CE Project: CE Bot [PART FOUR]

This is the Fourth Part of CE Bot (CE R3) discussion. We have changed the design as discussed in the CE Delhi Meet (#-Link-Snipped-#)

New Design:

2 Wheeled robot with Center of Gravity at the wheel axis (in actuality, a bit lower than the axis).

Most of the sensors discussed earlier will be used here, but must be as simple as possible.

Read this to get an idea:[ #-Link-Snipped-# ]

An Example Image:

[โ€‹IMG]

More information will be added in time.

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    My poor 6 wheel idea.. *sniff* I feel betrayed ๐Ÿ˜›

You fellas better commit to this design and not back out, or else I'll seriously start roasting your butts!

Oh well, I'll still focus on the communications and help with the embedded stuff. Are we going to use the good old PIC16F series uC?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Materials needed for Mockup model (Prototype):

Some ideas have been taken from the pdf file given above.

Wheel:

1. 4 scrap CD's.
    2. Old foam, or thermacoal. Thickness: 1 inch

Body:

1. A standard PVC pipe of usable diameter, or custom fabricated body of strong flexible plastic.

Add more...
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Im sorry to disappoint you again Ash, but if I get to stay in Delhi for more time, I might prefer ATMEL, cuz I always wanted to try them out. [๐Ÿ˜€] Since, we will be keeping some parts personally to ourselves after completion of the project. I cannot afford a programmer, or learn PIC and then keep it, when I was always biased towards ATMEL (dont ask why, I think I already told you before, its the same thing as Intel and AMD).

But we will have bigger projects later when we are sure where to have a proper destination to build physical projects and the funding stuff etc etc.

Read the PDF. Its a simple design, we might improve on it.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    PIC programmers can be built for around $30 or less. The expensive ones are if you want a ready made one from Microchip. It is certainly your choice on what uC you prefer personally. But we'll need to stick to ONE for this project. So I think its better to step away from personal preferences and use one that will be beneficial to this project. If all evidence points that an Atmel chip is the most easiest to procure and work on for you guys, then so be it.

So, can you guys redefine the whole objectives for CE Bot? Are we ditching the concept of modularity, rough terrain, etc etc...
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Okay. . . no more 6 wheel design. . . I worked so hard on those, too.

@ash:
    What can I help you with in the design?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    The objectives of the project remain the same. No changes in that except the design.

@KJ: I am sorry we had to ditch the 6 wheel concept. I know you worked hard on its design. Can you make any based on the image in the first post of this thread.
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    I see no body has a programmer. Seriously...and u are all techs.
    well. sorry to disappoint u, but I have one. A very good one indeed, can program any thing, well almost all PIC's I'll say. If you like I'll shoot the specs for u.
    But the best part is I'm still in the learning stage...kekeke.
    Still we can work if u can get me the hex files or what ever files is used and I think I can get my hands on any PIC, cause I am going to place an order to my chinese babe for some PIC's, shoot the number U want, I can get it for no biggie.
    Cheers
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    raj87verma88
    The objectives of the project remain the same. No changes in that except the design.

@KJ: I am sorry we had to ditch the 6 wheel concept. I know you worked hard on its design. Can you make any based on the image in the first post of this thread.
    I think I might be able to do that. Just two wheels?
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hey guys. I will be out of Town for 2 months (again). Till then keep it alive.

And Rifaa, we will be using Atmel AT- controllers, not PIC. Dont ask why. But if you are in Delhi and have a PIC programmer then we will surely do it on PIC. If you are not in Delhi, then we will stick with Atmel uC'.

@KJ: Yes, just 2 wheels, have a look at the PDF link I gave above, and the image for reference.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Rifaa
    I see no body has a programmer.
    I've got a programmer.

Ok, so hows the progress with everyone else? Hows the physical construction?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Hey Guys may i know the Project overview and i also want to join this project if there is vacancy...
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Ash said (bump)
    I've got a programmer.
    :hehehe::hehehe: my bad
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    i dont know that what you are using for Communication I suggest you to use.. GSM/GPRS modem..

SIM548... by SIMCOM
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    If we are still using a camera, we will need to transmit video. I did test out some Wifi links, but now that we are not using a laptop.. probably a high bandwidth transceiver would do.

Honestly, we'll probably need to redefine the objectives. How much things can we fit on the two wheel robot anyway? Those from the Delhi meet, did you guys rethink the mission objectives?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Objectives
    This Bot will just be a Surveillance Bot for public use, so we don't need many things on it.
    It has to be :-
    1) Easy to use and handle
    2) Able to handle some range of terrain
    3) Cheap

Me and a couple of other guys will start designing a base model after my exams are over. That will be, by the end of this month.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    if we want to track that Bot's position then we have to use GPRS modem.... right now used in Vehical Tracking System
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    godfather
    if we want to track that Bot's position then we have to use GPRS modem.... right now used in Vehical Tracking System
    Why not use A-GPS straight away? More accurate than GPRS or GSM triangulation alone anyway.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    yes we can i think SIM548 has GPS facility already
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    GPRS is a no in this bot. We will not be tracking it's position. This will be a simple one.
    GPRS can be an option for the second generation CE-Bot.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @ RAJ no problem..

objectives are redefined?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Objectives were not redefined, rather defined during the Delhi Meet. We were not focused on one thing earlier, but are now. As I have said, the first CE-Bot would be simple, cheap, easy to use and assemble.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @ RAJ.. i will be very thankful to you if you post the Objectives again or give me its link. where i can find the Status of the Project.

Thanks a lot
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    The project is again on a small temporary slowdown, not hold. That is because I am not in India at this time. But at the same time @Raj is working on mechanical details.

To see project a bit more clearly, have a look at this page: ( #-Link-Snipped-# ). It is not updated with the new design concept that is shown on the first page. (Those are the main changed, which are posted on the first page. The website above is like a knowledge database, which has to be updated.)

I will be back in India, in 1.5 months (about mid June or end). Till then I would suggest everyone interested goes through the PDF file I have shown in the first post.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Guys, please update the first post of this thread with the list of objectives, thanks ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thanks Varun for the link
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    hello..? *echoes in the empty valley*

๐Ÿ˜›

I was planning to do a biped robot project with another friend, some what of a reimagining of our old basketball biped we did for the IRO 2008 competition. I thinking whether to make it as another CE project, or leave it out to avoid conflict of interests.

We are most likely be using a PIC like before.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Let us first complete this one and then move on to other.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

Patty, your on holiday now right? Are you able to spare time with the CE bot? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I am. I sent a sms to xhx but it came back undelivered. Guess he is in Dubai at the moment, he told me he has to complete some formalities their.
    My friend is out of station and will come back by the end of this week. I will in the mean while try to figure out, how to make the initial prototype.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Quick to do reminder for our initial phase:

1. Finalization of objectives
    2. Body design on CAD / prototyping
    3. Circuit design
  • docel
    docel
    Well guys!!!

Cant resist commenting, but what happened to the CE bot???
    A lot of words but no action.......
    Is there anything between the lines here??

Agreed that everyone's busy, but not THAT busy that a simple Robot cannot be fabricated in so many months? Last i remember is offering a lot of help for these projects, but haven't seen it being spooled in.

#-Link-Snipped-# - more than a year....!#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

Is there something I'm missing here.....? what IS the problem?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ๐Ÿ˜” Docel, we seriously lack leaders who can take the project forward.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Seeing you here after a long time Docel. Welcome back.

Since the CE-Bot project was Varun's idea therefore we decided to fabricate it in Delhi. For this purpose we planned a CE-Meet in Delhi. Varun, me and 2 of my college mates (non CEans) were the only people present at that meet. We planned to start the project, but some hurdles came in between. Varun had to go to UAE for nearly 2 months and then he had to undergo a Hip Surgery and it will take some time before he is fully recovered. My two friends have refused to work on the bot (they say they don't have time) and that leaves me. I hardly have any experience with robots except those simple competition ones (small line followers...etc)

Unless and untill we complete this project, we will not take up Robotic Arm or the Alarm Clock or any other project for that matter. And if we start discussions here, they tend to go on forever, so I guess, we just have to wait for the final outcome now.
  • docel
    docel
    Well, nice to see you guys too Raj!!
    I just kept off because I didn't see any progress anywhere and I felt it was wrong to veer off at tangents with the CEBot idea.

Now, I dont see the need for a large group for this project. Actually 1 person can do this job easily.

Yes, people always get carried away with ideas ( most of which comes off the Internet) but implementation needs a practical hands-on effort. Besides, big ideas cost big money ! ๐Ÿ˜”

Its the reason I have always said: Keep It Simple!! The enhancements can come later on. ...kind of add-on to the existing thing.

Your present idea of the Rollie can be done in a day, if anyone wants to make it and sticks with me.

Biggy- I had offered to lead by the horns........ ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, personally, what I think is more important is how we collaborate on doing the project together. As Docel said, its easy to do this kind of robot yourself and stick a "Made by CE" label on it, but that would not serve anything really.

Its the experience in teamwork that we can carry forward to other projects ๐Ÿ˜€
  • docel
    docel
    ash
    Hm, personally, what I think is more important is how we collaborate on doing the project together. As Docel said, its easy to do this kind of robot yourself and stick a "Made by CE" label on it, but that would not serve anything really.

Its the experience in teamwork that we can carry forward to other projects ๐Ÿ˜€
    .....or NOT at all!!
    Think again Ash. You could wind up doing nothing this way. And why the "Made by CE" label?
    Collaborations work only when there is a common mission and diverse talent at the same place at the same time. It can only happen in a private personal project. This can never happen in a public Forum where people are far and wide of each other and have never even met each other.

The objective of a public Forum should NOT be limited for the benefit of a handful but to the public in general. Today, tomorrow and the next year. Otherwise there is no need for a Forum, is there?

What I have been suggesting is to start something simple that EACH one of you can do, whereever you are, with the remote collaboration with others in the group. That way there will be several 1-man experts with an admixture of theoretical knowledge along with some hands-on, on the table object.

Now let me put it this way: I start a thread for this project on the Forum. I'll make sure that many single individuals all over the place, IF they have the inclination time and interest, will make this robot. At the end of a given time, there will be several robots in various degrees of construction- ready and rolling.
    THEN the thing is ready for further enhancements. Because, the makers will have the confidence and the pride of making something with their bare hands. it will act as a booster dose and then their imagination can fly where it wants. It will also be the time when teams & groups will form, based on what they like and can do. Or it can just stop right there and no problem - something was made!!
    It will also be a public open source record, ready for some one else to follow and implement as and when he or she sees the thread.

Now THATs engineering all about, isn't it?

We crib that there is no one to help. When there is someone, we crib there's no time. when there's time we crib no money.When i have money we crib my friend isnt here. When all of it is there we crib "what for ? Ive finished engineering" !!

Its time to forget all this and get down to the job. We must break off from this state of interdependence on others. Its time we became 1 man wonders; we can only do this when we stop depending on others.

Just let me know, if any one is interested and game for it !!
    - post your acceptance on this Forum -

THEN, we'll take Biggie's (permission) blessings and start!!
    โ€‹
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    No argument.. thats one way of doing it, I suppose ๐Ÿ˜€

But, I'm pretty sure collaboration can work in different places at different times. Thats how the original CE Bot kicked off in the first place.. for example, with me being in Malaysia, xheavenlyx being in UAE, then Tyler coming in from the US with her concept designs. You've mentioned remote collaborations yourself ๐Ÿ˜€

Of course, since CE Bot is changed to something else now, my point becomes moot.. hence no argument with your suggestions *grin*
  • CEMember
    CEMember
    Hello everyone, [Just could not resist in posting after seeing the way people think here ๐Ÿ˜ ]

*With due respect to everyone's way of working and efforts in this project or other mentioned projects-my 2 cents on this[Ignore it or take it your wish] *

Sir, may be you took initiative at wrong time when CE was not that famous and people were not enough active or may be were too young to work with super experienced seniors like YOU. This could be the reason your initiative kind of flopped and lost in some old threads but it was YOU who left the hope. Can we know the reasons for this?

docel
    The objective of a public Forum should NOT be limited for the benefit of a handful but to the public in general.
    Very true said- It should be helpful to general public but can anyone tell me who stands in that general public? What is done for that public? Everyone is singing his/her own songs but was that public ever asked what you want?

I tell you what the public wanted- "They say I am blah blah engineer,I don't know how to proceed and being in different place[Not in Bangalore -where people are ready to help], I can't give my inputs for this? By the way can I ask why this project is being done?"

This was the only thing I am sure majority of the person in public side have but what happens where people like YOU who have vast collections of information stored in their brains say "See, I don't have much time, I don't have time to spend in teaching you each and every stuff. Of course, spoon-feeding is really very bad but teachers should be there - "Who can open the doors and help others to enetr into it themselves" If you need help just come in my lab. I will help you surely completely in making that project.

Now Docel Sir, you being almost double of our ages - "Did you ever tried to go the way public wants to go or can benefit?" You being almost an expert in Robotics field as you own your own Robotics Lab and I have seen you personally helping students people in making projects but I just want to say one thing, if you would have taken initiative [of course it requires your valuable time and efforts and that too with no returns] like being taken by CEan SilverScorpion or many others, you would have definitely made almost every member of CE a robotic engineer? But can I know the reason why you want to go for only 1 person when at one point you are saying to help public?

Grant excuse if any thing offending but thing is not pointing fingers at each other for work, thing is in making every one like YOU -[at present a Robotic Engineer] so that you can have so many different types of robots.Think every CEan have its own robot customized according to his/her needs as well as funding it himself/herself. May be someday you can own a factory of Robots like this one day where every CEan is selling his/her own made Robots ?

Please read this-
    "There was some important work that had to be done, and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry because of this, since it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody understood that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended with Everybody blaming Somebody as Nobody did what Anybody could have done."
    Thanks for patient reading. ! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • docel
    docel
    CEMember
    Hello everyone, [Just could not resist in posting after seeing the way people think here ๐Ÿ˜ ]
    CEMember:

Thank you for the lengthy reply to my post.
    After careful reading of it several times, I still cant make out the head nor tail of what you want to say. You seem to have written the post with heavy feelings without editing it, so what you had in mind is missing.

The jist of it as I understand is that you are saying the same things that I have to say or have already said and believe in, so is there anything else that you wanted to highlight but missed out?

There is a misinterpretation by you: I want every single individual to learn and do things independently without relying on others. You have mistaken that to mean 1 person.

I wait for your clarification- it does matter to put things right in the proper way.
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Hello everyone,

I find that you plan to use an Accelerometer for calculating the change of velocity of the bot. If you plan to use Accelorometer ICs, I'm not too sure whether you will find one in India. The most popular ones ADXL (Analog devices) and the MEMSIC(Microchip) series of Accelerometers are not available in the retail market in India. I had inquired about ADXL 330 3-axis Accelerometer in Kolkata. The dealer said he could get me one, but it would cost me Rs1000 a pc. So I had to dump the idea. However some of the MEMSICs are cheaper at around Rs 250 a pc from Farnell India.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Nice tip, silenthorde. First time I've heard about MEMSIC, I should try them out ๐Ÿ˜€ Been using the ADXL series mostly for my projects.

If you could get it for that amount at Farnell India, I can hazard a guess that you can get it much cheaper in at a local shop.

Speaking of costs of components, we are trying to get the CE Fund thing going so that you wont have to dig in too deep in your pockets to get the components for the CE Bot. I know as students, we don't really have much of a luxury to get the nice stuff ๐Ÿ˜›
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    MEMSICs come in PLCC packaging. How difficult would it be to use such a component? I have been told that the PLCC to DIP adapter is costlier than the MEMSIC IC itself. Is it difficult to solder a PLCC component onto a veroboard or PCB? if yes, then this might be a potential problem. However ADXL comes with SM packaging. Not a big deal i'd guess.

@ASH: Farnell prices are way above the retail market prices. I do not trust them with prices. But their stock of components makes them a noticeable force.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    It would be quite hard to solder a PLCC, though not impossible for students. Just need some extra skill and tools. Though, definitely can't solder on a veroboard. You'll need to make the PLCC pads on a PCB.

Do we really need a 3-axis? Won't a 2-axis suffice to detect the tilt?
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Ah. . . what's been happening in the world of CE bot? I've missed this! Can someone give me a brief synopsis of what has happened?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Ah. . . what's been happening in the world of CE bot? I've missed this! Can someone give me a brief synopsis of what has happened?
    Its been put on hold for now ๐Ÿ˜€

I think we are still sticking to the two wheel design as shown in the first post. Maybe need a couple of concept designs and also list out the components we need.

Will wait till xhx comes back before knowing exactly what to do.
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    ash
    Its been put on hold for now ๐Ÿ˜€

I think we are still sticking to the two wheel design as shown in the first post. Maybe need a couple of concept designs and also list out the components we need.

Will wait till xhx comes back before knowing exactly what to do.
    Okay! ^ _ ^ I'm glad to be back!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeap, its good to have you back!

Got any new designs you'd like to show on CE? Posters or wallpapers? ๐Ÿ˜€

I recently got a graphic tablet, and also downloaded Autocad SketchBook Pro (its free for students). Pretty neat software.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

2010 already! Almost 2 years since we started the CE Bot initiative. Time files indeed ๐Ÿ˜›

Any updates regarding the mechanical parts?

[EDIT]
    Wow, just read the archives of the CE Bot posts . We had a lot of ideas but no focus yet. I recommend you guys to read on the old parts if you have time, its quite an interesting (and nostalgic) look at our CE Bot progress.

Part One: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Part Two: #-Link-Snipped-#
    Part Three: #-Link-Snipped-#

I would like to compile all the ideas we had into a comprehensive report, though I would really like assistance for that from you guys ๐Ÿ˜€ Despite us not fabricating anything physical yet, I think the research and discussions we had were great and a testament to the collaboration we have between different types of engineers from all over the world. Don't believe me? Do check out all the parts!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

I came across this RC chassis:

[โ€‹IMG]

More info here: #-Link-Snipped-#

Mechanical guys, can you take a look through it?

I think this might be a good platform to base on for the rough terrain stuff. Not cheap (around $240), but the build is quite good.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*

I have posted this vid on CE before, but I think its relevant to what CE Bot was trying to achieve:

Here's to hoping there still some interest to continue this project here ๐Ÿ˜› Part 5 anyone???
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *bump*
    My customary bump of the project. Celebrating nearly 8 years of what could have been an awesome project ๐Ÿ˜

I think with the advent of Raspi & cheap drone tech, would be probably better to do a quadrotor straight away.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We are students from IIT,Madras working on a international contest, Robocon. We want nearly the following specifications for motors. 1) Speed : 250 - 300 rpm 2) Running Torque :...
Love the title "Crazy Engineers" I'm from Ontario, Canada I'm not a true engineer but I do have a diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technician - Industrial Mechanic and am looking...
I'm looking to go back to school for Electronics Engineering Technician and wanted some feed back on this career. I'd like to know for starts what you do, whether it's...
how bikes are starting in gear like yamaha,cbz etc but low weight bikes not like splendor,passion not?
I am a Telecommunication engineer and I have made a energy haravesting circuit for my 4th year project. The problem which i have is that the circuit is not capable...