CE Project Idea: CE Firefox Extension!

CEans,

All regular members of CE Forums have discussed lot of project ideas. It makes sense for us to come up with a small project idea and convert it to reality by collaborating with each other on/offline.

Most of us use FireFox web browser. Why not develop a small/useful firefox extention which can help CEans around the world? Our CEan - NiLaY had developed CE Search Engine plugin for firefox long ago. We need something new πŸ˜€

So, post your ideas of a firefox extention for CE. [​IMG]

We'll the choose CE - Coders to work on the project and - change the world 😁

Let the ideas flood in !

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    This website might be useful: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yeah, we need an idea for a plugin!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    [bump]

Anyone?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Two questions are coming to my mind

1. Why CEans like Mr Nilay, Mr electron1112 are not active users anymore and those who are active like Mr Maro don't want to interact ?

2. From where we can get the codes of Javascript engines, browsers and plug-ins and all to look at?

If anyone can answer these questions, I think such projects can get started πŸ˜€. And once started they will finish also someday. Isn't it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @ Shalini : Start from scratch - for javascript engines [this is a HUGE thing!]

For this project, take a look at the link in Ash's post above.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    @ Shalini : Start from scratch - for javascript engines [this is a HUGE thing!]

For this project, take a look at the link in Ash's post above.
    Please don't mind but my first question is still unanswered.πŸ˜€
  • Lock-Os
    Lock-Os
    How about a Unit converter? That would be very useful for everybody.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes! Lock-Os is right. Imperial <-> Metric conversions would be darn useful.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Lock-Os
    How about a Unit converter? That would be very useful for everybody.
    Great. This won't take more than 10 minutes to do. Anyone? We may release this extensions for general public on Mozilla.

I'm thinking something that is linked to CE. Say, something that would give a little pop-up when a new thread is started in your favorite section? Simple RSS fetcher?
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    [Spam]
    I'm going to be very pessimistic here. None of our earlier projects that got started have seen the daylight. Are we starting one more non-finishing project?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Mayur: We are trying to come up with a small project that can be successfully completed.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ mayur

Actually, NiLay's (where IS he?) search plugin is still considered complete right? Thats something... πŸ˜›

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Replying to myself again? This has become a common occurrence these days πŸ˜”

Anyway, with regards to a unit converter, there already exist one great one:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

We could still work on it, for experience sake. Or, work on another simple idea.

Some more useful tutorials:
    -> #-Link-Snipped-# (official and hard one)
    -> #-Link-Snipped-# (a bit outdated but easy to follow)
    -> #-Link-Snipped-# (another easy one to follow. Recommended)

The problem is, it will take a while to learn from scratch πŸ˜› Its not hard, just takes a little.. proactiveness.. to learn πŸ˜‰ The general development flow would be:

1. Setting up Development Environment
    2. Code a simple example, understanding contents of manifests
    3. Use existing compilers (easy way)
    4. Using XUL
    5. Testing and Packaging

What skills must CEans be aware of?
    - Javascript
    - A little of XML
    - CSS
    - DOM

We dont need to be experts in them.. just understand them to some extent to do some manipulation or tweaking.

*phew*

So, what say?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    Replying to myself again? This has become a common occurrence these days πŸ˜”

What skills must CEans be aware of?
    - Javascript
    - A little of XML
    - CSS
    - DOM

We dont need to be experts in them.. just understand them to some extent to do some manipulation or tweaking.

*phew*

So, what say?
    Hi ash,

1. Skills-wise may be somewhere I can be of any help but don't know how to start from scratch πŸ˜”.

2. I have sent a PM to Mr Nilay about this but he has not replied yet. πŸ˜”. I doubt whether he got it or not.

3. A suggestion for you (take it or ignore it your wish πŸ˜€) -"Don't restart so many projects at the same time that people get afraid of not contributing in even a single one."
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Are you afraid, shalini? πŸ˜›

I restarted this and CE:IM to get some synergy going. We are now working on the same issue, but completing it will solve two objectives at once!

A note to everyone:
    In light of Shalini's point, you dont have to do contribute to each project, whether its CE:IM, CE Bot or CE Arm. Choose the one you like πŸ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    I'm not very good in web development. Should start with something, I guess..
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    Are you afraid, shalini? πŸ˜›

A note to everyone: In light of Shalini's point, you dont have to do contribute to each project, whether its CE:IM, CE Bot or CE Arm. Choose the one you like πŸ˜€
    Yes I am afraid of giving my word for its completion. By the way you have proved that you are just opening up the old projects and not taking them seriously. Well for your kind information, I am taking them seriously. I didn't forget(though you forgot to mention it in above list) about CE documentation project which you restarted few days back.I have started taking it seriously though you haven't.So now you imagine my state with almost 2-3 projects including a biggest one (my office project). Right?

silverscorpion
    I'm not very good in web development. Should start with something, I guess..
    Good to see Scorpion that you have showed your interest in two projects. But let me clear you one thing in the starting only "Giving word and doing in reality" both are two different things. I will not leave you if you said "NO" (or seemed to be not inetrested later in those projects ) later. So gentle advice for you "Think twice before sayin "YES".ok.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    πŸ˜”πŸ˜”
    I'm crying now..
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    All I wanted was to learn something in web development.

@shalini
    Ok now, seriously,
    I wish to be a part of this project. i love firefox and I sure wanna do this. But I'm stuck as to where to start and how to proceed.
    So, being almost an expert, you must guide me here. you can start by telling me what to read. There are so many out there you know..
    And I can promise you that I wont become uninterested in this. Happy?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    All I wanted was to learn something in web development.

@shalini
    Ok now, seriously,
    I wish to be a part of this project. i love firefox and I sure wanna do this. But I'm stuck as to where to start and how to proceed.
    So, being almost an expert, you must guide me here. you can start by telling me what to read. There are so many out there you know..
    And I can promise you that I wont become uninterested in this. Happy?
    That is the spirit Scorpion. Keep it up. yep I am happy πŸ˜€.

So we are 3 members right now- Me, You and Maro(our leader) ok?

[PS: Most Probably me and Maro will talk on this today 3 pm IST(though not sure πŸ˜”). Please check if it suits you, join us. ok ]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shalini_goel14
    By the way you have proved that you are just opening up the old projects and not taking them seriously. Well for your kind information, I am taking them seriously. I didn't forget(though you forgot to mention it in above list) about CE documentation project which you restarted few days back.I have started taking it seriously though you haven't.So now you imagine my state with almost 2-3 projects including a biggest one (my office project). Right?
    Shalini, do you have a personal problem with me? Relax! πŸ˜›

It is your choice whether you want to commit or not. I open up projects to allow others that are interested to join. If you want to seriously commit with 4 projects simultaneously, then that is very impressive and admirable. But that does not mean others are lazying around πŸ˜‰

My commitment with the CE documentation project is in the screencasts. I have stated that explicitly.

And, its not good to assume things, Shalini. I am working on the CE Arm and CE Bot in the background, even if it doesnt show on the forums. Please be considerate next time πŸ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ash
    Shalini, do you have a personal problem with me? Relax! πŸ˜›

It is your choice whether you want to commit or not. I open up projects to allow others that are interested to join. If you want to seriously commit with 4 projects simultaneously, then that is very impressive and admirable. But that does not mean others are lazying around πŸ˜‰

My commitment with the CE documentation project is in the screencasts. I have stated that explicitly.

And, its not good to assume things, Shalini. I am working on the CE Arm and CE Bot in the background, even if it doesnt show on the forums. Please be considerate next time πŸ˜€
    Oh no never I have no issues with anyone here. Please don't take me wrong. I am extremely very sorry if I have hurted you anywhere.πŸ˜”
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its cool, we are trying to clarify misunderstanding, thats all. If I was hurt, I'd not use any smiley icons πŸ˜‰

Alright, lets see what you guys can come up with! Good luck!
  • Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    [Warning]
    [Spam]
    Please settle your scores outside of CE Labs. There is a Chill Chat section, Debate Masterminds, Shout Box and your emails. Be careful!

Ash, Shalini- You guys are seniors. It is your responsibility to motivate new bees and encourage them to contribute here. Dont show them your fighting skills. Chill folks! Lets have fun 😁
    [/Spam]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yes, you should start encouraging the new bees too, super senior πŸ˜‰

We have settled this via PM. And there is no fighting. You call that a fight? Pfft.. *grin*

(I refuse to use the spam tags!)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CEan - NiLaY has been spotted online on CE Forums today. Hopefully, he'll help us drive the projects forward
  • NiLaY
    NiLaY
    Olrite! I'm awake.

Allow my humble self to digest all of this... and trust thy muscles there shalt be progresseth.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Awesome, NiLay is back! πŸ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    mayurpathak
    [Warning]
    [Spam]
    Dont show them your fighting skills.
    [/Spam]
    Ha ha ha !! fighting and me πŸ˜‰. No way 😁

NiLaY
    Olrite! I'm awake.

Allow my humble self to digest all of this... and trust thy muscles there shalt be progresseth.
    Superb Nilay Sir πŸ˜€. So are you going to lead this project now?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi all,

Inlcuding other related thread's information also in this same thread instead of keeping them scattered in separate threads.

Please check this link also. πŸ˜€

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • NiLaY
    NiLaY
    Features we discussed the last time-

1. Login from the Bar (without hitting the page)
    2. Extreme shortcuts (links to fav section/threads)
    3. [Probable] Notification of replies/watched-threads
    4. Formatting messages
    5. Posting messages
    6. Birthday notifiers, Today's birthday (maybe)
    7. Almost whole of CP (Profile, Signature etc. edit)
    8. Latest Posts ( Dynamically updated )
    9. Real time chat with online members ( possible? ) (this would take care of CE Messenger! )
    10. Current CE Strength
    11. Latest updated thread

Suggestions/comments invited.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Superb πŸ˜€ !!!!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Good stuff.

I suggest we work on the things that doesnt require login credentials for now, things like 2, 6, 8, 10, 11. At least, until we are confident of using the vB authentication securely πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hmm, let me get in touch with vB folks and see what they say!
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Is the search pulg-in done by Mr Nilay completely done or something is pending in it?

For search plug-in refer following:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

@Big_K: I guess vb authentication thing can be taken into account later.First we should start and finish very few simple things like popups and notifiers and etc. Will CE Admin/CE editors and CE Mods would like to add their ideas into it?
    @Nilay: Thanks a lot for your ideas and support.
    @ash: Links given by you are too good. I will go through them by today EOD.
    @Scorpion & @Maro: Go through all the links given in this thread by tomorrow. We will discuss any doubts in it tomorrow here only.ok

Thanks πŸ˜€
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    I'm trying to believe that the FF thing is not pointless.

I'll read the FF extension tutorials & see what can I do.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    I have a question in my mind, what is an extension manager and what is its role in a browser.Any ideas anyone here? Please don't give answer in layman's language. πŸ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    NiLaY
    Features we discussed the last time-

1. Login from the Bar (without hitting the page)
    2. Extreme shortcuts (links to fav section/threads)
    3. [Probable] Notification of replies/watched-threads
    4. Formatting messages
    5. Posting messages
    6. Birthday notifiers, Today's birthday (maybe)
    7. Almost whole of CP (Profile, Signature etc. edit)
    8. Latest Posts ( Dynamically updated )
    9. Real time chat with online members ( possible? ) (this would take care of CE Messenger! )
    10. Current CE Strength
    11. Latest updated thread

Suggestions/comments invited.
    So taking all the things into account and adding "Unit-Converter" also as suggested by CEan Lock-OS. Can anyone let me know which one of these functionalities we(Me and Scorpion-not sure about Mr Nilay and Maro) should start first? Please put more light on that specific functionality also. I mean how it should be in look and work according to everyone. πŸ˜€

Thanks for your all feedbacks/ideas/suggestions/comments.πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Shalini, any progress in this front? Are you able to keep in contact with NiLay and MaRo?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Not yet started even πŸ˜”

Nilay and Maro are not going to contribute in it and I am going bit busy to devote my time to it. Only Scorpion and me left. Well will look into it soon.

Thanks for reminding me. πŸ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Shalini, have you applied for a crazyengineers.net email address? If so, please add any info regarding this project here:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Its still under construction, but feel free to add info in any form you wish. We will streamline and organize the information later.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok Thanks ash for the info πŸ˜€

Now we are a team of 3 people - Me , CEan "ms_cs" and "SilverScorpion". You ash please keep on asking us once in a week about this project because we all 3 are lazy people in working.:sshhh:

Rest "All the best" to our team for startig this soon.😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Setting up Development Environment

So ms_cs and Scorpion, let us now put some fire in this. πŸ˜€

• To start practising for coding part, ms_cs and Scorpion download "Extension Developer" and add it in your firefox (better latest versions) Use following link for this:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

• After this you people will be able to see Extension Developer option in Tools Menu of firefox.In it you can find "Javscript Environment" option which will let you practice for javascript programs after clicking on "execute" tab.It also has "XUL Editor" -same thing you can do with this editor also.Check ash's link for this -
    #-Link-Snipped-#

• For a sample project structure that should exactly look like-Check following link
    #-Link-Snipped-#

------------------------------------------------------------------
    For javascript, I have given you a link. Are you guys following it or have any issues? Please do let me know. Better start looking for XUL also if you can. I guess no use of going for CSS and DOM things right now.OK
    And keep on coming with questions here that are coming in your mind. I will soon come up with a sample example for making things clear.

@ Other CEans- If anyone has any knowledge regarding this project to help we three poor people, Please take possible steps πŸ˜€ else remain away from this thread 😑

[PS: Everyone here is free to correct us on our way of approach πŸ˜€]
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    In this weekend,sure, we discuss about this,,, I will see about the toolbar creation, but not now...After looking the links you have given, we will discuss further...
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Adding one more thing for learning XUL (learning this is must guys !)

XUL tutorial for beginners

If you guys want to share anything you know much better than me - Please do πŸ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Great links there..
    I've almost finished the Javascript tutorial you pointed out in w3schools.
    Next, will start with XUL.
    Between, check this out. I've been reading through this also..

#-Link-Snipped-#

happy learning everybody..
    I firmly believe this project will become a reality in the very near future..
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    Great links there..
    I've almost finished the Javascript tutorial you pointed out in w3schools.
    Next, will start with XUL.
    Between, check this out. I've been reading through this also..

#-Link-Snipped-#

happy learning everybody..
    I firmly believe this project will become a reality in the very near future..
    Good Scorpion and good link πŸ˜€

How come I also think the same that this will become reality? πŸ˜› May be we have a very good team right? 😁
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    So Team( ms_cs & Scorpion) - What is the update here? Are you still with me?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    shalini_goel14
    So Team( ms_cs & Scorpion) - What is the update here? Are you still with me?
    Welcome back! πŸ˜€ You were pretty quiet the past few days, hehe.

Go CEans, we can finish this project!
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    we have exams in our college this week. I'll be busy.
    Exams get over by saturday. Then I'll start with XUL.
    And then, may be DOM, I dont know..
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Yes..Scorpion is correct..Exams ...this Saturday We will be free,,,Not We are free ..we can start doing our project...
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok guys, no issues. "All the best for your exams" πŸ˜€

@ms_cs Saturday I am not sure I will be free, anyways will try.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ok Team, let us start and finish it off soon. OK

@ms_cs & Scorpion Do send me your yahoo mail ids through PM soon if you have no issues ok.

So how we will work

Stage 1: We will collect ideas to keep in our toolbar. Better any of us can start a thread to get ideas from firefox using CEans.Finalize them. We can add username and password login bar later.
    Stage 2: We will make javascript and xul pages for each of the functionality discussed in Stage1. Learning and practice on Javascript and XUL is must. So please spend some time in practising few hands on it.
    Stage 3: Integration - my part
    Stage 4: Hopefully will not require any more thing. Plug-in will be ready.
    Stage 5: Enhancements based on feedbacks by users.

So those who like to work by planning is

Step 1:
    Do refer following Scorpion's link . It is excellent.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Any doubts and questions(I really mean "any") Please feel free to ask.

Step2:
    Please start making practically any rough js and xul pages . Better if can try to use events in it also.

Step3:Then we will discuss on features to keep , freeze them and will divide developing js and xul pages. OK ?

PS I: So who is going to start a thread for discussing what all things(or ideas) they want in this toolbar? Scorpion -can you do that ? Or if you have any or know already Please tell me in detail about them so that we can start developing js and xul pages soon.

PS II: Sharing code will not be a problem because js and xul files are not that bulky. Everyone is free to add any more tips/critics here.Any issues with anything here or in our approach, feel free to say. πŸ˜€

Thanks !
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep. I think I can start the new thread. I'll do it and then let's see how it goes.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    silverscorpion
    Yep. I think I can start the new thread. I'll do it and then let's see how it goes.
    Scorpion, Thanks for the reply. 😁

ms_cs -> Where are you? You are with us right? If you cannot do or don't have any interest in this, "give up" else show some "activity" in this project. OK. We are almost on start for this πŸ˜€
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    Ya..I am here...You Guys Can expect my activity in weekends...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

need guidance on 'tracking-telescope' i m a 3rd year electronic engg student... as my 'mini-project', i plan to make sum telescope which is capable of positioning itself given the co-ordinates...
I have faced this question in an interview, what is the use of FIR relay in transformer....? if anybody knows please explain me.. thanks regards ericsson
Friends, I hava a dout... please clarify My generator has a rated powerfactor of 0.8 as specified in their name plate, what happened if i have run the generator at...
hi,am a computer engneering diploma student,after 5th sem i need help in major project work.please suggest me some ideas for major projects
hi i,m trying to learn any mistake forgive me😁 CAn any one tell how to delete this thread