CE Messenger

Continued from post Reincarnation of CE im: #-Link-Snipped-#

Well, instead of asking K for a machine, we can do it ourselves. All we need is a machine with broad band connection (for public IP) even a 128 kbps connection is pretty much sufficient. And i believe that most of might be having such a connection.

Now as for development, I gave it a thought and decided that we'll only work on it either on weekends or if its possible for some, may be an hr daily. So we really don't need a 24x7 availability. We can define a daily window, eg. on weekdays a 2 hr window should be good enuf, and on either of weekends we can give a 6-7 hr window πŸ˜€

I'll also suggest to keep an additional server so that if due to some reasons (system crash etc..) we can use the other one.

Now, although we call it a "server" the resource requirements are pretty less. I expect that ev'1 will be having atleast 512 MB RAM. This is sufficient for use πŸ˜€

We can add a few more guidelines for the server usage, to prevent wastage of electricity πŸ˜€

So now the question is narrowed down to, who can share their machines for such purpose?
I really expect that moderators can help us finding such resources πŸ˜€

In gist following are the requirements that will be covered :

-- Authentication
-- CEan messaging

In our first draft, we'll provide these features in a CLI (Command Line interface)

Replies

• MaRo
    MaRo
    Why not it be on the same server hosting CE?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Maro Leave it, may be CE server is already overloaded. πŸ˜›

@xero My system is already ready for all the requirements that your server need. I am not sure if it will be ok with you. πŸ˜•
    Back up -you can make your system, if possible?

Rare cases -server can be down. I guess it will not be a problem?

One more point I would like to add - The server access will be given only to people involved in project and trusted people. What say? πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    MaRo
    Why not it be on the same server hosting CE?
    We need the details of authentication of the CE for our firefox plugin project.Shall we know tht
  • xero
    xero
    Shalini: Thanks a lot, however I was wondering why wouldn't it be ok with me πŸ˜•

Unfortunately, I can't make my system either a server or a backup, as i don't have broadband connection πŸ˜”

We'll lay down a few guidelines for the users once we are done with the setup.

Following will be the list of installables required :

1. XAMPP from apache friends (it has got mysql server with a web ui interface, i'll brief on it later)
    2. Jabber/XMPP based IM server Openfire(previously known as Wildfire) server
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    xero
    Unfortunately, I can't make my system either a server or a backup, as i don't have broadband connection πŸ˜”
    Not a problem. Tell me what all steps I need to do to set up everything in my system ok. πŸ˜€

Maro- You are also with us Right? πŸ˜€

One more important thing in April-Server will not be available. Will it be ok?
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I'm ok with it, I suggested CE server because as Xero said the IM doesn't need much.
  • xero
    xero
    Well if ur machine is unavailable on April, then won't be good.
    So I guess we are back to step 1, we are still hunting a machine for serverβ˜• !!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good start πŸ˜€ (except for missing server)

Xero, can you add a short intro in your first post regarding what the aim for this Messenger will be? It'll benefit new or out of touch members quickly grasp what is going on. Maybe also add what you and the team will intend to do.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey xero, its only a month, you people can manage I guess without a server or do any other work by that time. Anyways I have one more point to say about server- See if I am also a part of this project and I am working on client side part then will I be able to work on my machine(which will act as a server also) ?

Please any solutions? Can any of the mods(except Maro) provide their machine as a server? If not possible, then we guys will have to manage with my system(1 month completely down) server πŸ˜” . What say?
  • gohm
    gohm
    I am guessing my laptop would not be able to handle it?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Any laptop or computer should be good. The issue is whether you are able to connect it to the net whenever Xero needs access to it πŸ˜‰

Im afraid I can't help yet, my home server will only be ready after two months πŸ˜” My current computer usage at home is not consistent, as I usually stay at the hostel at my uni.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    The issue is whether you are able to connect it to the net whenever Xero needs access to it πŸ˜‰
    Yes, my laptop can do so but it cannot be connected to net for around a month but as far as I know, it should not matter much, 1 month they can manage rather than getting nothing.

Lets wait for xero's say on this. He knows more about it.
  • xero
    xero
    hm.. so I can consider that we have one month we may have a system or two, reliable enough for server.

Then I believe, we can have setup at every machine πŸ˜€ And for one month's time we can have a tiny assignment for everyone for a month, on the basis of which we can select the final developers.

Do you guys think we can work this out?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    xero
    Do you guys think we can work this out?
    You have any kind of doubts regarding this? πŸ˜•
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Can mine be handy?
    I have a laptop and a internet conenction of my own and will be available in month of april.
  • xero
    xero
    Well first of all let me tell you the primary intent of a "server".

> Designing and configuration of db will be at one place. So in case anyone needs to change the db then it will be accessed by all.

> With a common XMPP server, it will be easier to test the application that will be developed. Just by sharing the code between CEans we can test it πŸ˜€

> we can avoid a lot of ground work πŸ˜€

So the server is not actually for me alone, but for everyone who'll be involved with the project.

I case of any more questions, shoot !!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Durga Superb πŸ˜€ ! So can we assume that you have read the very first post of "xero" in this thread and and your system can fulfill all the requirements.? Right?

@xero & Maro So server problem is solved. Durga's machine will be our main server and mine can be made as back up. Right?

So xero- just after durga's confirmation , you can post here in detail -what all we "Server" side people are supposd to install and configure in our system. OK?

Also Please do tell in brief about the next step after database and server settings.ok

Thanks
  • xero
    xero
    Durga, thanks a tonne for your support. I guess we all can start with first downloading following softwares

1. XAMPP from apache friends (it has got mysql server with a web ui interface, i'll brief on it later) #-Link-Snipped-#

2. Jabber/XMPP based IM server Openfire(previously known as Wildfire) server
    Ignite Realtime: Downloads

3. Hamachi - an interesting tool ;-)
    Download Hamachi - free - latest version

4. JRE version 6 and above

Infact not just durga, everyone should download these, esp developers

PS: Hamachi will be used to create a diff network between the server users (a VPN basically)
  • xero
    xero
    Can anyone assist me setting up a VPN through hamachi? If anyone can, kindly do tell the timings for it !

Thanks
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    xero
    Can anyone assist me setting up a VPN through hamachi? If anyone can, kindly do tell the timings for it !

Thanks
    What assistance you need Sir, can I be of any help ? πŸ˜”

@Durga we are still waiting for your confirmation? πŸ˜€
  • xero
    xero
    using HAMACHI we've to create a VPN. Now those who are interested in assisting me, should go through the documents in the site, thus creating a new network.
    Now other users eg. myself, will join that network. Now the one who creates the network should responsibly put a password for users who want to join the network.

In case after installing HAMACHI, you have some trouble accessing internet, do uninstall it and restart the machine πŸ˜€

And for the final time, please avoid addressing me as "Sir"
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    @Durga Superb πŸ˜€ ! So can we assume that you have read the very first post of "xero" in this thread and and your system can fulfill all the requirements.? Right?
    Sorry Lady! I missed this post of yours
    My system specification:
    HD:120GB
    RAM:3 GB
    Processing:2.4GHz
    32 bit operating systems

Yup week ends are fine for me.
    Tell me what and all I need to do for this lappy, i will configure them during coming week ends!
  • xero
    xero
    yes, this system configuration would be more than enough for what we really need. I hope you have got a broadband / any wired internet connection.

Well first of all we need to set up a VPN with the help of hamachi. Since that's going to be possible on weekends, so meanwhile i have mentioned the installables for downloading. As a first step you can begin with downloading πŸ˜€

Thanks
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    what OS are you expecting?
    I have windows and ubuntu

as well I was thinking of back up server 😁 do we need any?
  • xero
    xero
    I'm really sorry for the delay in replying. And i'm glad that you have windows and ubuntu. Well within next 2 weeks, i'll be shifting my whole development environment to ubuntu 9.04(waiting for the final release of 9.04, don't want to take risk with nightly builds πŸ˜›)

If you are well versed with ubuntu, it would be awesome to setup the environment in it. Its bit challenging but its equally fun too. All the server installables are available in linux platform also.

If you wish to play safe, then i'll prefer windows, but i would personally suggest ubuntu.

However considering other dev people regardless of their OS choices, i would suggest to go with windows because its easier to undo the changes done by the servers πŸ˜€. And apart from that it'll be easier to provide instructions in case of any issues.

As of now i tried to setup the servers in windows and it worked perfect. Did anyone else tried ?

If you guys really need i can provide a few configuration snapshots for it?
  • xero
    xero
    durga, regarding the backup server, we really don't need to worry about it right now πŸ˜€.
    Firstly we should concentrate on readying up the environment and start with development. Any delay may lead to intrusion of lethargy in minds.

As a matter of fact i have some code ready by my side. If you guys need I can provide a few snippets which can atleast assist us in connecting to the server !
  • xero
    xero
    Another thing i would like to point out is.. if somebody is not able to proceed with the development due to any cause, please do inform us, so that we can incorporate the remedial procedures ASAP !

durga: I would really suggest that you start the downloading of the servers and then I can tell you how to proceed with the installation over any IM.

Thanks
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    hello xero i read this thread today only. T
    his project of yours looks interesting although i am a second year student..
    i am willing to participate in the project or atleast try to learn some things if you think i can..
    if you think i can participate please guide me something about things i should be knowing..
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Well, Why Hamachi? Why XAMP?

Why not just a server application that accepts Sign in, Add, sign up...etc. any requests & opens some sort of communication channel throw ports, like IRC or conversations run throw it, like user sends a message to the server & server to the other user.

Ah, Why not?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    MaRo
    Well, Why Hamachi? Why XAMP?

Why not just a server application that accepts Sign in, Add, sign up...etc. any requests & opens some sort of communication channel throw ports, like IRC or conversations run throw it, like user sends a message to the server & server to the other user.

Ah, Why not?
    Good question, I am with you Maro πŸ˜”
  • xero
    xero
    Well Maro,

You might be knowing that the primary intent of IRC is synchronous conferencing, just like the one we have at CE home page πŸ˜€, although it also provides one2one private communication with data transfer which is again p2p and channels etc. And i believe not many people are well acquainted with IRC.

Well if really need to use IRC, i don't think we really need any development. We have ready made IRC servers and clients πŸ˜€

Now our primary intent is Instant Messaging or conferencing, bit less sophisticated than an IRC something like gtalk or yahoo messenger, with additional notifications and features from the CE portal.

I haven't went through the whole of RFC for IRC but as per my experience I strongly feel that an IM system will be more friendly than a IRC.

However if possible we can have a new project out of IRC, we can try to replace the current CE conf facility with an IRC thing, howzzat! This can even help non CE members to interact with the CEans more efficiently!

Now about the using of Hamachi and XAMPP.

Hamachi will be used for creating a VPN between the developers and the moderators πŸ˜€

XAMPP is a installable from apache community containing primarily mysql which we'll be using as a database for the XMPP server. Alongwith that apache web server in it provides a php based interface for the mysql, making things easier with mysql.

I hope i'm able to resolve your queries MaRo. In case of further queries.. shoooooooooooot πŸ˜€
  • xero
    xero
    sarvesh: thanks for your interest in this project. Well since you are sophomore and really interested in this project, i guess you can start by reading this thread from beginning and shoot as many questions as you can πŸ˜€, i'll try to answer all of them.

I really can't promise whether I can put you as a developer for this project as we have constrained the team size to be not more than 4 people, however i bet that you can learn a lot more by the discussions in the ongoing thread.

However what you can do is get an indepth knowledge of the protocols used in this project and may be you can guide us in going a correct direction.. sounds cool huh !!

Happy learning πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Xero

hamachi IP:5.195.43.86
    system name:Crazyengineers

i am trying to download openwildfire and XAMPP, but the file which is being downloaded is not a complete one .

I will try downloading the same stuff form different sources and will update by COB tomorrow
  • xero
    xero
    Durga: That's great. If you have any trouble downloading the files i'll help you out in figuring out the mirrors.

I'll be done with download the ubuntu 9.04 by tomorrow, and most probably i'll setup the environment then only. After than we can try to set up the VPN via hamachi

Good going 😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    When server set up is done, do tell my work beyond reading about xampp and all that stuff. 😐

One more thing I will be unavailabe for around a month so will start after that only and I don't have any ubuntu and all. :sshhh:

Thanks
  • xero
    xero
    that's fine πŸ˜€
    Anyway i'm not even suggesting to do setup in ubuntu. I'll still prefer the windows setup. Hope you have a great time in April. Catch ya after then..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    filezilla could not be installed. Do we have any other ftp software which can be used to download and upload files from and to the server?
    Do you want me to download another version of filezilla?

OK I have one more question which i forgot to ask before i intsalled himachi.

nortel VPN client runs on my system for my work puposes will that be affected?
  • xero
    xero
    wow durga, seems are actually all set with the setup. Now all we have to do is configure the openfire server with the mysql from xampp, and voila the server setup will be done.

Hamachi will be just another vpn connectivity apart from nortel's so i don't think that should be a problem. In case, due to hamachi the nortel doesn't respond then you better remove hamachi. I don't want you work to stuck coz of it !
  • xero
    xero
    Is you hamachi connection still up, as in about half an hr i'll try to connect to your machine.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey Xero
    I could access my office work machine 😁
    so both Nortel and himachi can co exist

Yup, I have set up a master password I will PM you the master password. i am still connected and will be connected say till 5 pm ( its 4 05 pm here).
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    OK GUYS!!

XERO is the BOSS!

after 3:30 mins of SKYPE conversation we could finally configure the server.

sample users: xero, durga
    [​IMG]

SAMPLE CLIENT:
    [​IMG]

SERVER:
    [​IMG]
    [
  • xero
    xero
    Thanks to durga, we were able to complete the very first step for development in 3.5 hrs and we are pretty confident that next time it won't take more than an hr.

Now we are pass through our first check point. Now the development phase begins. As I mentioned earlier we want our team to be comprised of not more than 3-4 developers. So the hunt begins NOW!

I'm looking for people who are well acquainted with java basics.

So we'll begin with a first few programs related to connection to server, use the existing users in the database and try to chat with other users.

Waiting for replies...
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well done durga & BOSS 😁! Hey even I also want to set up once all these things on my system . Just for checking all that stuff πŸ˜‰ Do it really need so much time to do so? I am afraid after reading word 3:30mins πŸ˜”

Anyways, you guys can count me in for development. Rest I tell you-one is our BOSS only and about "Maro" I am not sure. Maro Please make cofirmation. πŸ˜€ and if you need more guys, I think you can easily find them, this CE is full of Java programmers. πŸ˜‰

"Best of Luck" for your CE-Messenger project. πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    xero
    As I mentioned earlier we want our team to be comprised of not more than 3-4 developers. So the hunt begins NOW!

I'm looking for people who are well acquainted with java basics.

Waiting for replies...

I am somewhat familiar with core java and j2ee concepts...
    Dont forget to add me in your team...
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    Hey even I also want to set up once all these things on my system . Just for checking all that stuff πŸ˜‰ Do it really need so much time to do so? I am afraid after reading word 3:30mins πŸ˜”
    hmmπŸ˜€ sure. I am preparing a document( not againπŸ˜’) and try sedning it across infact i guess i can keep it in repository πŸ˜€

it really doesnot take 3 .5hrs, since me and xero were on skype and intinatl systems settings needs to be adjusted, we took a while long.
    but now it should not take long and with excellent guidance of xero.. not to wory at all
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey thanks for putting your efforts durga. πŸ˜€

Durga , while installing XAMPP , I found Apache was not getting installed , nor even it is getting started though MYSQL and FileZilla were working fine. Any ideas what could be the reason?

One more thing is this XAMPP -secured enough? I think because of some security reasons , it is giving problem in my system? πŸ˜•

Saying- "Port no 41 or SSL is in use" something like that blah blah. message it was showing. Any ideas?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    firstly I could not install filezilla as the port what filezilla needs to be installed was busy,I suspect port41 error what you are talking about might relate to the same.

i did not face issues with XAMPP, but with HAMACHI remote desktop cleint, and it was a firewall issue
  • xero
    xero
    Thank Durga, for documenting things up, it would be really helpful for others. If i can get some time, i can make a FAQ list, which you can add in that document.

Out of 3.5 hrs of setup, was spent most time in firewall issues and lunch(india), snax(Aus) and may be some time in setting up Hamachi.

The actual configuration time may not have exceeded more than 30 mins πŸ˜€

Shalini: regarding you XAMPP installation issue, it seems like there's another application which is using the port to be used by Apache for being installed. And if i'm not wrong, the apache uses port 443 for SSL. If this is the port which is in use, then you can change this configuration, which i'll tell you later, after confirmation of the port

And as per security, yes it is secured enough 😁. By the way i would love know about your security concerns.
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Great work guys! I'm ready to code. Tell me how soon can we begin working on this CE Messenger project?
  • xero
    xero
    Since we are all set to code, then first of all lemme give a list of downloads for development :-

1. Eclipse as a IDE for development ( I don't mind if anyone else uses Netbeans, however i'm more comfortable with eclipse. So if eclipse could be a unanimous decision, then nothing better than that)

2. Openfire server, XAMPP, Spark client(for testing the server)

3. Jdk 6 update 11 or 12 (infact any update will do, these are the recent ones)

4. An api called "Smack" which we'll use to interact with server using XMPP protocol. It would be better if we can spend some time like 20-30 mins to know about the protocol, by going through its RFC πŸ˜€

Link for SMACK
    Ignite Realtime: Downloads

This weekend i'll come up with a basic code for interaction with the xmpp server, if possible i'll also try to present a high level design of the client.

And apart from that it would be a lot more convenient if we could chat over some IM client. I'm can avail on gtalk/ skype/ yahoo.

I hope everyone can come online on Saturday for this. As we'll have to setup hamachi to access the server πŸ˜€. And i believe that durga could be the best person, to tell the timings, since she's from sydney we may have to follow her way !

Any questions..shoooooooooot !
    ciao
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    My useful 0.02 USD:

Once any thread reaches 50+ posts, it's a very good idea to start a new thread with [Part - X] attached at the end of the title. Make sure you post a summary of previous discussions in the new thread so that it's easier for others to follow.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    xero
    I hope everyone can come online on Saturday for this. As we'll have to setup hamachi to access the server πŸ˜€. And i believe that durga could be the best person, to tell the timings, since she's from sydney we may have to follow her way !

Any questions..shoooooooooot !
    ciao
    hmm,

I wake up 4.5hrs ahead of you guys, so its you guys who need to decide.
    Xero was the toehr day fine with you ie 3.30AST ( 11:30IST) ?

We can still stick to it. There is no EARTH HOUR this weekend , so I can be in for more time.
    and duriing day,. I will again attempt [preparing document and giving out before we start up. Xero. I cant be of any help for coding though.πŸ˜”πŸ˜”
  • xero
    xero
    hey K, sorry for continuing this thread, we'll start a new thread once development begins.

Durga its absolutely fine if you are not into coding, however you are still the server person πŸ˜€. And since you are ahead of all of us, I want you to give us a time window. The last arrangement was pretty apt for me. Was it around 2.30 pm AST?

On coming weekend, I'm planning that, every developer should be able to use hamachi for VPN setup, and with the help of a Spark I can introduce everyone with openfire !

So please shalini and MaRo, if you are in it would be nice, if you can join us !
  • xero
    xero
    Hey people I'm sorry, but i won't be available on weekend. I'll be very busy on other things. So in the mean time, I guess Durga can assist you in knowing the server details and setting up a VPN

ciao
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    xero
    On coming weekend, I'm planning that, every developer should be able to use hamachi for VPN setup, and with the help of a Spark I can introduce everyone with openfire !

So please shalini and MaRo, if you are in it would be nice, if you can join us !
    BOSS ! You are going damn fast.

When can I get a document kind of thing for server set up? Will I get it after making all set up myself or may be never? What is this Spark hmm? πŸ˜• Oh yes that port no thing also I will try to confirm it today in anycase.

Thanks
  • xero
    xero
    Shalini.. don't wait for any document. You are a java person and i believe that you are mature enough to understand terminologies for setting up a basic server. I believe you can do it πŸ˜€

And regarding things going fast, believe me its not that i'm going fast. The thing is, at CE things go awfully slow πŸ˜€

Don't wait for any document(s), just go ahead with the installations, its very basic one and you can handle it. In case of any issues shoot questions.

Rest is upto you.

For the rest of the issues, durga is proficient enough to introduce you with the environment.

Happy Learning !
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Okies , I don't need an docment. I was just asking so that my work could get speed up. Anyways here comes first problem for you -

See the error message below which I got while Installing XAMPP. Sorry for making it delayed. Couldn't get time. You were right it was not port no 41 rather it is 443. So now tell me how can I change configurations for this?

[​IMG]

* Looking for reply today only so that atleast server set up can be done soon *

Thanks
  • xero
    xero
    Well since i'm busy like hell this week. I won't be able to guide on this much, but as far as i'm concerned, there must be other servers installed on your machine which are using this port. It may be either a web server or an enterprise app server. Just have a look the installed applications.

PS: BEFORE PROCEEDING MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A BACKUP OF THE FILES YOU ARE EDITING

However there is a way to correct it, there's file named httpd-ssl.conf in \xampp\apache\conf\extra folder. Seek for line Listen 443; i think that if you can change the port number here, it may work. And for port 89 there's a file named httpd-xampp.conf in the same folder, find out 80 in that file; and replace with some other port number.

If it works then that'll be great πŸ˜€

I may not be available for the rest of the week on forum. So in case the above remedies doesn't work, chill. Coz in that case i'll need to remote access you computer and do the changes !

Happy learning.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    BOSS ! You are going damn fast.

When can I get a document kind of thing for server set up? Will I get it after making all set up myself or may be never? What is this Spark hmm? πŸ˜• Oh yes that port no thing also I will try to confirm it today in anycase.

Thanks
    hey if you are waiting upon a document from my end , I am sorry it got delayed, I am stuck with all thw ork here, will try providing one during this week end.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @durga its ok dear. πŸ˜€

@BOSS yes Apache Tomcat is installed on my system. I was also guessing that problem may be due to it only , anyways will check again. I think now it can be installed. Configuration files which you told me i already checked them to look for "443" but couldn't find it, anyways this time will check carefully.

Thanks for the hint. I think I can fix it, otherwise you will have to fix.πŸ˜€
  • xero
    xero
    shalini: Good to know that you have found the problem πŸ˜€. Glad to know that. However it seems that you have also installed apache tomcat as a service, that's why its constantly using the ports 80 and 443.

There's a way to manually start Tomcat every time instead of installing it as a service. You can try that out, so in this way you don't have to remove it.

Well I guess, we can decide a time for tomorrow's meet.

Durga kinda provide a time window for tomorrow; I think that it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs for the complete demonstration and you can drive it your own way πŸ˜€

For the rest, please try to carve out a stipulated time out of the durga's time window.
    As of now the tentative list of members attending would be Shalini, MaRo and ms_cs. I would also suggest to keep the count either 4 or 5. I really don't know how good is hamachi with higher number of connections.

So guys, all the best for tomorrow. Please try to attend this, its fun πŸ˜€
    Catch ya guys on either Sunday or Monday.

All the best
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Actually my tomcat is used as bundled tomcat with netbeans. May be this could be a reason. I will install it tonight and will see everything.

After that openfire needs to be installed ,then hamachi right? and then finally connecting to durga's machine right?

@Boss By the way -you will not be available tomorrow right?

@Maro & @ms_cs - Is everything set up in your machine if you guys are with us?

Thanks
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I am with ...the team... and I think in tomorrow's meet Our Initial configuration will be finished ..I just downloaded the softwares as Xero told...
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I need to understand what are the requirements for the IM to be used by users?
  • xero
    xero
    Well i didn't wanted to bring this up. But from the start i wanted this project to follow an efficient development lifecycle, so i decided to use agile(rudimentarily).

As from the very beginning I said that we won't target big requirements, infact we'll target small requirements, and resolute one at a time.

However in brief our main objective of this project as of now would be a basic IM feature with a client side agent πŸ˜€

I'll try my best to design it in such a way that we won't have to pry the existing code to cater new requirements.

For those who couldn't this post, no need to worry, i'll explain this to all when right time arrives πŸ˜€

N'joy
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hey boss,

Changing those configuration files didn't work because problem is while installing only. Apache is not at all getting installed. I have tried uninstalling my tomcat server as well as whole netbeans also, then also same problem while installing. I am not able to figure out where this port no 80 is being used πŸ˜”. Please look into this if any ideas.

Thanks
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Shalini: Troubleshooting apache installation should not be part of CE Messenger thread. Maybe you should start another thread for apache configuration.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    Hey boss,

Changing those configuration files didn't work because problem is while installing only. Apache is not at all getting installed. I have tried uninstalling my tomcat server as well as whole netbeans also, then also same problem while installing. I am not able to figure out where this port no 80 is being used πŸ˜”. Please look into this if any ideas.

Thanks
    hey,
    can you try doing a netstat -a at comamnd prompt?
    run->cmd ->netstat -a
    it should tell u all the ports ur system is using
    also once done, you can see what is using those ports by doing a telnet to your own system on that specific port
    'telent localhost 443 ' should give you the results
    if the port is being sued by your own system ( in screenshot myspace is my computer name) you can try closing off few processes and then restart , that should be fine.

[​IMG]
    and also, i have found this software which tell you the TCP connections and ports established to your computer #-Link-Snipped-#
    you should be able to close conenctions
    [​IMG]
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Following is a small list of questions fired at me by our team members(few added from my side also πŸ˜‰). I guess "Xero" Sir can answer them better, so posting them here.

Qn 1: In which language , we are going to develop CE-IM?
    Qn 2: If our project is going to be developed in Java , then why this xampp and openfire and all this stuff?
    Qn 3: Why we are not making simple authentication using http request? Its disadvantages and advantages of xampp?
    Qn 4 : What xampp is going to do for us in this project?
    Qn 5: What is apache- server right? Then what is this openfire -server right? Two servers? πŸ˜• Why?
    Qn 6 :What is this phpMyAdmin?
    Qn 7: OK if xampp is chosen for mysql(for DB), then why we need xampp, not any other database like SQL?
    Qn 8:FileZilla is not required in our project right? Then why we need to click on that option while installing xampp?
    Qn 9: Is it possible to create CE-IM without using mysql and xampp?
    Qn 10: Except in login and authnetication things, where else DB is going to be used?
    Qn 11: What all tables we will maintain?
    Qn 12: What kind of coding will be done in development phase?
    Qn 13: How UI is going to be made?
    Qn 14: What does this Apache provide to our project?
    Qn 15: Can we get an idea, how our CE-IM will be in look and feel?
    Qn 16: What is the thing that server's machine will have and developer's machine will not have?

[ List to be updated with more later...]

We all team members are seeking the good explanations of these questions. πŸ˜€
    @xero Please find some time to answer our queries πŸ˜€

Thanks !
  • xero
    xero
    Well, by now some of the members who have actually tried setting up the development environment might have found it pretty frustrating or bit interesting πŸ˜€

Now some of you might speculate what people from non CS members are doing in this project. The core idea behind this is just to give them an opportunity as to look into how some of the projects of this stream are like. And I believe that if the non-cs people are even able to grab a minute % of the whole thing going, I'll consider my job well done.

Now as for those who are finding this project boring and time consuming, all i can say is that, you can't expect to see the fruits just by putting the seeds, we have to work a lot harder initially for it πŸ˜€

Shalini: thanks for putting questions "on behalf". But i really want all team members to put questions all by themselves rather than "behalf". So i want to you to curtail the list to those of yours only.

However if these are the questions which are popped in your mind, then all i can say is to go through this thread from the beginning and you'll find most of the answers, and for the rest at least CS people should be able find it by themselves πŸ˜€

PS: all those questions in the above which are asking for "possibilities", i'll say it is possible in any way you want it to be, however i chose this way to make it work πŸ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    * Looks like you have taken things in wrong sense *
    I don't know why this non-CS and CS thing is coming in discussion. FYI, it is n't like that people are finding it a BORING. 😐

These were few basic questions coming to my mind to have a better idea of servers or protocols that we are going to use because we are using them on your say only.None of us has any ideas. Of course, we trust you but just to get better ideas about them.Better knowledge leads to better world right?

At last, I got answers of my all questions though only very few have been already answered VAGUELY in this thread. 😐

Questions of rest of people , I tried my best to answer them as much I was awared of.

* No more questions *

Thanks a ton !
  • xero
    xero
    Thanks a lot for your support Shalini πŸ˜€

Sorry for my bad, for making a few assumptions there in my previous thread. Its because a few people couldn't find it interesting and zealous enough, so i thought that i would it quote it in πŸ˜€

I'm also sorry for the fact that I haven't taken any suggestions from other team members regarding the use of servers and databases in this project, I'm still open to it. Please no need to feel cornered or do a few things just because i've said so πŸ˜€
    My primary intent is to begin with work as soon as possible without delaying and indulging in conversations, otherwise it would loose all the zeal.

Now Shalini, as you said that a few have been vaguely answered, please come up with those and i would be glad to answer them πŸ˜€. However i would really like all the "WHY i'm using this" type questions with suggested possibilities.

Happy Learning
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    What is the next step we are going to do???
  • xero
    xero
    Sorry for such a late reply, I'll be pretty busy this whole week including weekends. In the mean time those who have configured the server can test it with spark over VPN (hamachi).

Obviously for that, we'll need to create users directly from the database if spark doesn't allows it.

Happy learning.
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    While creating an new account in spark,, it shows an error message as,,"Could not connect to server",,I gave the servername as "localhost",,,
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Shall I know in which language we are going to create the UI of CE-IM?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *drops jaw*

Wow, great progress guys! Keep it up! πŸ˜€

Do you all have crazyengineers.net accounts? If so, please start doing some documentation at the CE Labs site:

#-Link-Snipped-#

A first suggestion is to upload a guide on how to install the XAMP stuff. At the moment, members would need to go back and forth the thread looking for the info πŸ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ash
    the quide is huge with screenshots, could not load it onto Google docs as it allows onyl 500MB πŸ˜”
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Team Guys...Tell the procedure to test the Spark...I have given the server name as localhost while creating the account,But it shows an error that,,"cannot connect to server"
  • xero
    xero
    hey ms_cs i guess you can ask durga for the document. Coz everything is there πŸ˜€
    Well durga i guess you can help him with that !

Happy learning !
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    durga
    @ash
    the quide is huge with screenshots, could not load it onto Google docs as it allows onyl 500MB πŸ˜”
    Durga, what image format are those screenshots in? Try saving them in either GIF or PNG formats.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hmm,

May be I can take mail Ids and post 😁
  • Differential
    Differential
    Guys, don't mind asking a very basic question here!

What kind of CE Messanger are we doing here? Pls explain!
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    ms_cs
    Team Guys...Tell the procedure to test the Spark...I have given the server name as localhost while creating the account,But it shows an error that,,"cannot connect to server"
    dude, so sorry.. trust me I was REALLY ( infact still πŸ˜” ) with all the stuff going around me..
    ahem. OK before you can log into spark, I belive your user name and details should be set up in the computer, only then you will be able to operate, you connecting to the server will not work as server is still not ready to accept your request πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I have created the database aikon as in the document...whether I have to create any table in the database aikon?
    How can I create the user to work with spark???
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    That problem is solved...I have created the user.Now I can use spark...
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    πŸ˜• In which language we are going to develop Messenger>????
    @Xero do you want to use PHP???
  • xero
    xero
    Hey people, sorry for being away for a while. I was pretty busy with plethora of personal things going around πŸ˜€
    Anyway,
    By the end of this week, everyone in team should be able to install and configure servers at their place and use spark to connect them. I believe that by now, Durga, Ms_cs have done it. I really expect the rest to finish it by the end of this week. In case of any queries shoot us; i believe that ms_cs, durga and I would be able to answer them πŸ˜€

On Sunday i'll try to post a basic code which will be responsible for connecting to server provide authentication

For development i'll provide the guidelines and the details in a new thread !

Happy learning !!
  • xero
    xero
    ms_cs: We'll be using Java as language for development. And since our first prototype would be a desktop agent, we can't use php for that. I don't have any hands on experience with php, however you can look for ways to do it with php and make a new project out of it 😁
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    xero
    ms_cs: We'll be using Java as language for development. And since our first prototype would be a desktop agent, we can't use php for that. I don't have any hands on experience with php, however you can look for ways to do it with php and make a new project out of it 😁
    I don't have any bit experience in PHPπŸ˜”.But I heard that PHP also used for developing UI too πŸ˜€..
    But java is a best choice,,,We start with the java...For desktop client whether we are going to use applet or swing..??? or any other ???
  • xero
    xero
    For the start we'll use our dear command line interface πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Nice ...do you think that It will be better if we use such in development phase..?
  • xero
    xero
    development "phase", hm..
    Don't worry 😁

Please continue discussions here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

such assignment pulled my attentiona and i took a while in solving it but then i reachd some friends and they said my answer isnt convincing enough diffirintiating (calling function)...
Name: *Engineering Trade: Electrical Location: Hyderabad *Occupation: Working as a software Engineer Work Experience: 2+ *Hobbies & Interests: Reading books, listening to music, watching movies and blogging *Aim in life:...
Totally Blank so far Areas of Interest: 1. Image Processing - Image Segmentation and Recognition 2. Web Applications - nothing Any suggestions
Help needed with contraptions heyy!!! m a 2nd yr btech student of nit kurukshetra.. i need some help regarding the topic contraption. i want to knw about the differnt energy...
Depression is here and the politicians are about to hyperinflate their fiat currencies to nothingness as a finale furioso hell-tax. So we go for gold, which always has been money...