Radar based automatic braking system in cars

hi crazy engineers
im deepak from india, i have this project idea of making a radar ( or laser ) based braking system in cars.
the transmitter transmits these waves which when detects any obstacle within a critical distance alarms the driver and applies automatic brakes to a safer speed or halt.
can anyone share some of their ideas with which i can start with, 4 im in my prefinal year and my brain hasnt yet touchd the radar fields...

Replies

• frozen2ice001
    frozen2ice001
    hi crazy engineers
    im deepak from india, i have this project idea of making a radar ( or laser ) based braking system in cars.
    the transmitter transmits these waves which when detects any obstacle within a critical distance alarms the driver and applies automatic brakes to a safer speed or halt.
    can anyone share some of their ideas with which i can start with, 4 im in my prefinal year and my brain hasnt yet touchd the radar fields... help me guys.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Good one, it can receive the radar frequency and automatically do brake, but it will be TOTALLY illegal for automobile companies to add it to their products it can be a small hack to the car, but a small hack to the radar can detect the receiver.

Anyway, good idea (Y)
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Very interesting topic. Please, first do some research online on similar projects or on radars and tell us what you have worked on and learnt?

Give us a direction.

Plus, I think practically this project is unfeasible or - well - NOT recommended. IMO, even I used to think about this for the poor truck drivers who have to drive to so many places at minimum speeds and long distances. For them, it would be very useful. But after some thinking realized that, putting a vital function of a vehicle in the hands of a computer is just too risky. Computers do not make complex decisions which have infinite outcomes. Its just not possible. Sometimes not breaking while hitting something helps. Think about it. Any suggestions CE'ians?
  • voialette
    voialette
    may be u should start off with gatherin info bout any one who has previously attempted it...also thinking on the 'prototype' level might help! the over all idea is really interesting!
  • krishnakumar
    krishnakumar
    hi even me searching for that ... did u get anything...?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Dude,you can go for a proto-type,and we may find its application in other feild,say in controlling a remote machine,anyhow i will look into my resources i will suggest you u shud study the rovers and remote controlled cars tat will help u in a vague idea,then u just have change the frequency of the signal & you will reach your objective!!!
  • technospartan
    technospartan
    well thats a damn good idea! how about using global positioning system (GSM)?
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    Deepak,
    A good idea,to crack knowhows for ur skillsets.Let me tell you, this is nearly 2 yrs that researchers like us are wrkin on Radar based GPS devices to cater interfacin.A bit hard to get my views now..but read carefully often when i send replies to any Topics..
    Now:-
    1>Let me know 1st how far u hve advanced on this project?
    TO DO:
    1>it needs Radar..but besides most important .it needs its GPS.
    2>Needs Localizer like cameras to identify sudden obstacles
    3>Software interfacing with braking system to program few important "For Loops".

Soumik,INDIA
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    just2rock
    Deepak,
    A good idea,to crack knowhows for ur skillsets.Let me tell you, this is nearly 2 yrs that researchers like us are wrkin on Radar based GPS devices to cater interfacin.A bit hard to get my views now..but read carefully often when i send replies to any Topics..
    Now:-
    1>Let me know 1st how far u hve advanced on this project?
    TO DO:
    1>it needs Radar..but besides most important .it needs its GPS.
    2>Needs Localizer like cameras to identify sudden obstacles
    3>Software interfacing with braking system to program few important "For Loops".

Soumik,INDIA
    Can standard GPS devices be realiable? You'd need to have one with a very fast response time (and accuracy) if you want to use it for braking purposes.
    In fact, why would we need GPS in the first place?

Maybe its a better idea to stick to um.. smaller ranged ideas. Like a proximity detector and the like. I like the idea of using image recognition too.

xheavenlyx pointed out about trusting computers up to a certain extent. While thats true.. I'm sure the computer can work out several situations in which the vehicle will have an imminent collision head on. At least it'll have a faster response than a human!
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    ash
    Can standard GPS devices be realiable? You'd need to have one with a very fast response time (and accuracy) if you want to use it for braking purposes.
    In fact, why would we need GPS in the first place?

Maybe its a better idea to stick to um.. smaller ranged ideas. Like a proximity detector and the like. I like the idea of using image recognition too.

xheavenlyx pointed out about trusting computers up to a certain extent. While thats true.. I'm sure the computer can work out several situations in which the vehicle will have an imminent collision head on. At least it'll have a faster response than a human!
    Placing GPS on top of list has reasons:-
    1. Positioning system for my car is most important prior to let my softwre go bang on mech. Braking to stop collision.
    2. As i have already said Localizers (Night vision enabled)and not with a short range rather with minimum of 20 mitre range coverage is needed.
    Their it goes .....so now start preparing 1 for your car too....bye
    For furthur Assistance~~~
    mail me at:-mail.for.soumik@gmail.com
  • maheshkrishnan
    maheshkrishnan
    Good one , But As Mao said it is not advisable . That for Truck Drivers we can implement this in a diffrent form. Can be enable or disable this module will be a better choice.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well,first of all we need a sensor with outmost accuracy it can be anything right from night-vision cameras to sonar,apart from that in India GPS is yet to come into its complete utilization so better we can use other mode of communication like CDMA just to keep track which is possible in Text-mode too.
    But first develop the necessary firmware with quick responce time and as relaible as possible,remember its an safety device!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    just2rock
    let my softwre go bang on mech.
    What? πŸ˜›

Just kidding.. Anyway, I'd really like to know more about using the GPS, since you guys have been working 2 years on it. Must the system know the position of other cars? That would imply that they also need a GPS device too right? How do you tackle on the accuracy and response time of the GPS data?

sauravgoswami
    remember its an safety device!!
    Exactly!

I guess noise and interference may factor in the accuracy of any wireless device. A telecom engineer's worse enemy πŸ˜”
  • gohm
    gohm
    Do some searching on the net, some folks in Europe have this idea in use in a driverless vehicle prototype. Multiple vehicles all following each other in tight formation via sensors with no active driver. A compromise between individual vehicle ownership & mass transit. I bet your idea of just having the braking system in place would indeed be the first step of this transport becoming produced for market. great idea!
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    ash
    What? πŸ˜›

Just kidding.. Anyway, I'd really like to know more about using the GPS, since you guys have been working 2 years on it. Must the system know the position of other cars? That would imply that they also need a GPS device too right? How do you tackle on the accuracy and response time of the GPS data?

ohh ..so funny and kiddish ,why not try appropiate section:sshhh:

See for GPS details better give Google the chance and take all valuable details.
    N read carefully before just start typing...as I have already mentioned what are the major priorities.
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    sauravgoswami
    Well,first of all we need a sensor with outmost accuracy it can be anything right from night-vision cameras to sonar,apart from that in India GPS is yet to come into its complete utilization so better we can use other mode of communication like CDMA just to keep track which is possible in Text-mode too.
    But first develop the necessary firmware with quick responce time and as relaible as possible,remember its an safety device!!
    Please follow the details and priorities provided on this Topic above.Lastly ,India is doing good ,a bit late though πŸ˜’,as many Applications on GPS has already been started ..u know,and so far my bit experience in CDMA technology with some CDMA giants earlier ,i know, handheld set only provide you with a compass and knowhow on PN Mode,Channels etc,in text mode .

thats right ,being a safety device the most major priority should be to make proper INterfacing!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    just2rock
    ohh ..so funny and kiddish ,why not try appropiate section:sshhh:

See for GPS details better give Google the chance and take all valuable details.
    N read carefully before just start typing...as I have already mentioned what are the major priorities.
    Ohh.. touchΓ© πŸ˜› lighten up, man.

Im sure some of us would like to know about YOUR research work, not some general knowledge. Isn't Crazy Engineers about discusssing stuff, just2rock? I know what your priorities are, I just wish you to detail it out more, please πŸ˜€

ie.. its easy to detect obstacles if the data is already stored in the system (eg barriers). But what of other cars? Does your system runs on the assumption that they also have gps?

Also, don't forget anyone else can share in their ideas regarding to the original poster.

peace out πŸ˜‰
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    ash
    Ohh.. touchΓ© πŸ˜› lighten up, man.

Im sure some of us would like to know about YOUR research work, not some general knowledge. Isn't Crazy Engineers about discusssing stuff, just2rock? I know what your priorities are, I just wish you to detail it out more, please πŸ˜€
    Thanx,i i had told a lot regarding the project so far and will do also for .But isnt it very silly to repeat same things Ash?πŸ˜•
    Nope,they dosent presume other cars too have an GPS,rather it has an Image recognizable Camera in it to detect...which I have already mentioned...in priorities..so better dont forget nowπŸ˜‰
  • shamsherali
    shamsherali
    i login first time in this crazy engineer site and i m interstedt o know about radar based automatic braking system in cars.
    i dont know it is ur community or wat i just got from search in google i m interested to know about this thing
  • shamsherali
    shamsherali
    yes definetly it is one of the creative thinking R.B.A.B.S in car .
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    just2rock
    Nope,they dosent presume other cars too have an GPS,rather it has an Image regognizable Camera in it to detect...which I have already mentioned...in priorities..so better dont forget nowπŸ˜‰
    Thanks, was waiting for that πŸ˜‰ Forgive me if I did not have accute insight when reading your posts, but when you didnt elaborate on how to detect other cars (other than saying "sudden obstacles"), I was assuming you use GPS to detect dynamically moving objects (cars) too *slaps head*

Now back to GPS. Since its no doubt that its the TOP priority above image cameras, will possible innaccuracies or interferences affect the safety performance here when braking? I seek your opinion on this, not broad generalities πŸ˜€ You mentioned Radar. What of it?

On other things, its also worth looking at the image processing side of things. Is it possible to analyze the scaling of objects as they get closer with MATLAB?
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    shamsherali
    i login first time in this crazy engineer site and i m interstedt o know about radar based automatic braking system in cars.
    i dont know it is ur community or wat i just got from search in google i m interested to know about this thing
    welcome to Samser Ali..yes you are in the right place.Go through posts above regarding the topic to know details.
    SOUMIK
  • just2rock
    just2rock
    ash
    Now back to GPS. Since its no doubt that its the TOP priority above image cameras, will possible innaccuracies or interferences affect the safety performance here when braking? I seek your opinion on this, not broad generalities πŸ˜€ You mentioned Radar. What of it?

On other things, its also worth looking at the image processing side of things. Is it possible to analyze the scaling of objects as they get closer with MATLAB?
    Ohh sure...forgive u dearπŸ˜›
    yes you are right ,safety is the utmost priority.
    while developing software ,you have to have keen knowhow on all sorts of obstacles...may it a car or wall...well "sudden obstacle"can be anything.
    Radar senses the road ahead,measures distance of obstacles in binary and transllate information to Computer brain fixed in the trunks or bonet to push brakes just as to make split second decisions like humans.
    well any Status measuring software you can use.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi,,,this is manish.....pursuing B.E.-ECE(IV-yr) frm BIRLA INSTITUTE OF APPLIED SCIENCES ,Bhimtal,Nainital,,,,,
please if any one knw abt this topic please send me codes for the following topic The two topics are 1.SAMBA BUS- A communication architecture for SoC's (using Spice OR...
I am a student of Electronic Engineering(3rd year), i am really confused, how to find a final year project, can anyone pelase guide me, how to select it.
can anyone give some topics of mini project for mechanical engineers....?
I'm a 3rd yr civil engg. student at NIT, Jaipur. I wish to do my summer internship at bangalore. Can anybody help me out on this, please?