Serial Blasts in Delhi

5 - 9 blasts in 3 crowded market places of Delhi. Terrorist group Indian Mujahideen has claimed responsibility for the attacks. Stats show that India is the country most hit by terrorism.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Re: Serial Blasts

The Ceans from Delhi are Safe? !!!

please reply as soon as possible
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88

I am safe. Thank You for asking. Looking forward to replies from other CEans from the capital.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

What? Blasts again? Patty, could you please update ?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thanks god....

This is really Sad news...
    What the hell is going on here in INDIA
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [​IMG] [Update] The terrorists sent an email to the news channels at the time of the blasts. Police have tracked the origin of e-mail through IP. The mail seems to have originated at Mumbai.

The Indian Mujahideen email, titled "the Message of Death", said: "In the name of Allah, Indian Mujahideen strikes back once more. ... Do whatever you can. Stop us if you can."
    Anyone among us can offer help to the police? Please respond!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [update]

Three live bombs were found and they had ammonium nitrate as explosive.

BULL$HIT!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Man, this is sad news 😔 What the heck is wrong with these people?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    oh no What is this going on 😔
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Man, I'm seriously annoyed. I recently watched few movies that were based on the bomb blasts in Mumbai.

I believe we can stop these people.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    its wednesday am i right Biggie?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A Wednesday, Mumbai Meri Jaan, Black Friday
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    yes Black Friday also....
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The_Big_K
    Man, I'm seriously annoyed. I recently watched few movies that were based on the bomb blasts in Mumbai.

I believe we can stop these people.
    When you are pushed much beyond your maximum limit, you achieve a level beyond anger. You become cold, ruthless, without feeling for the person you consider your enemy. You don't do things rashly in hot blooded anger, but plan out your counter attack. Time does not matter.
    Maximum of my family members are in the Armed Forces and I have heard stories about war and these terrorist attacks since childhood. I have photographs in my house of wounded and dead people which would make the strongest among you sick, clicked by my father when he was posted to various war infested countries eg Somalia during the early 90's. I used to get sad and disturbed first. Gradually I became angry against these people and then I reached the highest level couple of years ago when blasts had hit Delhi's Sarojini Nagar market and other markets during Diwali Holidays.
    I see that Biggie has reached the level of Anger. Yes we can hit back but for that we would have to condition our mind and body for the challenge. I have plans but until I am sure of them I won't disclose them. Let me first study the mental level of our other members.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    godfather
    yes Black Friday also....
    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THESE BLASTS ARE FOR TERROR... NOT TO KILL PEOPLE..

These are low intensity blasts.. but in higly populated markets, which spreads the terror, Also everytime they blast 5-6 and left 10 unattended just to show that they can damage in a much bigger way..

-Crazy
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    How are these bombs detonated? Timed or remote? We could easily jam radio signals if its the latter.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ash
    How are these bombs detonated? Timed or remote? We could easily jam radio signals if its the latter.
    generally these are timed bombs.. Thats why They drop mails and start exploding.

-Crazy
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @patty -

Probably we've been thinking on similar lines. I believe these blasts & terrorist attacks can be stopped. Anger has always been there - but as I realize, I *can do* something about it, I become restless.

However, I do not have immediate solution to fix these problems.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ ash - that's a very good suggestion. What if we come up with a device that detects explosive material. We may plant buzzers all over the public places.

Possible, right?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    crazyboy
    THE MAIN PROBLEM IS THESE BLASTS ARE FOR TERROR... NOT TO KILL PEOPLE..

These are low intensity blasts.. but in higly populated markets, which spreads the terror, Also everytime they blast 5-6 and left 10 unattended just to show that they can damage in a much bigger way..

-Crazy
    The blasts used were crude. Mainly the focus was on packing additional nuts and bolts. The idea is that when the bomb blasts, these objects will fly like bullets killing or seriously wounding the people around. Such type of bombs are made when the powder available is not adequate for a big bang bomb.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    crazyboy
    generally these are timed bombs.. Thats why They drop mails and start exploding.

-Crazy
    I see, then we'll need to think alternatively. I do not know much of the construction of timed bombs beyond watching them on movies, but since they use electronics in the fuse, you can interfere with it through high powered EM waves. Just think about how static sensitive the components in your computers are.

Of course, if the timing trigger is mechanical, then thats another problem 😔
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    @ ash - that's a very good suggestion. What if we come up with a device that detects explosive material. We may plant buzzers all over the public places.

Possible, right?
    Very possible actually. Explosives give out some compounds in the air which you can detect. Unfortunately, given the amount of different compounds in the air in crowded places, you'll need super sensitive sensors.

Also, is there a better way than give out a warning? Surely there will be mass panic.

I remember when I was in London, I lived in a Jewish area. There had been threats of bombing there, so the Police sealed up all rubbish bins and created "bomb bins" which detected bombs can be thrown in and safely detonated. Perhaps we should make sure there are limited places in which you can discreetly hide a package.

[EDIT]
    By the way, perhaps we can move this to the Infocus section? What do you think?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The anatomy of the bombs used yesterday. Total weight :- 1.5 - 2 Kg. Imprivised bombs having low intensity.
    A wooden box containing Ammonium Nitrate tied in a black tape. Two detonators attached to a clock. Electronic detonators were used. Remaining space in the box filled by iron Ball Bearings, bolts and small sharp objects that will accelerate in all directions causing damage. This box was placed in a polythene bag and 9 such bags were kept at various locations in Delhi. This crude explosive has been used earlier this year in the serial blasts in Jaipur, Ahemdabad and Bangalore.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well its a crude bomb!!however they have a huge impact,and interestingly these terror gruops are originating from india,so India can act tough on them,the way Modi did for gujarat blasts
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ammonium Nitrate.. easy to improvise explosives eh. I think the key is to have a cost effective way to detect inorganic nitrates in crowded areas.

Electronic detonators can also be easy to make using basic electronic components unfortunately. You can theoretically fry these with a high powered EM wave, but you'll be destroying a lot of electrical equipment within the proximity.

Of course, that's still the alternative to getting blasted.

So.. detection of inorganic nitrates, then disarming the detonator, all within a cost effective solution for wide deployment. Possible? Perhaps the detection can encompass other classes of explosives in case they get access to them.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Has the discussions stopped? 😔 I left a comment on biggie's blog post regarding this. In case you missed it:

TDLAS is usually used for gas detection and whatnot. It has only been recently applied for bomb detection. The usual TDLAS equipment set up is quite elaborate, requiring a pressurized gas chamber to feed the sample gas in, and the laser will need to penetrate through the gas. The receiver on the other end will detect the changes of signal intensity.. and you can pretty much measure a variety of parameters. Obviously you can’t lug all the optics and equipment in the field, but there are now handheld portable versions of the TDLAS which is pretty suitable for “field” operations. The US Army Research lab as done reports on it, but the implementation is still preliminary. We don’t need to have a fully functional TDLAS, just one that can adequately detect the decay products of the nitrate explosive. We can fabricate our own using the optical components easily available in the telecom industry, and hook it up to the computer. The main analysis (FT, etc) will be performed in the comp. MATLAB should be sufficient. Have a couple of low powered (read: safe for the eyes) lasers pointing all over. Hook up a CCD camera, and overlay the image with the laser data. The result? The operator can “see” which object on the screen has potential explosives in it. You can also make the laser/camera/computer system remote and send data “wirelessly” to the Police HQ. This is MUCH safer than shooting x-rays into the public, haha.
    There are still some issues, such as potential interference and how to efficiently get the lasers to reflect back from the background topography.. but should be an okay challenge for crazy engineers [​IMG]
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Quite cool research you have done Ash. I hope the notes I sent were of some use. They were mainly of bomb detection robots and can be used in the both the CE Bot and here. Another bomb blast occurred in New Delhi today. 1 dead "a 9 year old boy". 20 injured. 10 are in a critical stage. Let us do something fast.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    raj87verma88
    Quite cool research you have done Ash. I hope the notes I sent were of some use. They were mainly of bomb detection robots and can be used in the both the CE Bot and here. Another bomb blast occurred in New Delhi today. 1 dead "a 9 year old boy". 20 injured. 10 are in a critical stage. Let us do something fast.
    Another blast? Darn..

Hm, I had a feeling the files you sent were related to this 😉 From what I've read, using robots for bomb disposal purposes and detection is useful. But the proposed sensors used are very expensive: from $30k-$60k each. I believe these are used in situations where there is a suspected package, or that bomb squads want to evaluate potential locations such as an isolated car.

We could use robots to load up the portable TDLAS though. Quite an interesting possibility.

I'll need to buy some laser pointers to test this theory of chemical spectral analysis. But I'm really really swamped with university work 😔 Why don't some of you guys talk with the Indian Police and work out some kind of cooperation?
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well possibly but everything depends on the population of poeple in that area and also the locality low-intensity blast in crammed areas is equally life-taking as a big.
    Bomb detection in thin air aint possible as technology in bombs are also changing day by day
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Has anyone thought of using Synthetic Aperture Radar for detecting concealed explosives? That has some potential..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the main difference between the "LINUX" and "WINDOWS" ? Which is more user-friendly.
i am in seventh sem mechanical ,as v hav project nxt sem i don knw to select a topic on wat to work.cud u guys help me out ???
Hackers have mounted an attack on the Large Hadron Collider, raising concerns about the security of the biggest experiment in the world as it passes an important new milestone. The...
hi, I need you to plz give me final year project ideas related to Communication Systems, Networking, GSM, WiMAX, VoIP, 3G Technologies or Wireless Sensor Networks. Thanx in advance.
News Source: - [ September 12, 2008] Integrated circuit is 50 years old today | News | Custom PC It’s half a century since the first integrated circuit was demonstrated...