Lights off for Earth Hour! [28/3/2009]

Alright earth loving CEans, its time to take a stand against global warming.

For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote รข€“ Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.
On 28th March, 8.30pm local time (wherever you are), switch off all your lights! With thousands of engineers on board, our actions could make a great difference ๐Ÿ˜€

More info here:
Join One Of The World's Largest Movements for Nature | Earth Hour 2022

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm game!

I'm of opinion that this should be a weekly activity (if not daily ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, you are right. I guess the weekly activity can called CE Hour ๐Ÿ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    we are into it as well.

We are planning to lay down in park for 1 hr๐Ÿ˜
    By the way i strognly feel that this should take a space on the home page! just to remind people evrytime they log in.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, I guess Biggie can see to it ๐Ÿ˜‰

I'm not sure what I can do for 1 hr in the dark. Sleep?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    no.
    use a solar powered light and do your research! ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Fortunately, Egypt considered a below 3 world country which isn't capable to help, We are luckily not able to vote!

Cheer up Egyptians we have one more lights hour to live! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    ash
    Hm, you are right. I guess the weekly activity can called CE Hour ๐Ÿ˜›
    CE hour in the dark?? Doing nothing?? No way!!
    CE hour should be something during which people use their engineering prowess for
    sime god cause..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    silverscorpion
    CE hour in the dark?? Doing nothing?? No way!!
    CE hour should be something during which people use their engineering prowess for
    sime god cause..
    Wait, isnt that the duty of an engineer anyway? ๐Ÿ˜›
  • gohm
    gohm
    I'm in, also posted it on work message board
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    * A gentle reminder for all earth loving CEans on the behalf of "Ash" *

Your one simple step may really help someone directly or indirectly.๐Ÿ˜€
  • Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    ya its good.
    For the first time in history, people of all ages, nationalities, race and background have the opportunity to use their light switch as their vote โ€“ Switching off your lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of 1 billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen 2009.
    but what is this one hour?
    should it be one hour i mean to vote one hour is needed.
    @Ash:
    I'm not sure what I can do for 1 hr in the dark. Sleep?
    can't we do other than sleeping in dark , i mean discuss with friends about some topic like that
    @Durga:
    use a solar powered light and do your research!
    Here switching off the light is matter rather than what source we are using for light.
    Switching off our lights is a vote for Earth, or leaving them on is a vote for global warming
  • safwan
    safwan
    I dont know why here in saudi Arabia there is lot oppertunity for solar power but they dont use it.? but i dont know?
    ya unable to vote for earth hour. from sudi areabia its not in list.but sure we as an upcoming engineers we should go green. means eco-frendly technology .
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    i have done my part.
    Me and my roomie switched off lights for 1 hr complete and listened to ipod instead ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Me too.
    The funny thing is that the power supply was cut off for the whole city from 8:30 to 9:30. So it was also forced upon people who did not wish to join.
  • gohm
    gohm
    You should notify your governments they did it early, TODAY is 3/28...๐Ÿ˜›
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Even I was listening music on my phone for 1 hr.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hello! Dropping by to show my vote for Earth Hour 2009 ๐Ÿ˜€

[youtube]r5UaaQLFU2w[/youtube]

... *quickly logs off*
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ahaha!
    innovative ash!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ PATTY:
    when Earth hour was intorduced for the first time in 2007, it was forced earth hour in SYDNEY as well ๐Ÿ˜€
  • sirijagan
    sirijagan
    Global warming!
    Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and the oceans. There are many reasons for global warming. The Green house gases are the main culprits .
    Another major cause of global warming is deforestation. Trees collect the CO2 that we breathe out and give away from various other sources, and they give back oxygen that we breathe in. Thus, cutting of trees is leading to greater concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
    Actually Lights off for Earth Hour! is really a great concept which I have followed and still love to continue. But do you think this is the only way to help reduce global warming? No. There are many environmentally friendly ways. I have started my way by using only recycled or eco friendly or green products specially the clothes I wear, office supplies or home products I use. I support Local Sustainable Small Business.
    My patronage of sustainable businesses contributes to a greener business world! No matter how technological we become everyone needs pencils and paper and
    Maybe because I'm a paper and textile junkie I love to use 100% Eco-friendly or recycled clothes and sustainable stationery products and while surfing I found a great coupon for it here - the coupon is halfway down the page . What are your ideas regarding global warming and how will you try to be different in reducing global warming?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi there, can u please provide me some details regarding "Dish antenna positioning system using telephone".....๐Ÿ˜€
How much is 2 + 2. Chartered Accountant : 4. Doctor : Approximately 4. Judge : It should be 4. Politician : We will make it 4. Lawyer : We...
i have qualified in gate with obc category woth following details branch: electronics and communication all india rank 2511 percentile 94.11 gate score 444 score out of 100 is 35.66...
I have completed my B.Tech "Electronics and Communication" Engineering in 2008. I got is 53% in total.Actually I have 22 backlogs in total, but I have managed to complete 20...
How might a bike starts and improve speed when gear added and raised.whts might be the basic phenomenon of petrol converting to mechanical energy?