Possible new CE project: CE Linux

I know, I know.. we have so many dead projects. However, I believe that by suggesting projects to do, theres a chance that a segment of CEans will be interested in it πŸ˜€

Some of you may know about Shift Linux, a linux distro developed by the Neowin community.

カラコン16mmζœ¬ε½“γ―15mm? | δΈ€εΉ΄γ‚ˆγ‚Šγƒ―γƒ³γƒ‡γƒΌγŒγŠγ™γ™γ‚οΌ

I picked that as an example because it was a community project, something that CE wants to encourage here.

I was thinking at some point in the future, when we have more active members, resources, time, etc, we can create our own Linux distro. Now, why? Other than having a project we can all be involved in, we can make it distinctly CE. That is, a Crazy Engineers distro developed by engineers FOR engineers. We can develop an optimized platform where engineering tools can be run quickly, etc etc.

I guess some of us may already have an idea about it. So, please post in your comments and suggestions.. also a name for the project! πŸ˜€

[EDIT]

We can also try designing a very lightweight linux distro that can be used in small devices. For example: robots, electronic PDA's, etc. Pretty much like embedded software, I guess.

Replies

• joe3204
    joe3204
    found a website for creating linux from scratch. thought it would be helpful

Welcome to Linux From Scratch!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thanks for the link! πŸ˜€ I'll spend some time looking through the LFS book
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [Side note]

We can customize Ubuntu distribution to have our logo & other changes. Anyone wants to shed more light on this?

[Side Note #2] We need to jump start a small online software development project. I bet we have enough number of CEans who are interested.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    [Side note]

We can customize Ubuntu distribution to have our logo & other changes. Anyone wants to shed more light on this?

[Side Note #2] We need to jump start a small online software development project. I bet we have enough number of CEans who are interested.
    hehe, I guess some asthetic changes would be interesting πŸ˜€ Should be easy to do I believe. CE logos, new set of icons, red themes..

Of course, it would also be nice to do a linux distro from scratch. But thats pretty far ahead in the future. CE Messenger should be done first before we pursue that idea!

Speaking of which, I'm brushing up my C with some advanced functions (that wasnt included in my basic C programming course for engineers) this month, so I'll certainly hop on into the CE Messenger project soon. By the way.. can we name the project CE:IM? Or something else thats short? takes to much time to keep typing "messenger" πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, don't go in the "Pointy Haired Boss" way. We'll work on the name last. Let's call it CE IM right now πŸ˜€

But where are the developers!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The_Big_K
    Hmm, don't go in the "Pointy Haired Boss" way. We'll work on the name last. Let's call it CE IM right now πŸ˜€

But where are the developers!
    haha, you're right! Or else we'll all end up as chicken men!

I'll type up the brief list of objectives and specifications later tonight, and add it to the CE:IM thread so we call can discuss about it.
  • joe3204
    joe3204
    The_Big_K
    [Side note]

if we do customise ubuntu, we should probably use 7.10 and not the latest one i.e. 8.04 as it has bugs as of now...
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Here is some info on Linux from Scratch website:

Why would I want an LFS system?

Many wonder why they should go through the hassle of building a Linux system from scratch when they could just download an existing Linux distribution. However, there are several benefits of building LFS. Consider the following:

LFS teaches people how a Linux system works internally
    Building LFS teaches you about all that makes Linux tick, how things work together and depend on each other. And most importantly, how to customize it to your own tastes and needs.

Building LFS produces a very compact Linux system

When you install a regular distribution, you often end up installing a lot of programs that you would probably never use. They're just sitting there taking up (precious) disk space. It's not hard to get an LFS system installed under 100 MB. Does that still sound like a lot? A few of us have been working on creating a very small embedded LFS system. We installed a system that was just enough to run the Apache web server; total disk space usage was approximately 8 MB. With further stripping, that can be brought down to 5 MB or less. Try that with a regular distribution.

LFS is extremely flexible

Building LFS could be compared to a finished house. LFS will give you the skeleton of a house, but it's up to you to install plumbing, electrical outlets, kitchen, bath, wallpaper, etc. You have the ability to turn it into whatever type of system you need it to be, customized completely for you.

LFS offers you added security

You will compile the entire system from source, thus allowing you to audit everything, if you wish to do so, and apply all the security patches you want or need to apply. You don't have to wait for someone else to provide a new binary package that (hopefully) fixes a security hole. Often, you never truly know whether a security hole is fixed or not unless you do it yourself.
  • joe3204
    joe3204
    i'll get on it as soon as my exams are over. 1 down 4 to go! man i can't wait for sweet freedom!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

For an engineering Linux kind of thing, check out CAELinux (link: #-Link-Snipped-#)

How about we aim for a smaller and more versatile distribution? It'll contain as many engineering software needed, but they don't need to be large programs. There are many small but functional engineering tools available on the net, but they are not easily centralized. Perhaps we can make our distro like a toolbox thing.

Hm.. maybe we can call it CE Toolbox OS? lol
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *another bump*

Ok, lets lessen the scale a bit (or a lot). As biggie had mentioned, we could just modify an existing distro. Ubuntu is good, but I prefer if we target a smaller and more versatile one for specialized purposes.. i.e., engineering.

I think xhx mentioned Knoppix once, which is quite suitable for our purposes. It seems to be easy to modify compared to other small distro's, but I'm not too sure. DSL is also a good consideration.

One immediate application would be an OS for our CE Bot (as an alternative to an RTOS), but we can still use it for general purposes too.

As for LFS, that is definitely a long term goal.. but still a goal nonetheless *grin*

Remember, the proposal is a modification of an existing distro. I recommend a small one, for specialized purposes.

How does that sound? Realistic enough?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Could you please tell what's wrong with RTOS? Wat are the pros and cons of Linux and RTOS with respect to the CE bot?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, nothing particularly wrong with RTOS. In fact, it would be ideal. But, having a small linux distro would provide more flexibility and variety for this OS to be used for other purposes πŸ˜€

xhx would have more comparisons as he has done an analysis already. I don't mind either for the CE Bot, but for the long run, a CE Linux would have a nice potential.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Nothing so wrong with RTOS. RTOS can also be run on "normal" Linux distros, doesnt need to be stand alone RTOS. There was just one free version that I remember, I would need to sort through the net again for that. But you can try too.

Ash, thanks for keeping the CELinux Project alive. I think its ok, we dont reallllyyy need one presently, since any small Linux package is HIGHLY customizable πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ to our Crazyyyy needs.

And CAELinux sounds just right too πŸ˜€, though after sometime we can try to give tutorials on CAELinux Use! and make "CUSTOM" applications if members want a more "CE" feel to their linux distro (any).
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm

Coming to linux,

does the version of linux has to do any thing with the lap top neing used?
    I never realised that.
    I have fedora7 version and delxps failed to read it from the CD drive inspite of boot options set to CDdrive. It was not recognising

I had downlaoded the iso of fedora 10, it has a live CD version on it.
    For some reason I am lost I cant run it.

all said, I want to be part of this project.
    may be we can first list out what chanegs are we firslty intending to inclucate and then decide upon the action items . what say?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    found the LFS book.

Audience

can we start?
    can we plan out?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, LFS will take a while πŸ˜› But if you are willing to learn it, please go ahead! I would also love to.. but I don't have much time to spare πŸ˜”

We'll work with modifying an existing Linux distro first. Btw, do you still have problems installing Linux?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    πŸ˜”

ok let me start I will learn the basics and try to proceed.

yup, i still cant load it!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Is this related to your ISO thread? Did you burn the file properly?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @Mayur:
    i am preparing in my spare time for this project.
    This will go live πŸ˜€ how ever long it might take
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Wow, nice to see some enthusiasm!

I guess we can start off with simple modifications of Ubuntu. We can work on things like the theme and so on.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Ash,

i am 70% learning and 30% brushing my concepts, give me some time say mid fed or so?

i will be ready to start off! πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Durga, hows the progress with Linux? πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ha ha!!!

I have managed to learn up few commands now experimenting on my own lappy with the configurations tuff

I have also found a pretty interesting book LINUX APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT by MICHAEL K JOHNSON

hmm.. by the way why update?? are you interested as well? πŸ˜›

if i get kicked out soon I can spend whole day doing this back in INDIA!! haha !!! 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I'm interested in getting this CE Linux project off the ground πŸ˜› You're already into developing Linux applications? cool!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash
    I'm interested in getting this CE Linux project off the ground πŸ˜› You're already into developing Linux applications? cool!

hey no!! πŸ˜” sorry about dissapointing.. but I am still in learning and understanding phase
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, thats still good progress. Hopefully others can join discussions here too to see what we can come up with. I'm sure there are many Linux users on CE!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Hello everyone.I am too late in this thread but still interested in this project.Can I join this project now?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You're not too late! We are still in the planning stages.

Our first step (or plan) is we modify an existing distro, such as Ubuntu.. and make a CE edition. Once we have gained experience, we can move on to Linux From Scratch.

Do you have any other suggestions on how we can proceed with a CE Linux project?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Modifying ubuntu will be a good choice.We can start off with creating some themes and widgets.Then we can proceed to file browser similar to nautilus.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    nice πŸ˜€ so KGeek you in?

Can we count you in?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    durga
    nice πŸ˜€ so KGeek you in?

Can we count you in?
    Sure.
    What are we going to work on Gnome or KDE ?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Dont forget to post the link here to get the code of the ubuntu version you are going to modify
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    komputergeek
    Sure.
    What are we going to work on Gnome or KDE ?
    πŸ˜” I am so very proficient in LINUX, its just my enthusiasm thats driving on me to learn LINUX .

Could you explain the difference?I would be happy to know πŸ˜€
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Both GNOME and KDE are desktop environments which work on top of linux kernel.
    There are some other desktop environments like XFCE, ION , FluxBox,ROX etc but these two are widely used.
    For developing applications,GNOME mainly uses GTK+ and KDE uses Qt toolkit.

Ref:
    Gnome
    Kde#-Link-Snipped-#
    Comparison Of X Window System Desktop Environments
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Just came to know about 'Reconstructor'.It is a tool in ubuntu with which we can customize iso image of ubuntu.In this we can customize boot screen,packages included,repositories etc.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Thanks for the explainationπŸ˜€

I think its a tool to customised changes and save it to a CD,I mean it's a type of CD burner which burns your entire OS to a CD.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    komputergeek, that is a great find! This is exactly what we need to modify ubuntu with ease πŸ˜€

I suppose we'll start of with modifying GNOME then, yeah? What we need is, some new designs for the boot screen, wallpaper, icons etc.

I'm glad to see this project back in gear now. So far, those that have shown interests are:
    - Durga
    - komputergeek
    - ms_cs

Can we formalize the team as that for now? Anyone else interested to join?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Another interesting thing : GFX Grub
    How to : Install GFX Grub In Ubuntu. | Tux Enclave.
    We just need to modify 2 images to make new theme.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    komputergeek
    Another interesting thing : GFX Grub
    How to : Install GFX Grub In Ubuntu. | Tux Enclave.
    We just need to modify 2 images to make new theme.
    Hey was wondering If you can act as Team Lead for this project?!
    You obviously know more than what all other know πŸ˜€
    what say.

We can then start off with requirements, planning and then implementation
    let us know your thoughts!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Thank you for good words durga.But I have zero experience in doing such big projects.I think I am not a good person for this role.Let someone else take this role or better you take it.I will definitely work with full dedication.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    see dont under estimate your self, everythign has a first time πŸ˜€ I undertsand how it feels for being a first timer but still ..this would be a hands on for you. so don't worry.
    I was emphasing on your leadership as you know more and you can decide which way to head after each stage.

and me being one, haha! I will take inputs from you in taht case!😁 so dual work!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Okay let's start.Will see what happens.Who all are interested in this project?

@ashπŸ˜›lease formalize the team now.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    OK

I have just sent PM to all who are invovled in this thread.Let's wait how mnay of them will turn up and then decide about the schdeule

P.S: you might as well notice 'befriend' requests coming to your porfiles 😁
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    I have some points to discuss about :

1.What are your ideas about final CE Linux.Should it be a complete new Linux including all new applications (in that case it will be a very big project) or a customized version of some other Linux.(We have discussed this point earlier but we should finalize it now)

2.If we decide to modify existing version of ubuntu,we can create a project similar to Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.Take a look at Ultimate Edition - Re-defining the Ultimate operating system…. Ultimate edition is a modified version of ubuntu.In that they haven't modified the packages.They have added their own themes,wallpapers etc and a lot of packages from other sources in ubuntu to make it better.So we can do a similar project with some additional features.In addition to the applications included in Ultimate Edition we can develop and add our own applications.In this case we can have smaller teams to develop these applications.Even we can integrate some other CE projects like CE-IM in this version of linux.(In this case this project will be a modular and much easy to handle)

3.If we decide to do this then our first aim will be to focus on appearance.We need to focus on 4 things:
    Themes
    Wallpapers
    Icons
    BootScreen

After finishing with this we can proceed to developing applications.

Correct me if I am wrong.Add your points to this.
    I request you all to think about about it and do reply soon.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I vote for option 2.
    Let's see what othera are for/

and KG, I want to add that I will be able to work on it mostly during week ends and mostly during Easter vacation( if we start off by then).
    what are your convinient timings.?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Currently I can work for around 1-2 hour everyday.But after my exams (in next month), I will be free to work any time.
  • ami
    ami
    hey even i am interested in this project.. though my experience is close to nil in this but linux is something that excites me.So would like to be a part of this.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    sure!
    The team is currently
    Komputergeek
    Durga

Hopefully ask joins

and Ami

We have not yet decided on the kick off date, as I am into aother project going on here as well. Will keep you posted.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    I was thinking to modify this image and add CE name and logo to this for use in CE-Linux.

[​IMG]

I am not much good in image editing.Someone please help me in doing that.I have larger size image of this with me but faced some problems while uploading it.I can mail that image.Just let me know if anyone interested.For this there is no need to have knowledge of Linux.So anyone can do this.
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    We can use wallpapers from " #-Link-Snipped-# " also.For that we need to take permission from Biggie 😁
    What say Biggie?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    so bad! I want to do this so badly. πŸ˜” give me some time komputergeek, its just that I have uni work as well ,, OK, if you want to proceed continue! but I would really prefer to work on this!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Send the image to me. I'll see what I can do about it. I have some hands on experience in photoshop, but I too am not very well versed in image editing.

send it to
    ramkumar (at) crazyengineers (dot) net.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    And by the way, just noticed. Durga, your new avatar is good. Is there any message behind the avatar??
    Sorry for being off topic here!!
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Interesting developments!

Ok some suggestions for the OBJECTIVEs of this project:

1. Customizable: for us engineers, according to each ones taste.

2. Portable (!): To be able to take it on any PC and boot it through a USB port. This can already be done with a few distros like DSL (Damn Small Linux). I hope you have a look toward DSL. We can modify it to fit our needs. Portability can be soo useful for us engineers as we can use it in our office/college/home PC, some relatives PC that has a problem and have called us to fix it πŸ˜€

3. A Learning Platform: To familiarize people with linux customization.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    * off topic*

@SS: juts an awareness program 😁 to say how beautiful other creatures are on earth!!

@varun: your blog's too good! πŸ˜€
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I love Linux and had used this awesome OS a few years back. since last 2 years I do not have hands on on Linux.

I am tracking this thread since long back, but as I can not practiaccly help in this project (due to time crunch and no access to Linux at home) I was refraining my self to post in this thread.

Thread/project owner do let me know if I could be of any help (Again I am afraid to say not of any practiacal use until its a do or die situation for project.)

-CrazyBoy
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    crazyboy
    I love Linux and had used this awesome OS a few years back. since last 2 years I do not have hands on on Linux.

I am tracking this thread since long back, but as I can not practiaccly help in this project (due to time crunch and no access to Linux at home) I was refraining my self to post in this thread.

Thread/project owner do let me know if I could be of any help (Again I am afraid to say not of any practiacal use until its a do or die situation for project.)

-CrazyBoy
    Sorry for late reply.
    As we have discussed earlier,in first step we will create themes,wallpapers,icons etc.For that it's not necessary to have knowledge of Linux.So there are many things you can d😨nce we are done with that we all can learn other things in deep as required.
    By the way why don't you use Linux at home?If you don't want to install it,you can use live CD of ubuntu.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Again, its good to see continuous interest in this πŸ˜€ The defacto leader of this project is Durga, but she has commitments with the higher priority project CE Messenger at the moment.

I will try to spend some time to plan list of things to do, collecting all your suggestions, by this weekend.

For those still interested, it is not too late to join this project! πŸ˜€

By the way, please sign up for a crazyengineers.net account so we can compile work at a Google Site page. See here for details:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ash!

thanks for that πŸ˜€
    I felt Komputergeek was more techincally sound than what I was 😁, so he will be leading us...and i again say, i need a bit more time πŸ˜€ just stuck with mid terms and projects
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    this project is going to be derived from ubuntu?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    OOPS

That was an absent minded post. Apologies..

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    πŸ˜•
    CB I did not understand what you have just said?
    by the way whats a CE Wrapper?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    durga
    πŸ˜•
    by the way whats a CE Wrapper?
    I guess it's all about front end.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    @CE-Linux Developers:

Why don't we have own CE kernal?πŸ˜‰ I know , It is much complicated task...But It is Possible only guys,We can do it,,, If you are developing such one means I wanna develop a Process scheduling part guys.But It will take much time...May be we can do it in side by side of CE-Linux.

If we create such , this may be the India's First OS.Am I right s?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    ms_cs
    @CE-Linux Developers:

Why don't we have own CE kernal?πŸ˜‰ I know , It is much complicated task...But Possible only guys,We can do it,,, If you are developing such one means I wanna develop a Process scheduling part guys.But It will take much time...May be we can do it in side by side of CE-Linux.

If we create such , this may be the India's First OS.Am I right s?
    Yes we can do that but only after we start with this project.Because after we start doing this project we will come to know what problems we face and what features we are going to add to this project.Accordingly we can write kernel.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Is it possible to have the kernal which is not derived from unix..Because all linux are derived from unix...even solarsis is also derived from unix...
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    ms_cs
    Is it possible to have the kernal which is not derived from unix..Because all linux are derived from unix...even solarsis is also derived from unix...
    Are you asking about creating new kernel or modifying existing one (very basic kernel) ?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    How about creating a new kernal πŸ˜‰
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Then what's the use of open source?Why you want to create new kernel?We can use vanilla kernel to create our own.Vanilla kernel is a basic kernel from which all other distros create their own kernel.It's not a big but it has only basic functioning.We can optimize it and add new features to it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey

so we shall kick off? are you done with exams?
    i am just done with a mid term.

come on this week end, we will see what needs and what can be done πŸ˜€

let's not simplify it or complicate it any further, start from here ans move on and let's see what hard rocks we are going to hit to.

if a separate kernel needs to be done, then boy i strongly believe it's a new project. don't bring it into this one and we need to finalize the scope as well.

Sunday 1 pm IST
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    And how are we going to discuss?In this thread or in conference?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    GTALK dude!
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    Can we make it at around 2 or 3pm.Having exam on sunday morning.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Did a discussion materialize between you two?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    *KG and durga and AMI* done with exams

KG and I spoke yesterday. still need to have a intro with AMI as she being KG friend.

as of now we have settled here:

STAGE 1: CE LINUX GUI STUFF involves wall papers and themes

STAGE 2: KERNEL stuff .
    Includes BOOT UP SCREEN and interface for package selections

DATES:

Be conversant with file systems by 15 july.

KG, add in ok?
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    durga
    DATES:

Be conversant with file systems by 15 july.

KG, add in ok?

File system,boot process and some comands too.Is that okay for u and all others who are interested?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep! πŸ˜€

komputergeek, will Ami be able to join us on CE anytime soon?
  • ami
    ami
    hey durga sorry was not able to get back to you.. busy with exams and stuff.. newys kg has been keepin me updated regarding the project. consider me in.. will be able to come online next on 2nd of july as right now im out of town.

Sorry for the delay..
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    This is regarding "package selection interface" in stage 2.

To truly customise ubuntu to CE Linux, you'll need to customise Ubiquity (Ubiquity - Ubuntu Wiki). To do this, expertise is required in POSIX shell scripting, Python and to some extent C. Here is a link explaining this in some detail:

Installer/Development - Ubuntu Wiki

I am not conversant with programming in afore mentioned languages (except c maybe), but I will go through the development wiki, etc for what changes we need to make to the source code. This will ensure that the programmer is spared the trouble of going through the entire internet!! β˜•

Link to ubiquity source code on launchpad:

~ubuntu-installer/ubiquity/trunk : files for revision 6642
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Sample bootscreen/wallpaper..lemme know what you think!!

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    mad_scientist
    Sample bootscreen/wallpaper..lemme know what you think!!

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Honest opinion, didn't like it but never mind. πŸ˜€ May be your next one can be too good or may be other CEans like it.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    shalini_goel14
    Honest opinion, didn't like it but never mind. πŸ˜€ May be your next one can be too good or may be other CEans like it.
    😁 graphic designing is not really my cup of tea..i was just trying my hand at gimp!!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    mad_scientist
    😁 graphic designing is not really my cup of tea..i was just trying my hand at gimp!!
    Ha ha ! So you lie in my category only πŸ˜‰
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    hehe...

If we are going to use ubuntu, this is probably what we need

1. #-Link-Snipped-#
    2. LiveCDCustomization - Community Help Wiki
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Also we should finalise, which version of ubuntu we are going to use. I don't recomment 9.04 as some people (with intel onboard graphics) have problems enabling the desktop effects..also there might be other bugs not fixed as of now. We can go in for 8.10 or 8.04 LTS
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I am currently on 8.10.
    I thought i will upgrade it to 9.04.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    durga
    I am currently on 8.10.
    I thought i will upgrade it to 9.04.
    I would recommend you go through the release notes to make sure that there are no problems associated with your hardware..

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    9.04 has some bugs on intel machines.8.10 also has some bugs.I would recommend 8.04.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I second using 8.04 as the base. There is one more advantage, Canonical will support it through 2011. So security updates/bug fixes will be available for a longer time as compared to even 9.04
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    oh cool.
    I previously did a blunder by not partioning my drive thus landed up with both windows and linux on same drive. I will partition my drive today and then put in 8.04 .
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Ubuntu's partition manager is pretty good, you can partition your disk using GParted available on the Live CD/during installation
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Are we going to make CE Linux engineer/scientist friendly?? If so, we should probably make some engineering/scientific software available by default, like openfoam(CFD), opencascade(for CAD), gnu octave(something like matlab I think), etc. subject to space constraints!!

There is already a list of free engg software #-Link-Snipped-# (compiled by ash). We can pick those software which have linux versions available..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Maddie, you sound correct. So in what stage do you think it will fit in? Stage 3?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    It can go into stage 2 with the package selection, but the software we include should be helpful to the engineers/scientists in general and not be limited to mechanical/electrical/computer engineers..

I think we will need a discussion to decide exactly what software we need. we can have a sub-stage for this..

Stage 2-a maybe??
    [EDIT]
    Or stage 3 as you said
  • komputergeek
    komputergeek
    mad_scientist
    It can go into stage 2 with the package selection, but the software we include should be helpful to the engineers/scientists in general and not be limited to mechanical/electrical/computer engineers..

I think we will need a discussion to decide exactly what software we need. we can have a sub-stage for this..

Stage 2-a maybe??
    [EDIT]
    Or stage 3 as you said
    For that lets start a wishlist.There everyone will post what packages they would like to have and why.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Hi Mods,

Can this thread be closed as we have PART 2 thread which will be a continuation?
    Two trheads being active just leads to confusion
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yep, my bad. Didn't know Linux Part 2 wasnt stickied yet πŸ˜›

Thank you to everyone who contributed! Please continue discussions here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys our posting problem is increasing should have to do something.like making it compulsory to read rules first before they post their introduction.any other suggestion. here is another having a...
Hello All, I would like to host my site, I have seen many hosting review sites.....I have noticed that thehost-review giving in depth knowledge on hosting companies and hence it...
CEans! We have grown up while studying the big world books or Britannica encyclopaedias. Later we also purchased the Encarta. But had we ever imagined that the world will be...
πŸ˜• Hi to all engineers,i m puja studing in 4rth sem and i want to participate in a national level paper presentation on the topic volts n chips....but my problem...
😁Happy Birthday Friendster7😁 May your dreams come true and you make the world a better place to live ! Keep Rocking! Party / Birthday Bumps Due ! 😁 ​