CE Project: Worlds Widest Webpage

Hi CEans!

I'm always full of weird ideas*. I've been thinking about having something interesting on CE Labs which will attract world's attention. Something which is simple to do. Something which is Crazy.

So I'm thinking about building World's Widest Web Page on CE. I'd like to know your thoughts on this. So, how easy is it to build one? How do we go about it? How much time will it take? What all do we put on the WWWP?...

Crazy, right?
-The Big K-
*CE
was one of them ๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• vibhor_one
    vibhor_one
    Re: Project WWWP

The_Big_K
    Hi CEans!

I'm always full of weird ideas*. I've been thinking about having something interesting on CE Labs which will attract world's attention. Something which is simple to do. Something which is Crazy.

So I'm thinking about building World's Widest Web Page on CE. I'd like to know your thoughts on this. So, how easy is it to build one? How do we go about it? How much time will it take? What all do we put on the WWWP?...

Crazy, right?
    -The Big K-
    *CE was one of them ๐Ÿ˜
    hi,

ur idea is really good one...for building a WWWP.....on CE but i want to know what purpose it will solve....????

vibhor_one
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

vibhor_one
    hi,

ur idea is really good one...for building a WWWP.....on CE but i want to know what purpose it will solve....????

vibhor_one
    Purpose is clear - To get the attention and having fun!

It will also give us the joy of having involved in something that might go into Guinness Records ๐Ÿ˜‰ . Morever we'll get a chance to learn from the challenges which we face while working on an 'online' project ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • Neha
    Neha

That seems to be a superb idea! Great going Biggie, but how can we achieve it? We need more information on that.
  • Jerry
    Jerry

Great idea Big K! I wonder why this thread is not so active. Where are all Crazy Engineers hiding? ๐Ÿ˜’

We can put a horizontal scale on WWWP to measure the length. I also propose that we link the page content to the thread so that the page gets updated (and wider) everytime there is a new post on the thread. But I don't know if this is possible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Neha
    That seems to be a superb idea! Great going Biggie, but how can we achieve it? We need more information on that.
    Jerry
    Great idea Big K! I wonder why this thread is not so active. Where are all Crazy Engineers hiding? ๐Ÿ˜’

We can put a horizontal scale on WWWP to measure the length. I also propose that we link the page content to the thread so that the page gets updated (and wider) everytime there is a new post on the thread. But I don't know if this is possible.
    Thanks for the support, Jerry & Neha ๐Ÿ˜ . It will take some time for the discussions & action to pick up pace. We'll do it anyways. Any takers?

-The Big K-
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar

Fine !!! Sounds good,

Great concept you came with biggie,

Lets see how the target reaches.

Eagerly Awaiting...

Regards,
    -A.SK...
  • aashima
    aashima

I am little confused as what actually is the Widest WebPage for? Biggie could you be a little more elaborate? Though surely the idea is crazy and would be great fun to work on!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

aashima
    I am little confused as what actually is the Widest WebPage for? Biggie could you be a little more elaborate? Though surely the idea is crazy and would be great fun to work on!!
    Well, Widest Webpage, (I hope) will -
    1. Attract attention
    2. Give us the feeling of having done something 'big'
    3. Give us the confidence that we can successfully execute project online.
    4. Give us lots & lots of fun! ๐Ÿ˜
    That's it. Doesn't make sense? Who cares? ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • aashima
    aashima

It does make sense! So what are the plans to get started?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

aashima
    It does make sense! So what are the plans to get started?
    Not an enthusiastic response on this thread so far. Probably we need more Crazy Engineers who'll be thrilled to be involved in WWWP project.

We'll also need someone who can work out a plan. We'll need a technical expert ๐Ÿ˜ who can take initiative to get the things started.

-The Big K-
  • trekfan
    trekfan

I don't know much about web design, but wouldn't it be fairly simple to just upload an image of ridiculous proportions (like 314159265x1 pixels) to make it a ridiculously wide web page?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

trekfan
    I don't know much about web design, but wouldn't it be fairly simple to just upload an image of ridiculous proportions (like 314159265x1 pixels) to make it a ridiculously wide web page?
    That's one of the way to do it. How about making it more interesting by using content generated by CEans instead of a simple image? Of course, we can use the image as a scale to measure the length ๐Ÿ˜‰

Any thoughts?

-The Big K-
  • pad
    pad

The_Big_K
    Hi CEans!

Crazy, right?
    -The Big K-
    *CE
    was one of them ๐Ÿ˜
    i think this kind of "World's Widest Web Page" is not feasible (or at least depend on the Web server/ OS or the programming language used)
    Reason:
    any acript in endless loop can generate an endless stream of characters so theoretically everyone can have the "World's Widest Web Page" as an infitite stream of characters.
    now think about the experience the user will have while loding such an endless stream in her browser...
    1. most probably browser will crash as a result of buffer over-flow.
    2. OS networking layer may become unoperational while buffering the result of http resquest.
    3. user will be billed for that page endlessly as long as that page is open and stream is still coming (or brower/OS crashes... by the way this may be a good way to experiment whether OS is better or browser)

more over no server host will provide such kind of "functionality" (well quite literally it is shooting one's own feet)

i'm not in favour of such an experiment...
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Hello pad,

I did some (re)search on the internet and found out that few guys have worked out World's Longest Web Page, which is around 600+ kilometer long. My gut feeling says we can build world's widest page which will load in the browser without any problem.

Btw, is there any way we can do it anyway? How about thinking something innovative that should take care of all the practical problems that you mentioned? If you say, we can find a suitable web host who will allow us to do that (if it is required).

I was thinking about having content display on the browser as the user scrawls sideways. That should solve the problem and also result in better(?) user experience. Let me know what you think.

Let us welcome more thoughts on this.

-The Big K-
  • DEP
    DEP

The_Big_K
    Hi CEans!

Crazy, right?
    -The Big K-
    *CE was one of them ๐Ÿ˜

hey biggie, your idea is not at all weird...its superb.
    i do know the basics of web designing and can make significant contributions if n only if you elaborate what you exactly mean by"WWWP"...
  • Rocker
    Rocker

trekfan
    trekfan, could you elaborate on it a little more? I think putting an image of the dimensions that you mentioned should work. But how to create such an image? ๐Ÿ˜’

DEP
    hey biggie, your idea is not at all weird...its superb.
    i do know the basics of web designing and can make significant contributions if n only if you elaborate what you exactly mean by"WWWP"...
    DEP, WWWP is World's Wides Web Page. The idea is great and I've not seen any website which has tried such a project ๐Ÿ˜‰ . If you know the basics of web designing, can you write about how to go about this project? How can we start?
  • crook
    crook

I wish I knew HTML ๐Ÿ˜• . How can I contribute to WWWP? I can make it popular among my friends ๐Ÿ˜
  • pad
    pad

The_Big_K
    Hello pad,

I did some (re)search on the internet and found out that few guys have worked out World's Longest Web Page, which is around 600+ kilometer long. My gut feeling says we can build world's widest page which will load in the browser without any problem.

Btw, is there any way we can do it anyway? How about thinking something innovative that should take care of all the practical problems that you mentioned? If you say, we can find a suitable web host who will allow us to do that (if it is required).

I was thinking about having content display on the browser as the user scrawls sideways. That should solve the problem and also result in better(?) user experience. Let me know what you think.

Let us welcome more thoughts on this.

-The Big K-
    Hi...
    read
    #-Link-Snipped-#

may be Pi can help us in generaring the widest/longest webpage... and also with a message ;-)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

pad
    Hi...
    read
    #-Link-Snipped-#

may be Pi can help us in generaring the widest/longest webpage... and also with a message ;-)
    Yep that's a good idea. I think we can do a better job by having users to contribute to the WWWP.

Its a crazy idea. But we need lots of active people to get it done.

-The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

CEans!

Those who still doubt if World's Widest Web Page is possible - Have a look at this website : - #-Link-Snipped-# !

Now we have a challenge, what say?

Tasks -

1. The idea used by above website is fantastic. Can we think something on similar lines?
    2. I personally think of a 'form' which our CEans fill in & it gets uploaded to the WWWP, so that with every new entry, our WWWP widens ๐Ÿ˜
    3. Clear all self-doubts. Let's get started! HTML Gurus! Where are you? (any other alternatives on how to implement this?)
    Cummon folks! Its our chance to put our name in the World Record Holder's list - yep, you are included! ๐Ÿ˜€

-The Big K-
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak

Thats a good website. But I'm not sure why they have developed such a thing. I didn't find any value in creating such a page, although indeed the concept is innovative.

Anyway, why do some thing on the similar line? We will do some thing different. I'm an absolute novice as far as technology goes. So I won't be much of help. But I urge all the intelligent CEans ๐Ÿ˜Ž to come up with suggestions and ideas.

So shoot!
  • Rocker
    Rocker

mayurpathak
    Thats a good website. But I'm not sure why they have developed such a thing. I didn't find any value in creating such a page, although indeed the concept is innovative.

Anyway, why do some thing on the similar line? We will do some thing different. I'm an absolute novice as far as technology goes. So I won't be much of help. But I urge all the intelligent CEans ๐Ÿ˜Ž to come up with suggestions and ideas.

So shoot!
    Why they developed such a thing...

Sometimes we do something just for the heck of fun. I'm game for WWWP. I can contribute to adding stuff to the page. But someone expert in setting up a webpage may help.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Alright, at the moment, the idea we have is to put all the members usernames and their disciplines. That is a good start! Maybe we can enlist CEans to list all members in a document file first.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just wanted to update ๐Ÿ˜€

ash- communications engineer

That string is around 7.5cm long with Verdana size "4". I'm not sure what would be the average length.. but i'll select 8cm as an arbitrary figure.

With roughly 10k members, we will make it to around 800m if we put our usernames and discipline (with that font and size).
    ash- communications engineer

At size "7", the string is 20cm long. Multiply that by 10k, you'll get 2km. With every 1000 new members, we can increase the length by 200m. Thats a start, at least ๐Ÿ˜‰

So, any suggestions on what else to make it longer? Anything else we can add?

[EDIT]
    It is more desirable to put user generated content. For example, we can have a story game in which members say three words, while the next member continues with another three. Something like that. Stir that brain of yours, CEans!
  • joe3204
    joe3204
    found this website dedicated to horizantal scrolling. #-Link-Snipped-#
    They have a template available for download. that might be a good place to start.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Oh Good! Joe, I was thinking of having CEans to code an engine that will keep the wwwp growing horizontally.

Btw, thanks for sharing the site URL. I think we can build on this idea. What say?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

The_Big_K
    CEans!

Those who still doubt if World's Widest Web Page is possible - Have a look at this website : - #-Link-Snipped-# !
    The website mentioned here does not work anymore. Anyone game for working on this project as a team? ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can some one tell me tht when one ,makes a connection to the web through a dial up service wht is the sequence of steps tht the computer takes ???with...
I got invited to this new site called techtribe @ www.techtribe.com. It sounds really promising but dont know for sure. Here is an extract from IndiaTech news! Rohit Agarwal is...
Hi all , I have recently faced a new problem, that is if i download any video file(just as .mpeg, .wmv, etc.) from internet, it gets downloaded but i am...
hello everybody This is a nice intiative by you all. I hope this website will b more informative than gud old class lecture. navin
CEans! Today is a special day! Let us celebrate our seniormost CEan's Birthday! Many HaPpy Returns Of The Day, Mr. Bilco! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ -The Big K-