you can easily excede the exhaust flow retarding the combusiot cycle with will reduce generation further. Also magnets mounted on both the frame and wheels could also generate a very tiny amount. I like that because it would be speed based. If it wouldn't weight down the track bike I'd love to try it.. laugh.
  • satheesh27887
    satheesh27887
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.....
    IN FACT TO CREATE VIBRATIONS WE SHOULD CREATE OBSTRUCTIONS....
    OBVIOUSLY THIS WOULD CREATE BACK PRESSURE AND THIS WOULD REALLY AFFECT THE ENGINE PERFORMANCE......πŸ˜’πŸ˜’πŸ˜’

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS.....
  • geococeo
    geococeo
    well this is tricky so my two cents:
    any device that use exhaust gas to turn a fan or magnets passing eachother from wheel to frame really have nothing to do with the sound that is produced, the source of the sound is a powerful motor and their are many ways to recieve power from it but you want to recycle sound right?
    the piezoelectric device seems the only one feasible but still vey inneficient in general i dont think you can expect to generate much electrical energy from these exhaust sounds but its worth a try for sure!! and also you should think of using this sound vibration for something mechanical??? one bad example i could come up with would be to make a sound driven shaker that agitates the hopper on a wood gas run ICM i also imagine the agitation of gasoline could be useful in some old carburated engines??
    interesting and mind bending project you have assumed!!
  • satheesh27887
    satheesh27887
    THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY....
    I DO AGREE THAT PIEZOELECTRIC DEVICE PRODUCE VERY LESS AMOUNT OF ELECTRICITY.....
    BUT MY OBJECTIVE IS TO DAMP ALL THE SOUND ENERGY COMING OUT OF THE ENGINE AND TO PRODUCE A POLLUTION FREE ENGINE.........

HELP ME GUYS.....
  • Sunnyrulz
    Sunnyrulz
    This might be a bit irrelevant over here...but once a friend of mine and i was discussing the same for a "telephone"...can we convert the sound energy being produced in a telephone's speaker for some useful purpose...that may just light the display/lcd of the phone set...similary it goes for other speakers...is that right "greater the dia/surface area of the speaker greater the energy produced"...i am only having a raw idea in my mind...dont exactly know what it is...cant express it...sorry for that...!! πŸ˜•
  • cwb
    cwb
    Just my humble opinions:

ON the piezo note, good luck finding piezos that can withstand the temp of the exhaust.

On the telephone speaker note, if you harness the energy produced by the speaker, you would, in fact, lower the volume being sent to your ears, which would make this impractical. This is because a larger speaker would necessitate more energy to move the greater mass it presents and in doing so, you are already negating the purpose for which you want to do it in the first place: to harness energy from it, thereby saving some. It might even come to a point where the additional energy required to move the speaker would be far greater than the amount you can salvage from it for it to be viable.
  • Ernesha
    Ernesha
    yes it is cause there is a club in italy that transverts the vibrations wich is sound to and the music they play into the the power they use to run the club and also if u were to get high vibrations or noise u can convert it to raw energy so to answer ur question yes u can
  • g_rakesh2
    g_rakesh2
    You use a transducer. It operates the same way the microphone in your telephone does. Your speech is converted to electrical impulses, which are then again converted into sound at the other end by the transducer in the receiver's earpiece.
    Microphones convert sound into energy, but at very low efficiency, since again it is the signal that interests us, not the energy. Other kinds of microphones, which modulate a current and do not produce energy, work just as well for this purpose.
    I have not heard of any system developed to convert sound into electrical energy efficiently and I do not think it is worthwhile to develop one, since the amounts of energy available in the form of sound are rather small, even if it appears very loud to your ears.
    Microphones available in the market these days are "dynamic" microphones. They contain a tube (known as a coil former) with a coil of wire wrapped around it, a magnet inside the coil former, and a diaphragm glued to one end of the coil former. The diaphragm moves the coil former back and forth across the magnet; as it moves, electricity is generated in the coil.
  • Corvus
    Corvus
    if the exhaust is forceful enough,
    we can use a turbine on the bike to power up lights, buzzers, etc.
  • Corvus
    Corvus
    Corvus
    if the exhaust is forceful enough,
    we can use a turbine on the bike to power up lights, buzzers, etc.

Actually, This would be using the enthalpy of exhaust rather than the sound.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    How about using a transducer set up as mentioned above, which will convert the sound energy from the exhaust to electrical impulse, then have a small storing device for this charge. Then have the same system which converts the electrical energy back to sound but this time with a device changing the frequency of the sound produced and so have the electrical energy converted to a sound that can be used like a HORN or a REVERSE HORN instead of some other type of sound produced.
    Or else we can use the small amount of electrical energy to power tail lights or so ( just a suggestion)
  • Corvus
    Corvus
    Or hou about using the pezio transducer for an electric reverse gear drive??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello but i'm seriously noob! Diploma Level from Singapore.
Hello there, I have some electronic devices which I need advice/suggestion on where I might be able to find people who are interested. My dad's friend had them for his...

Lcd

Hi,everyone! Hope you everything goes well! I am Ivy Wei from Shenzhen,China,work in Thingwell Electronics Internatioanl Co.,Ltd (ThingWell International Limited Company), Hope that can be friend with all of you....
hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii this is my first post. HEllo to all😎
im a electronics & comm. engineering student of 3'rd yr . does matlab offers any benifit to me . why nmatlab is used in the first place.