Difference Between Latches & Flip Flops?

As part of our group study initiatives, here's a topic suggested by Cranky Here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Discuss the topic in this thread and build up a discussion on the topic. ๐Ÿ˜€ All the best!

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Well, both latches and flip-flops are circuits whose output depends on the inputs and the previous outputs..

But the difference is that, a flip-flop will have a clock signal but a latch won't. In other words, latches are used in asynchronous circuits and flip-flops in synchronous circuits.

So, a flip-flop is nothing but a clocked latch! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • The Redeemer
    The Redeemer
    Latches are level sensitive while flip flops are edge sensitive.
  • cranky
    cranky
    @silver scorpion,redeemer:so how does a latch work..by saying level triggered,what do we mean?Where does the value change in a latch?
  • The Redeemer
    The Redeemer
    Hi Cranky,

By level sensitive we mean that output will respond to change in input as long as the control signal is high. Control signal can be a clock in case of flip flop or any other asynchronous signal in case of latch.

By edge sensitive we mean that output will only respond to input at the point when the control signal goes to high from low. Now when the control signal is high the output will not change with change in input. It will again change at the next rising edge of the clock.

• cranky
    cranky
    @Redeemer:So what you mean is,when it is high,the output=input?...so where does it get latched?๐Ÿ˜
  • The Redeemer
    The Redeemer
    @Cranky

True in case of D latch but not in other latches , take for example the SR latch. In SR latch the latching will take place when the control signal is zero and when the control signal is one the output will change according to the previous values of output and the SR value.

Control S R Q Q'
    0 0 0 latch latch
    0 0 1 latch latch
    0 1 0 latch latch
    0 1 1 latch latch
    1 0 0 latch latch
    1 0 1 0 1
    1 1 0 1 0
    1 1 1 0 0

@Moderator

Why can't I upload images from my computer?
  • chetan mehra
    chetan mehra
    to all,
    my question is:if we take a close look on the k-map simplification for the D flip flop,we see that the output does not depend on the previous outputs, but still we call it a flip flop,why?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Hmm.. Yeah. The output will not depend on the previous input.

In any flip flop or latch, the 'current' output will depend on the 'previous' outputs and the 'current' inputs only. Not on previous inputs..
    Is it clear?
  • cranky
    cranky
    @above all:thanks
    Q2:How to start problems that involve designing a counter with frequency/2,f/3 etc.
  • Avishkar Gote
    Avishkar Gote
    Latch is a another term used for flip-flop.Latches are level sensitive while flip flops are edge sensitive and yes both latches and flip-flops are circuits whose output depends on the inputs and the previous outputs..
  • Raunak1302
    Raunak1302
    cranky
    @Redeemer:So what you mean is,when it is high,the output=input?...so where does it get latched?๐Ÿ˜
    What do we exactly mean by getting latched??
  • sandeepbangalore
    sandeepbangalore
    The example shows D-latch and D-FF.

The simplest form of data storage is latch. It's output responds immidiately to changes at the input and the input state will be remembered, or "latched" onto. While "enable" input is active the input of the latch is transparant to the output, once "enable" is disactivated the output remains locked. Flip-flops use clock as a control input. The transition on output Q occurs only at the edge of the clock pulse. Input data must present T_setup time before clock edge and remain T_hold time after.

* RESET input, while it is not shown, is present in most FF.

ex: flipflop :
    module DFF (Q,_Q,D,clk,rst);
    output Q,_Q;
    input D,clk,rst;
    reg Q,_Q;
    always @(posedge clk or posedge rst)
    begin
    if (rst) Q <= 0;
    else Q <= D;
    _Q <= !Q;
    end
    endmodule
    ex: latch :
    module DLatch (Q,_Q,D,en,rst);
    output Q,_Q;
    input D,en,rst;
    reg Q,_Q;
    always @(en or D or posedge rst)
    begin
    if (rst) Q <= 0;
    else if (en) Q <= D;
    _Q <= !Q;
    end
    endmodule

untitled
  • sandeepbangalore
    sandeepbangalore
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    Raunak1302
    What do we exactly mean by getting latched??
    a

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Norton conducted an interesting survey among Indian mobile users and fond out that about 53% users have either lost their mobile phone or have been a victim of phone theft....
I want to paint a wall in my room and want to make it look bright and creative. It would be great if all you creative souls give me some...
Few days ago ,I was giving presentation on my new website that will be a ecommerce website in my class. Then I was not able to answer some queries of...
Switch on the TV and all you get to see is ADs! ๐Ÿ˜• Most of those ads are pathetic (made by some idiot management guys) Use this space to share...
Summer is here or going to be here in most parts of India. Where I live, it sometimes get to 50 degree Celsius. So, give & take a few technical...