Intel Dual Core & Core 2 Duo Processors - are they different?

CEans,

What do you have to say about the "Core 2 Duo" & "Dual Core" INTEL CPU?

Just two names for the same thing or two different things? ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I believe they are different.. Core 2 is a technology, kinda like P4. It can have a different number of "cores" in it. Im not too sure about Dual Core.. but I know it has only two cores in it ๐Ÿ˜›

Anyhow, if you add Pentium D, it gets more confusing. That's a dual core P4 processor, haha.
  • ankititstime
    ankititstime
    they r different
    dual core is striped down version of core 2 duo
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ankit, I guess core 2 duo is upgrade of core duo.

Btw, what are the key features that differentiate core duo & dual core?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Ankit is correct. The C2D is just an upgrade of Dual Core, nothing else. Intel's way of creating different pricing points in the market.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    kidakaka
    Ankit is correct. The C2D is just an upgrade of Dual Core, nothing else. Intel's way of creating different pricing points in the market.
    Dual Core is pretty similar to two cores of Celeron chips, right? That means low power consumption too.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hmmm .. similar to Celeron, but I did not know about the lower power consumption!! Isnt that Centrino?

Biggie, can we have an Intel engineer shed some more light on this?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka
    Biggie, can we have an Intel engineer shed some more light on this?
    Why not. I'm in the process of getting some of the most amazing engineers on the plant for Small Talk on CE .

Coming back to the discussion, I'm still waiting for someone to point out the key differences between the two.
  • prabhat kumar
    prabhat kumar
    yes they are different .in spped of process defined on it p4 or else
  • friendster7
    friendster7
    The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (Hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs, Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one.

Dual Core is better because it has 2 processors. The more the better. (Dell has a Quad Core, 4, processor computer and Mac has a Dual Quad Core processor, yes 8 processors). The main difference is that core duo is 32-bit processor, where as Core 2 Duo is 64-it processor, also for Core 2 Duo, the cache memory is 4MB compared to 2MB of Core Duo.
  • th3 ied kid
    th3 ied kid
    it doesn't often happen that u loose bucks over petty bets...but thats what happened with
    this question too....a friend of mine demonstrated that core2duo is kinda 64bit equivalent
    of core duo...
    yes...a core duo proccesor in a laptop didnt allow installation of a 64bit linux OS but
    a core2duo smoothly runs a 64bit Os!
    consider reading wiki atricle....
  • mahul
    mahul
    Here's my take

The dual core processors have two cores with each cpu having an adjoining cache as well.

The core 2 duo processors also have 2 cores and caches but what intel says is that these processors have some sort of advanced architecture that consumes very little power and produces less heat thus maintaining a high processing speed and hence giving better performance than dual core processors
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    The conversation is so knowledge gainable:clap:
    any more differences?
  • swati verma
    swati verma
    Thanks a lot for so many good answers.......
  • bitnbyte1986
    bitnbyte1986
    core 2 duo has separate cache memory on each of its processor die chip ...on the other hand dual core has a shared cache memory for both processors...so effectively core 2 duo due to independent caches is faster...
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    This is something my friend told me.

Open task manager in windows.
    If the processor is dual core, there will be only one graph indicating the resource usage of the processor.
    In core 2 duo, there'll be two separate graphs.

I verified it with the core 2 duo, as it's what my PC is running on. I'm not sure about dual core processor. And I'm also not sure of what's the meaning of single and two graphs thingy..
  • ***STRIDER***
    ***STRIDER***
    strange no one is clear abt the differnce between c2d n dual core.....
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    yes i think you are probably right..
    In Dual core both the cores share same cache memory
    In core2Duo both the cores have separate cache memory

thats why core2duo is costlier and performs better then dual core

and all core2duo processors are dual core
  • xero
    xero
    woaw, so many discussions!!
    i'll try to keep it simple ๐Ÿ˜€

Dual Core means processor with 2 cores in a single dye

Core 2 - just a brand for processors ๐Ÿ˜

Now the bed time story... processors can have either a single core, two cores .. etc
    if you ask the performance between dual core and core 2, its irrelevant, you can't compare a technology and brand ๐Ÿ˜

So now we have Core 2 Solo(1 core), Core 2 Duo(2 cores), and Core 2 quad(4 cores) n core 2 bla bla !!

and when we say "Core 2", its the core second revision, i.e with enhancements ๐Ÿ˜€

I hope i've made it clear ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think the confusion lies in Pentium Dual Core that just "dual core". Thats another brand ๐Ÿ˜‰ Less powerful than the Core 2 Duo, of course.
  • markk
    markk
    I have learnt so much from reading this thread, all very interesting. :smile:
  • shiva meda
    shiva meda
    you guys rock

thank you guys

and one more thing here

do we have any chance to upgrade dual core to i3
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    bitnbyte1986
    core 2 duo has separate cache memory on each of its processor die chip ...on the other hand dual core has a shared cache memory for both processors...so effectively core 2 duo due to independent caches is faster...
    I just saw this thread and looks like no clear conclusion.
    The above quoted post is correct one.
    Both dual core and core2duo consists of 2 cores but with slight difference.
    Dual core: two cores on single integrated circuit die
    Core2Duo: two cores on separate integrated circuit die for better multiprocessing.
    Generally core2duo comes with higher cache size than dual core.

That is why this happens

silverscorpion
    This is something my friend told me.

Open task manager in windows.
    If the processor is dual core, there will be only one graph indicating the resource usage of the processor.
    In core 2 duo, there'll be two separate graphs.
    Here is dual-core architecture from Wikipedia
    Multi Core Processor
  • Chinu1
    Chinu1
    Dual Core means what looks like a single CPU on the outside actually contains two separate processors on the inside. Quad Cores contain 4 cores. These all fit into a single socket.
    There are a large number of "Dual Core" processors on the market.
    The "Core 2 Duo" is one of these and is the fastest.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Many debates say Core2Duo is DualCore with New Generation architecture & thus is super over-clockable with less heat dissipation & less power consumption.
    While dualcore is oldschool dualcore processor which was released after pentiumD to cope heating of CPU.
    Mainly both DualCore & Core2duo has 2 Intel processors embedded in single die which share caches.

Real truth only Intel Engineer knows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Engiz I was watching old program for a scientist here was talking about some other scientist discovered how we can generate infinite amount of electric current. Method: A wire...
HI, IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS EVER WRITTEN A PROGRAM CONTROL THE OVERSHOOT, SETTLING TIME ETC OF A SYSTEM. pls message me if you any idea on this.
Hi,can anyone provide me simple way to learning the programming in C & C++. I have no idea about it. Acctually i have to give an written exam for C...
why ethernet does not works with fastethernet interface in a network.
If you hangout at CE frequently, and get bored when there isnt any new posts (or spammers to ban), here's good game to try: Don't Push the Red Button